Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   idle problem when letting off gas, car dies (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/idle-problem-when-letting-off-gas-car-dies-2621846/)

B16aCRXSi 08-05-2009 04:39 PM

idle problem when letting off gas, car dies

i have a 92 hatch back CX with a JDM CTR b16b everything was running fine untill today i start my car and get ready to go to school and all of a sudden as soon as i get to a stop light and let off the gas my RPMs shoots down to 100-200 RPMs then comes back up then dies, but if i just let it idle it idles fine, give it gas then it does it again, and it sort of hesitated at one point when i gave it gas, i figured it would prob be my TPS sensor its at .5 closed and 4.5 WOT, so i adjusted it to sometihng else and it idles perfect and doesnt die when i give it gas but when i drive its just all ****ed up cuz its not givin the right fuel for the wrong adjustment, can anyone figure it out?

Former User 08-05-2009 05:11 PM

Re: idle problem when letting off gas, car dies

Return the TPS to the original settings, and then inspect the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Is the CEL ON?

B16aCRXSi 08-05-2009 07:26 PM

no cels i already set it back to original .5 closed and 4.5 WOT but its doing that idle thing at that setting, spark plugs are brabd new and wires are good, it shouldnt be the cap and rotor because then it would be doing it when i change the TPS setting which it doesnt.... so cap and rotor are out, plugs are new so thats out, wires are new thats out too.... it seriously just happend out of no where vacume leak maybe?

Former User 08-05-2009 07:30 PM

It's pretty easy to inspect the cap and rotor. I think you should also check the ignition timing with a timing gun.

B16aCRXSi 08-05-2009 07:40 PM

you think it might be the ignition timing? even tho when i turn the TPS to anything other then the right volt value it idles better without shutting off? the car runs fine when idleing in the correct volt TPS value its just when i give it gas or let off the gas then it drops down to 200 and right back up to where its supose to be unless it stalls

Former User 08-05-2009 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by B16aCRXSi (Post 39521325)
you think it might be the ignition timing? even tho when i turn the TPS to anything other then the right volt value it idles better without shutting off? the car runs fine when idleing in the correct volt TPS value its just when i give it gas or let off the gas then it drops down to 200 and right back up to where its supose to be unless it stalls

Yes, I think it's possible.

roe 08-06-2009 05:06 AM

i bet you have a clogged pcv valve, or none at all. pull out the vacuum hose that goes from the front of the manifold above the fuel rail, your car will idle really lumpy. try driving it, if it doesnt shut off on you, replace the valve. theyre under 15 bucks, i dont remember how much exactly