Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   Radio Antenna won't go down anymore (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/radio-antenna-wont-go-down-anymore-2578081/)

redacura 05-28-2009 02:53 PM

Radio Antenna won't go down anymore

I got a 00 GS and my radio Antenna won't go down anymore when I turn off the radio. I can hear that its trying to go down but it doesn't.

TunerN00b 05-28-2009 03:00 PM

Re: Radio Antenna won't go down anymore

Mine did that. The guys at the car wash "fixed" it by hand though. Now its permanently down... (Just push hard and it will go down, further stripping the already failing gears / motor.)

rebar71 05-28-2009 03:19 PM

^ don't do that if you ever want it to work again.

You can get a new mast off eBay for around $25. The motor gears are not stripped. The nylon string gear attached to the mast breaks. The mast is easily replaced.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=914

TunerN00b 05-28-2009 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by rebar71 (Post 38701928)
^ don't do that if you ever want it to work again.

Correct. I should have stated that. Mine will never work again (correctly) after that.

If I didn't have metallic based window tint, I'd already have put a "hidden antenna" on it. For LA area though, it works well enough when its down, and some day I'll do the S2000 antenna swap.

MD426 05-28-2009 05:15 PM

I bought a universal short black antenna from autozone for $10, works great and looks decent too. I always hated the power antenna noise.

redacura 05-29-2009 05:48 AM

Great I'll give it a try after I order the parts!

Tim2179 05-29-2009 06:40 AM

You might try to find an OEM one on eBay. Mine was broken when I bought the car and I found a good one on eBay for $25. It's a lot less of a headache to replace the whole unit.

redacura 05-30-2009 09:07 AM

Tim what do you mean, just the antenna?

HondaHeddie 05-30-2009 10:49 AM

just replacing the antenna is --almost-- a tool-less job

you know your actuator is good since you hear it

you can get a new mast on ebay for about $17(us) incl shipping
thats what mine cost

the only tool I recommend is an antenna wrench, they are cheap and keep you from scaring up the nut on top (or the paint)

1)
remove the antenna nut
(it can be difficult to slide over the end of the antenna, but it will )

2)
turn on the radio so the motor is in the UP position

3)
yank the mast out
yes, just pull it out

4)
extend the new mast and insert the nylon cable into the empty hole
NOTE: cable must have the ridges facing towards the drive gear, this will be the front or rear of car, I think my new mast had a sheet that told me

5)
turn off the radio and feed the new mast into the base as the motor pulls in the cable
(you may want a friend to work the radio power unless you have more than the usual 2 arms)

6)
put on antenna nut (remember it may be difficult to get over the top of the antenna but it will go)

7)
practice your pirate moves with old antenna mast while jammin to the radio

Tim2179 05-30-2009 01:55 PM

^^^

See, I couldn't use that method, bc the previous owner of my car, jammed the antenna in the down position, and somehow that plastic cable with the ridges broke into several pieces inside the motor. When I tried to get all the pieces out, I broke the motor.

HondaHeddies method sounds pretty easy to me.

wegotmorrison 05-30-2009 02:06 PM

Power antenna= worst Idea Honda ever had.

rebar71 05-30-2009 04:27 PM

Honda isn't the only company using power antennas. And they all break over time - that nylon string gear attached to the mast. What sucks about it is that most people will take the car to the dealer - ANY dealer - and get quoted $200 to replace what amounts to a $20 part and 30 minutes of labor.

teggsr925 05-30-2009 04:52 PM

replace it with some shorty antenna like the s2k or leave it down. when i had my teg i replaced the mast twice. so finally just said **** it and pushed it down, and pulled out the actuator.

jdm_bones 05-30-2009 05:19 PM

This is a common problem, I disconnected mine, after it went bad it's very annoying, so I just left in the down postion!

porofek 06-17-2016 01:47 PM

Bringing this thread back to life :o

The antenna on my Integra is able to come out when I turn on my radio. But when I shut it off it doesn't retract and I hear multiple thudding noises from the trunk. In order to put my car cover back on I just push it back in. Reading from the comments this is a bad idea, however, whenever I turn on my radio the antenna is able to come out to it's full height without any problems. What do I need to replace to get the antenna to retract itself after shutting off the radio? It sounds like I need a new mast? But I want to make sure before I buy anything.

Also, I'm interested in doing the S2k antenna conversion as this sounds like a solution that will avoid replacing the antenna over the years. Has anyone done that? If so, is the antenna assembly (39150-S2A-A01) enough to do the job or do I need to get the feeder as well (39159-S2A-013)?

Thanks in advance!

wunfstgsr 06-17-2016 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by porofek (Post 50950127)
Bringing this thread back to life :o

The antenna on my Integra is able to come out when I turn on my radio. But when I shut it off it doesn't retract and I hear multiple thudding noises from the trunk. In order to put my car cover back on I just push it back in. Reading from the comments this is a bad idea, however, whenever I turn on my radio the antenna is able to come out to it's full height without any problems. What do I need to replace to get the antenna to retract itself after shutting off the radio? It sounds like I need a new mast? But I want to make sure before I buy anything.

Also, I'm interested in doing the S2k antenna conversion as this sounds like a solution that will avoid replacing the antenna over the years. Has anyone done that? If so, is the antenna assembly (39150-S2A-A01) enough to do the job or do I need to get the feeder as well (39159-S2A-013)?

Thanks in advance!

Mine is doing the same thing..

fcm 06-18-2016 04:33 PM

I have not had any problems with my power ant. on my 94 RS, the trick is to keep it clean and lubed, [dry lube].

As mentioned the mast is easy to replace. 94