Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Wrong transmission fluid ends up stalling an automatic? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/wrong-transmission-fluid-ends-up-stalling-automatic-2691923/)

RogueStatusVT3C 12-05-2009 10:46 PM

Wrong transmission fluid ends up stalling an automatic?

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I have a serious problem on my hands.
So I was driving my car two days ago with some Castrol Import Transmission
Fluid in the car:
Attachment 465749
and ran fine. Acceleration and shifting was perfect.

Now I drive my car today only to find out that my mom's boyfriend adds
Castrol Domestic Transmission Fliud in the car:
Attachment 465750

I really thought nothing of it until I was driving. I accelerated slightly and around 20mph it stops accelerating. I had to turn off my car and turn it back on and slowly press on the gas just for it to move. I ended up having to pull over on the side of the road to turn off my car and turn it back on several times before I got home.

Does anybody know what was the problem? Could it have been the change in transmission fluid?

thumper64 12-06-2009 12:30 AM

Re: Wrong transmission fluid ends up stalling an automatic?

Yes, the change in fluid can make an auto not work. You should drain it and refill a couple times.

Your mom's boyfriend is a complete moron, go beat him upside the head with a valve cover. He should never be allowed to touch your car, or another Honda again.

Linked 12-06-2009 12:35 AM

make him pay for the fluid to change it out

supra-n-civic 12-06-2009 05:57 AM

i hate it when douche bag non relatives try to molest yoru car, and for that matter your private business. tell him to quit trying to **** your mother or youll cut his shylocke nose off.

Pothole987 12-06-2009 07:28 AM

the best stuff to use it honda automatic transfluid for these. lol get draining.

RogueStatusVT3C 12-06-2009 11:23 AM

Thanks for all the help guys, and yes I'll make sure i'll beat him with a toaster. ^_^

RogueStatusVT3C 12-06-2009 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by thumper64 (Post 40858755)
Yes, the change in fluid can make an auto not work. You should drain it and refill a couple times.

Your mom's boyfriend is a complete moron, go beat him upside the head with a valve cover. He should never be allowed to touch your car, or another Honda again.

Do you think that if I drain out the fluid and put in the right one, do you think there will be more than enough correct fluid (about 3 qts.) to thin out the "wrong" one?

The_Honda_Guy 12-06-2009 11:40 AM

Most likely you'll need to drain and fill it a few times to try and thin out the bad stuff. Also, I'd highly recommend swapping to Honda ATF. It's only like 5 dollars a quart and is the CORRECT trans fluid for the car.

Vindicator9000 12-06-2009 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by thumper64 (Post 40858755)

Originally Posted by Pothole987 (Post 40859804)
the best stuff to use it honda automatic transfluid for these. lol get draining.

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy (Post 40861576)
Most likely you'll need to drain and fill it a few times to try and thin out the bad stuff. Also, I'd highly recommend swapping to Honda ATF. It's only like 5 dollars a quart and is the CORRECT trans fluid for the car.

Yes, definitely. In my experience, Honda automatics are SUPER sensitive to transmission fluid. My CRV doesn't shift right with anything but official Honda ATF, and my old Accord didn't seem quite right without it either. I can fully see the wrong ATF causing weird problems for you because I've seen it myself.

Also: did he add because it was low, or did he add just for the hell of it? I've also found out the hard way that my auto Hondas seriously didn't like being overfilled - it caused very hard shifting. I'd imagine that underfilled might cause odd problems as well.

I would highly recommend doing a drain and fill with Honda ATF. If it still doesn't run right, I'd recommend trying a multiple drain and fill. Don't do a power flush on Honda automatics.

supersize 12-06-2009 06:05 PM

drain and refill 3 or 4 times!

RogueStatusVT3C 12-06-2009 08:39 PM

UPDATE:

Yeah, really pissed off now. Now I figure out that either I do it myself with my money or take it to a shop to get it fixed. Both which are above $50 minimum to do correctly, since you guys recommended flushing it out a couple of times.

thumper64 12-06-2009 08:50 PM

Like we said, make him pay. He screwed it up, he should have to fix it.
Bring it to Honda, tell them what happened, charge the moron whatever they want to charge you.

Also, the toaster idea isn't bad. haha.