Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Control Arm Bushings Need Replaced - Should I Replace The Control Arms Too? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/control-arm-bushings-need-replaced-should-i-replace-control-arms-too-2669410/)

sshiny007 10-24-2009 07:20 AM

Control Arm Bushings Need Replaced - Should I Replace The Control Arms Too?

I went to Sears yesterday for a free suspension inspection. Since my car is lowered (coil-overs, kyb struts), I now know that it needs aligned since the tires are wearing badly on the inside. Since I am ordering all 4 new tires, I'm stuck waiting until they arrive from Discount Tire Direct. The guy at Sears said that my control arm bushings needed replace, for $360 incl. parts, labor and alignment. Should I order the control arm bushings or order the control arms that include bushings? I've heard it's a bitch replacing just the bushings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

joelmatt89 10-24-2009 07:27 AM

Re: Control Arm Bushings Need Replaced - Should I Replace The Control Arms Too?

are you paying for it to be done? I would do the bushings yourself I did every single bushing on my car in a single night its not that bad. Get a whole saw drill bit that is just smaller then the whole. Drill out the rubber and then there is a metal bushing that you just have to put a cut in and then you can tap it right out. The hardest part of the whole job is taking the control arms off. Doing the bushing takes maybe five minutes a bushing. The new ones will slide right in make sure you lube it up really good. Also use energy suspenion not oem. The energy ones have atleast a 1/4-1/2 inch more rubber material than oem.

Also you can do the alignment on your car yourself. Some guys on here will say you can't but they have just been brainwashed that by there tech school. I have done it everytime i have messed with suspension. My tires wear perfectly and my car drives straight as an arrow I can let go of the wheel on the highway for at least 20 seconds. When I have done alignment myself it's always been better then when I have paid for it. If you want to give it a try I can give you some tips. It is really not hard at all, once you setup everything right.

sshiny007 10-24-2009 07:30 AM

I'm gonna be doing the work myself. My problem is that I don't know exactly how a suspension works so that's why I took it to Sears. I figured they'd tell me EVERYTHING that it needed for $$. I was just wondering though because they sell the control arms with bushing online for around $99. I ordered the performance bushing for the control arms for about $55 through a local parts shop. From what I've read from your reply, it sounds fairly easy to do. I'm more of a beginner but not even a novice. I have a garage, floor jack, jack stands, tools, etc.

joelmatt89 10-24-2009 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by sshiny007 (Post 40405998)
I'm gonna be doing the work myself. My problem is that I don't know exactly how a suspension works so that's why I took it to Sears. I figured they'd tell me EVERYTHING that it needed for $$. I was just wondering though because they sell the control arms with bushing online for around $99. I ordered the performance bushing for the control arms for about $55 through a local parts shop. From what I've read from your reply, it sounds fairly easy to do. I'm more of a beginner but not even a novice. I have a garage, floor jack, jack stands, tools, etc.

Okay you'll be fine just take your time. Make sure to be gentle with your half axles don't tug on them or anything like that I have had a couple that don't want to seat correctly when they pop out. Like i said use a hole saw to cut the rubber out and then you will be able to cut through the outer metal part of the bushing with a sawzall. Don't saw into the control arm. Once you have a cut all the way through the metal, stick a screw driver in the cut and tap the handle to get the bushing to spin in that way when you tap on the end it will slide right out. You'll see what I am talking about when you do it.

manicmechanic 10-24-2009 07:41 AM

can try this also. insted of using a hole saw, you can use a torch and burn the rubber out, than cut the metal bushing out. once you get it on fire it should stay lit, just let it burn itself out, should just fall out after that.

sshiny007 10-24-2009 07:44 AM

Thanks for the assistance. I'll admit it - I'm lost when it comes to what exactly you're talking about. Fortunately, this is my project car so if I can't get it right on Day 1, it's no big deal. I've got my dealer's .pdf document to go through for pictures. ;] Plus I'm gonna print your details and hopefully they'll make more sense when I get under there. Thanks again for everything.

