Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/)
-   -   Honda Fluids vs others (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/honda-fluids-vs-others-2670990/)

Jordanasm 10-27-2009 03:10 AM

Honda Fluids vs others

hey guys, I'm about to do a brake fluid change, change my mtf, and top off my other fluids. Do you think that Honda fluids are really "better" then lets say some other companies?

honda.lioness 10-27-2009 05:16 AM

Re: Honda Fluids vs others

Originally Posted by Jordanasm (Post 40436415)
hey guys, I'm about to do a brake fluid change, change my mtf, and top off my other fluids. Do you think that Honda fluids are really "better" then lets say some other companies?

Here is my view based on years of owning Hondas:

Brake fluid -- any high quality aftermarket brake fluid is fine.

Hydraulic clutch fluid -- see brake fluid above.

Manual transmission fluid -- Honda OEM bought from dealer. I would not rule out some of the recommendations for other MTFs here, though. I would never use motor oil in the transmission; use of motor oil is outdated due to industry changes in motor oil additives.

Power steering fluid -- aftermarket stores like Autozone, Pep Boys and Napa sell a Honda specific PS fluid that is fine. Just make sure the aftermarket fluid container says it is for Hondas. Failing to get the Honda specific fluid can destroy the seals on the PS system.

Coolant -- either Honda OEM or orange Havoline Dexcool. The Dexcool says it is specifically designed for aluminum yada engines requiring yada. I have been using the Dexcool since 2002. I buy the undiluted version and then add distilled water. Do not use tap water.

Engine oil -- any good motor oil appropriate to the age of the engine is fine.

Jordanasm 10-27-2009 07:05 AM

^ thank you.

CerealKiller 10-27-2009 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by honda.lioness (Post 40436828)
Here is my view based on years of owning Hondas:

Brake fluid -- any high quality aftermarket brake fluid is fine.

Hydraulic clutch fluid -- see brake fluid above.

Manual transmission fluid -- Honda OEM bought from dealer. I would not rule out some of the recommendations for other MTFs here, though. I would never use motor oil in the transmission; use of motor oil is outdated due to industry changes in motor oil additives.

Power steering fluid -- aftermarket stores like Autozone, Pep Boys and Napa sell a Honda specific PS fluid that is fine. Just make sure the aftermarket fluid container says it is for Hondas. Failing to get the Honda specific fluid can destroy the seals on the PS system.

Coolant -- either Honda OEM or orange Havoline Dexcool. The Dexcool says it is specifically designed for aluminum yada engines requiring yada. I have been using the Dexcool since 2002. I buy the undiluted version and then add distilled water. Do not use tap water.

Engine oil -- any good motor oil appropriate to the age of the engine is fine.

Very well put.

djblive 10-27-2009 10:31 AM

I'll always use Catrol 5 30 or 5 30 highmileage

ajpturbopittsburgh 10-27-2009 03:41 PM

I believe amsoil fluids are much better than OEM fluids. Go to their site and look at the specifications for the fluids. The temperature thresholds and most of the results from the tests prove them to be better.

Honda is not a fluid company, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Castrol, etc. are

The test results that AMSOIL displays are by third party I believe.

Retribution 10-29-2009 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by ajpturbopittsburgh (Post 40443425)
I believe amsoil fluids are much better than OEM fluids. Go to their site and look at the specifications for the fluids. The temperature thresholds and most of the results from the tests prove them to be better.

Honda doesn't make their own fluids, the fluids are made by fluid companies and put in a bottle that says honda.

Alex_G 10-29-2009 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by ajpturbopittsburgh (Post 40443425)

For most drivers off the shelf fluids will allow your vehicle to last a long time. If you plan to drag/auto-x/boost your vehicle AMSOIL fluids would be an excellent choice.

ChargedSI 10-29-2009 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_G (Post 40463244)
For most drivers off the shelf fluids will allow your vehicle to last a long time. If you plan to drag/auto-x/boost your vehicle AMSOIL fluids would be an excellent choice.

I would agree. If your not slamming the motor for gross performance, OEM fluid would be just fine and save you a ton of money.