Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   1999 Civic Si POWER STEERING PROBLEM (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/1999-civic-si-power-steering-problem-2679117/)

flowmaniacscrew 11-10-2009 09:09 PM

1999 Civic Si POWER STEERING PROBLEM

After the swap i did on my EM1. the new engine is b16a.
i install my power steering belt and everything back on.
i turned the steering wheel left and right. power steering still dont work.
power steering pump still works because i tested it already.
to test if the pump was working, i took off the line and then started the car.
it squirt out and i turned off the engine. so that means the PS Pump should still be good

the pump is making a screeching noise:

why? Help plz.

1.) how do you check for air leak?

CRX T-Si 11-11-2009 06:51 AM

Re: 1999 Civic Si POWER STEERING PROBLEM

You sure you used the right pump?

If you are using the correct pump did you check to make sure the oil ring is good on the pressure line side? the o ring is on the metal fitting that is mounted onto the pump with the 2 10mm bolts.

You don't need to check for air leaks on the PS just once you find the leak and reinstall everything you just turn it left and right to get all if any the air out of the system.

flowmaniacscrew 11-11-2009 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by CRX T-Si (Post 40605883)
You sure you used the right pump?

If you are using the correct pump did you check to make sure the oil ring is good on the pressure line side? the o ring is on the metal fitting that is mounted onto the pump with the 2 10mm bolts.

You don't need to check for air leaks on the PS just once you find the leak and reinstall everything you just turn it left and right to get all if any the air out of the system.

Yeah because the JDM motor didnt come with a pump.

no i have not done anything else buy install the belt and then turn the wheel left and right.

i will check the oil ring soon and give you an update.
but how do i know if it's still good?>

CRX T-Si 11-11-2009 10:08 AM

If the O ring looks a bit flat then you need to replace but if the O ring looks round your good however look for any cracks on it.

It's spilling from that connection right?? the one right at the pump?

flowmaniacscrew 11-11-2009 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by CRX T-Si (Post 40607934)
If the O ring looks a bit flat then you need to replace but if the O ring looks round your good however look for any cracks on it.

It's spilling from that connection right?? the one right at the pump?

nothing is leaking. my buddy says that the power steering fluid is not going through. if it was i should see it move or something.

btw: what does the O RING do?
does it help the PS-FLUID move?

CRX T-Si 11-11-2009 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by flowmaniacscrew (Post 40603483)
i turned on the engine n it was squirting.
why? Help plz.

1.) how do you check for air leak?

Oh you said it was squirting that is why I mention the O ring, and squirting usually means leaking fluid.

The O ring on the pressure line keeps the line sealed so pressure does not seap out.

The PS pump works right away once you hooked up everything and put Honda PS fluid then you are good to go, no bleeding necessary.

For my PS system when I first installed it I used 2 bottles of Honda PS fluid and that is all it took when it was completely dry.

If your PS does not work then you may have a bad pump.

flowmaniacscrew 11-11-2009 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by CRX T-Si (Post 40608014)
Oh you said it was squirting that is why I mention the O ring, and squirting usually means leaking fluid.

The O ring on the pressure line keeps the line sealed so pressure does not seap out.

The PS pump works right away once you hooked up everything and put Honda PS fluid then you are good to go, no bleeding necessary.

For my PS system when I first installed it I used 2 bottles of Honda PS fluid and that is all it took when it was completely dry.

If your PS does not work then you may have a bad pump.

will ahahha i get what you are saying. i took off the line where the PS pumps to see if it actually did pump. and yes sir it did.

MY POWER STEERING PUMP IS MAKING THIS SCREECH NOISE.
IDK IF IT COMING FROM THE PUMP OR THE PS PULLEY.

CRX T-Si 11-11-2009 11:05 AM

screeching noise huh........

In cold weather when a pump is going bad it would make this noise like it's running out of fluid.

by the way what kind of PS fluid are you using??

flowmaniacscrew 11-11-2009 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by CRX T-Si (Post 40608581)
screeching noise huh........

In cold weather when a pump is going bad it would make this noise like it's running out of fluid.

by the way what kind of PS fluid are you using??

Honda PS fluid.

when i turn it quit doing that screeching noise. but when i'm just on neutral nothing moving it does that screeching noise. so i guess the fluid is not going into or through.