joelmatt89 10-24-2009 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by sshiny007 (Post 40406090)
Thanks for the assistance. I'll admit it - I'm lost when it comes to what exactly you're talking about. Fortunately, this is my project car so if I can't get it right on Day 1, it's no big deal. I've got my dealer's .pdf document to go through for pictures. ;] Plus I'm gonna print your details and hopefully they'll make more sense when I get under there. Thanks again for everything.

yeah burning it works too, sawing it does sort of make a mess. Youll see once you get all the rubber out there will be a metal sleeve still in the hole for the bushing that has to be removed. By cutting the sleeve it makes it much easier to tap it out. Here is a vid of once the rubber is out it shows the guy cutting out the sleeve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG1hQlw6xMk

thumper64 10-24-2009 10:56 AM

If you got Energy Suspension bushings, you may or may not need to remove the steel ring in the lower control arm. I am putting a set in some DA LCAs and two I have to leave the rings in, and the middle bushing I have to remove. I'm not sure if it depends on year.

The whole saw idea is a great one. joelmatt89, that's awesome.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd just get a second set of LCAs and put new bushings in those and just swap mine out. It's a pain and time consuming removing old ones to install new, but far better than using most of the aftermarket LCAs out there. Same with lower ball joints, I'd rather just swap knuckles with ones I put fresh ball joints in. When you're done, sell your old control arms to someone to do the same.

sshiny007 10-24-2009 11:50 AM

Excellent video. How difficult is it to get the bushing back into the control arm though? Do I need any special tools/equipment?

thumper64 10-24-2009 10:07 PM

Not hard if you use a vice or big C-clamp, even a bolt and two washers would do it...

Deetz 10-24-2009 10:41 PM

My bushings were shot too, i just bought new oem arms cheap, installed them and called it a day

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...011024x768.jpg

honda.lioness 10-25-2009 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by sshiny007 (Post 40405932)
I went to Sears yesterday for a free suspension inspection. Since my car is lowered (coil-overs, kyb struts), I now know that it needs aligned since the tires are wearing badly on the inside. Since I am ordering all 4 new tires, I'm stuck waiting until they arrive from Discount Tire Direct. The guy at Sears said that my control arm bushings needed replace, for $360 incl. parts, labor and alignment. Should I order the control arm bushings or order the control arms that include bushings? I've heard it's a bitch replacing just the bushings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think there is a question as to what is causing the tire wear. It could be either your suspension modification; needing an alignment; worn bushings; a bent suspension part; something else. I would ask Sears guy what exactly he saw that suggested new bushings are needed. Bushings can look pretty beat to a layperson but be fine. OTOH $360 sounds like a pretty good price for the job, especially since it includes an alignment.

For those who drive in northern snowy climates (such as Pennsylvania) where salt is commonly used, removing first the various suspension bolts and then the bushings can be extremely difficult. See http://honda.lioness.googlepages.com...sionrenovation for dealing with any bolts that do not cooperate and also some more photos of getting the old bushings out. You can try cutting the old bushings out with either a saw or torch etc., as joelmatt and manicmechanic said. But a 20-ton (or more) hydraulic press may be the best route. If you do not have one, then find a shop that has a press and pay them to press out the old bushings and press in the new ones.

