Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/)
-   -   Grinding noise from brakes while driving (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/grinding-noise-brakes-while-driving-2580890/)

kattmarl 06-02-2009 08:41 AM

Grinding noise from brakes while driving

Hello!
I recently purchased a used 2007 Civic EX, and it was driving without a hitch for a couple weeks. After we started getting humidity and rain - when I start the car and get it moving, I began hearing a grinding noise coming from the brakes. I would stop the car with the brake and start again.. and it began scratching again. Eventually, the sound just vanishes...
I can be driving along a freeway when out of the blue the scratching starts up again... I can tap the brake and sometimes it goes away.... sometimes not. Often, the sound just vanishes again. I'm concerned it may be a rotor issue or brake pad deformity. The brakes are relatively new 4k miles on them. So this can't be brake dust or something can it?
Any ideas? :P
~ Katt

FijiBlueFG2 06-02-2009 08:55 AM

Re: Grinding noise from brakes while driving

It is grinding while not braking? That is peculiar. Still under warranty? Get it checked out, either way.

kattmarl 06-02-2009 09:18 AM

Correct, it doesn't grind while braking. It only happens while driving.. When I brake, the sound goes away completely. When I compress the brake hard, the sound goes away and doesn't seem to come back for a while.. then, out of the blue while simply driving straight down the road... it will start in an instant.. GRRRRRRR! I tap my brake, then harder... sometimes this gets the sound to disappear.. sometimes it doesn't. Usually I pull over, hit my brake pedal hard, and start driving again... that seems to "clear" it.. but.. then while simply driving straight again... it might just start all over. :cry:

ironworker 06-02-2009 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by kattmarl (Post 38755032)
Correct, it doesn't grind while braking. It only happens while driving.. When I brake, the sound goes away completely. When I compress the brake hard, the sound goes away and doesn't seem to come back for a while.. then, out of the blue while simply driving straight down the road... it will start in an instant.. GRRRRRRR! I tap my brake, then harder... sometimes this gets the sound to disappear.. sometimes it doesn't. Usually I pull over, hit my brake pedal hard, and start driving again... that seems to "clear" it.. but.. then while simply driving straight again... it might just start all over. :cry:

Sounds like you just need a brake job. My fronts were doin that and got new one's they dont grind anymore. Now my backs are grinding getting them fixed 2morrow. The pads have a metal tab built in them and when they get low enough that tab hits the rotor and makes a grinding noise.

kattmarl 06-02-2009 09:58 AM

A brake job? That's it? It sounds so much more scary than that.. and why doesn't it scrape when I depress the brakes? Seems like a very worrisome sound... more scary than helpful.

What kind of price should I find a standard front brake job costing? I've seen quotes for $60 on up to $250. I saw the price of bake pads to be only like $30.. is that for one wheel or 2? If so, how come some places charge $250?? Does it cost them money to treat the rotor?

Forgive me.. it's my first Honda.
Thank you!
~ Katt

ironworker 06-02-2009 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by kattmarl (Post 38755508)
A brake job? That's it? It sounds so much more scary than that.. and why doesn't it scrape when I depress the brakes? Seems like a very worrisome sound... more scary than helpful.

What kind of price should I find a standard front brake job costing? I've seen quotes for $60 on up to $250. I saw the price of bake pads to be only like $30.. is that for one wheel or 2? If so, how come some places charge $250?? Does it cost them money to treat the rotor?

Forgive me.. it's my first Honda.
Thank you!
~ Katt

It stops when you hit the brakes because the pressure bends that tab back a little and then it goes back to normal and hits the rotors. My gf is a service adviors so i got hooked up. The labor for front brakes and pads should run you about 115 for labor and about 60 for pads. The back is 115 for labor and around 50 for pads (honda oem pads). The labor might be a little different were you live and i think i got a 10 or 15% discount on my pads. They turn the rotors as a part of the brake job.

kattmarl 06-02-2009 10:37 AM

Thank you sooooo much!
My Mustang never had such noises so I'm getting used to this little shuttle. I love it! Very smooth ride and great on the pocket book.
Your suggestions and thoughts have been wonderful.
Thank you again!
:beer: Katt =)

chiggin 06-02-2009 03:24 PM

Sounds like your pads could be low causing the tab to hit like others have said. Also, sometimes there is not enough grease on the break pad. This can cause it to vibrate in the caliper which can sound like a grinding noise. Just change the brake pads and you should be fine.

