Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Transmission & Drivetrain (https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/)
-   -   carbon syncros vs stock (brass?) syncros for gsr s80 (https://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/carbon-syncros-vs-stock-brass-syncros-gsr-s80-2723696/)

mcgruff 02-06-2010 09:28 PM

carbon syncros vs stock (brass?) syncros for gsr s80

on the syncrotech website they have rebuild kits with the stock (brass?) syncros or carbon syncros and i was just wondering the pros and cons of each? seems like carbon would wear out faster? thanks in advance

Aquafina 02-07-2010 08:32 AM

Re: carbon syncros vs stock (brass?) syncros for gsr s80

The carbon-moly synchros are brass sprayed with carbon-moly. They generally last longer than all brass synchros and allow the synchro to bite the gear more effectively. The new carbon synchros (carbon matrix lining that is not sprayed on) will last even longer and work better, which is why the carbon-moly synchros are being phased out.

mcgruff 02-07-2010 09:49 PM

hmm interesting, where might i find these carbon matrix syncronizers? also, there don't seem to be offers for any kind of carbon syncro for 1st or 2nd.. is that not a practical application?

vanny_david 02-09-2010 10:40 AM

I actually have a concern about those carbon synchros too.

Since the carbon coating will wear out ..
the tolerance of the synchro will become loose...

Runnerdown 02-09-2010 02:17 PM

The problem I have found is that the coating is not always true and consistent, causing them to not have a lot of surface area to "bite" onto the cone. I tried a set of the carbon matrix ones during prototyping and they have been holding up perfect on a gsr transmission for quite some time and abuse now. Talk to David at Synchrotech, he is a great person to deal with.

93LsVx 02-12-2010 07:44 AM

OEM > all imo
Ive had carbon syncs in my s80 and my 1st, 2nd, and 4th all grind after 5000 miles.

Dwreck 08-12-2010 07:49 PM

You might have a different problem. Not just the synchros.

EJ1B18c 08-13-2010 12:00 AM

I have synchro-tech carbon 3rd 4th and 5th synchros. No problems even sometimes down shifting at very high rpm.

Dwreck 08-13-2010 12:12 AM

Thank you for your input. What trans are you using?

MFactory 08-13-2010 09:55 PM

The Carbon coated synchros are no longer on offer. All synchros offered by Synchrotech and MFactory are carbon-lined, similar to the oem K-Series synchros. Unlike oem though, our engagement angle is more aggressive, which helps slow the gear down even faster.