I think I have read elsewhere that Energy Suspension bushings generally go in easily, like joelmatt wrote. OEM bushings can be more difficult to press in unless again you have a 20-ton hydraulic press.

sshiny007 10-25-2009 09:54 AM

I'm definitely ordering new tires this week and will have the car aligned all around once they're installed. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth spending $55 on bushings or $100 on new control arms with bushings installed already.

sshiny007 10-25-2009 10:03 AM

I also found some parts on Ebay. Here's a link for everything for the front suspension for only about $130 including s/h:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Contr...ht_1229wt_1165

theBEST 10-25-2009 11:08 AM

all of u have missed the point of why his tires are weaet ring prematurely on the inside edge of his tires props to "honda.lioness" its because ur car is lowered like u said and the top of ur wheel is slanted inward = NEGATIVE CAMBER!!!! I would invest in a fr. & rr. camber kits and replace ur torn/deteorated bushings, replace ur tires, and then do ur 4 wheel computerized alignment. its the only way to go and im 99.9% sure ur most torn bushing is ur rear trailing arm bushings and i think thats what the sears guy was talking about so make sure ur just not replacing parts if they are not needed. anyway good luck and hoped this helped.

sshiny007 10-28-2009 04:19 AM

I've decided to only change the control arm bushings instead of the entire control arm. Next question though: Should I remove the entire control arm to change the bushings or can I do it from under the car?

joelmatt89 10-28-2009 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by sshiny007 (Post 40449290)
I've decided to only change the control arm bushings instead of the entire control arm. Next question though: Should I remove the entire control arm to change the bushings or can I do it from under the car?

def remove the control arm i would never leave it attached that would make it way harder. Start putting some sort of penetrating oil on the bolts know so by the time your ready to change them they will come off easier.

Also I am curious like honda.lioness why do they say the bushing are bad, if it's just because tire wear then don't change them did they inspect the bushings and determine they were bad.

sshiny007 10-28-2009 06:04 AM

They inspected them and determined that they were bad. I don't know for sure if the alignment is off or not, but the tires are wearing heavily on the inside. I haven't had the car that long, so I'm not sure if the alignment is off all around or just the front. I know that the car is lowered and when I jacked it up last night, the wheels were definitely moving more freely than they should be and the bushings are needing to be replaced. I'm planning on replacing the bushings, getting the new tires on and then having NTB align the car for me. They offer packages for a full-year for $109, unlimited alignments.

blaze_125 10-28-2009 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by manicmechanic (Post 40406064)
can try this also. insted of using a hole saw, you can use a torch and burn the rubber out, than cut the metal bushing out. once you get it on fire it should stay lit, just let it burn itself out, should just fall out after that.

Actually, you don't even need to take the rubber out!
Get the bolt sleeve out(the metal sleeve that runs through the center of the bushing)
Then with a hack saw cut a slit right through the rubber and outer metal ring
Find a socket that will fit inside the control arm hole, but big enough to sit on ring
And now just hammer it out.

If your control arms are still good, it's alot cheaper to change the bushings than it is to change the whole arm.
I made the mistake on my gf's car. I got her 2 brand new control arms for 100$.
Then it was time to do my car, and the same 100$ got me bushings for the front, the rear, and it also got me trailing arm bushings.

honda.lioness 10-28-2009 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by sshiny007 (Post 40449290)

OEM trailing arm bushings can be replaced with the trailing arms left on, as long as you buy or rent the Schley 65100 "trailing arm bushing X-tractor" tool. To get to the trailing arm bushings and use the tool, you just need to put the rear on jackstands, remove the rear wheels, and remove a few bolts. I see the tool being rented on Craig's List lately, for one. Otherwise new it will run you around $130 to $175. Ebay has them cheapest right now.

All other bushings have bolts passing through them (fastening control arm to chassis), so the bolts have to come out, and so the control arms have to come off, to replace the bushings, like joelmatt wrote.

Ditto what theBest said about suspecting incorrect camber as the cause of the inside wear on the tires.

blaze_125 10-28-2009 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by honda.lioness (Post 40450096)
The trailing arm bushings can be replaced with the trailing arms left on, as long as you buy or rent the Schley 65100 "trailing arm bushing X-tractor" tool.

It depends which replacement bushing you go with and even then...
If you replace the trailing arm bushing with an Energy Suspension one, you don't have to take the outter ring out. So you just have to take care of the rubber that's inside the hole.