Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   what Type of Coolant should I use? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/what-type-coolant-should-i-use-2603522/)

dth0ng69 07-08-2009 12:57 AM

what Type of Coolant should I use?

I have a 1998 Honda civic CX,and I want to do a radiator flush, what coolant should I use? Honda?
would prestone 50/50 coolant work? what should the label say?

Ruben19 07-08-2009 01:16 AM

Re: what Type of Coolant should I use?

prestone is fine

MHDesigns 07-08-2009 01:36 AM

I live in arizona. The only reason I don't use water for coolant is because coolant has corrosion resistance to internals lol. The coolant you use does not really matter..as long as its actual coolant and properly mixed.

geneeunit 07-08-2009 03:13 AM

i use honda type 2 coolant. i think with coolant it's more of a preference thing, i think they're all GENERALLY the same.

hondamark35 07-08-2009 03:39 AM

green type... avoid anything orange. blue is ok, but it costs more. i like to mix it myself 50/50, mostly to avoid buying a half gallon of water from autozone :|

(yes, this was oversimplified to make the point that it doesn't matter as long as you avoid dexcool-orange stuff)

MHDesigns 07-08-2009 03:44 AM

is there really blue coolant? or was that a joke..damn the internet and its lack of a sense of sarcasm lol. But for real that would be jdm as **** lmao!

hondamark35 07-08-2009 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by MHDesigns (Post 39171525)
is there really blue coolant? or was that a joke..damn the internet and its lack of a sense of sarcasm lol. But for real that would be jdm as **** lmao!

haha, there was a small amount of sarcasm.. but the Honda Type 2 i think is blue..

i've also seen red in some toyotas... but i figured it's close enough to orange and far enough from green to be avoided.

thi3v3z 07-08-2009 04:00 AM

Well i see you live in seattle, so you should actually mix more coolant and less water because of the harsher winter weather. You should consider 60% coolant and 40% water so you should mix it yourself.

koa 07-08-2009 06:12 AM

I like to use 80% water and 20% coolant and a bottle of water wetter. The summer is pretty hot in TX. In october i flush it again and use prestone 50/50. I have about twenty cases of that shit sitting in my shop. Along with other brands of coolant.

honda.lioness 07-08-2009 06:56 AM

The water pump bearings of older (and newer?) Hondas are known to be vulnerable to non-OEM coolants, with some exceptions. I have been using the orange Havoline Dexcool in my Honda for almost seven years (changing every 2 years or so, which is probably too often) and have had no problems. I have had problems with early water pump failure before when using the green Prestone. I know other Honda veterans who swear by the orange Havoline Dexcool as well.

The only coolants I would use are OEM or the orange Havoline Dexcool. I buy the Dexcool undiluted, since this saves money, picking up a gallon of distilled water at the grocery for mixing.

vtechjunkie 07-08-2009 07:49 AM

I like to use the water wetter as well. It can drop the temp in the radiator a few degrees all by itself. But yes; as "koa", said I would use more coolant than water in the winter. I change mine out every spring with the Prestone and Water Wetter to help with the heat.