At $60 per axle for oem brake pads, I would suggest going with Hawk HPS pads instead. They are around $60 per axle and provide much better braking performance than oem pads (IMO).

I would highly recommend learning to change brake pads yourself. It is very easy and it will save you A LOT of money. With a little practice, it takes no time at all. When I recently change the rear pads on my Si, it took me 10-15 minutes to do both sides....and I was taking my time! If you lived in my area, I would offer to change your brake pads for half of what the shops are quoting you....maybe less!

kattmarl 06-02-2009 03:59 PM

WOW,
Thank you all for such helpful information!
I agree with you - it would be best to learn how to do the job myself.

Are there any resources online showing how to do it?
I don't have a user's manual - does it explain in there how to do the job?

Maybe somebody could do the job and record it on video for others to view and learn?

If anyone knows any online links to learn how to replace brake pads, please post them and let me know!

Thanks again to everyone for your wonderful support and replies.
Sincerely,
Katt
:beer: :hugs: :beer:

CiViCaDDict 06-02-2009 10:17 PM

I recently had the same or similar issue. When I turned, the scrapping was worse. I found out that the axle bolt was not put back onto my car tight enough after getting some work done. However, the ride also felt rough and the tire would catch funny sometimes causing the car to jerk over. It basically caused the rotor to be loose and rub the caliper.

ironworker 06-03-2009 11:03 AM

I put all oem pads back on the honda i stop alot better. I remember reading about hawk pads whats the difference? Anyone else using hawk pads want to put there 2 cents in? Id like to see what the difference is between the two,and how many miles have you got out of oem,or aftermarket pads. I got 55k out of my stock brakes.

FijiBlueFG2 06-03-2009 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by CiViCaDDict (Post 38765501)
I recently had the same or similar issue. When I turned, the scrapping was worse. I found out that the axle bolt was not put back onto my car tight enough after getting some work done. However, the ride also felt rough and the tire would catch funny sometimes causing the car to jerk over. It basically caused the rotor to be loose and rub the caliper.

That will happen. Even on OEM. Usually when turning through a pothole or on metal surface.

CiViCaDDict 06-03-2009 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by FijiBlueFG2 (Post 38770860)
That will happen. Even on OEM. Usually when turning through a pothole or on metal surface.

Yeah, I was really meaning on smooth road. I evaded potholes and bad roads like the plaque. Now I just have to replace the rotor and brake pads. Sucks because I only had them done a few months ago.

Thinking of going to slotted rotor anyway. Already had the racing brake fluid which works like a champs.

SunsetSi 06-03-2009 09:01 PM

My sister's 06 sedan had this same problem. She took it to the dealer and had them drive it around. The guy at the dealership said he didnt hear anything, when i was sitting in the back seat and clearly heard it coming from the back rotors. He said to bring it back when the noise gets louder. Doesnt sound like quality service to me :P

CiViCaDDict 06-03-2009 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by SunsetSi (Post 38777656)
My sister's 06 sedan had this same problem. She took it to the dealer and had them drive it around. The guy at the dealership said he didnt hear anything, when i was sitting in the back seat and clearly heard it coming from the back rotors. He said to bring it back when the noise gets louder. Doesnt sound like quality service to me :P

Dealers are a pain with stuff like this. Always saying, "we have to create the noise or issue." I think they are trained to use selective hearing. :thud:

chiggin 06-04-2009 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by CiViCaDDict (Post 38776882)
Thinking of going to slotted rotor anyway.

No real need to. Regular rotors will be more than fine. You won't realize the full benefits of slotted rotors unless you do a lot of the heavy braking you would see on track. Also, with slotted rotors you will go through brake pads significantly faster.