Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Tech / Misc (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/)
-   -   Brand new duralast axles, pieces of crap? Vibration when accelerating (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/brand-new-duralast-axles-pieces-crap-vibration-when-accelerating-2564056/)

itslogz 05-06-2009 11:01 PM

Brand new duralast axles, pieces of crap? Vibration when accelerating

Just did the following things to my car over the past week, all at once but had to work weird hours so it took me a week to complete it all, just got it back together and drove today.

New OEM front lower ball joints
New Duralast outer tie rods
New (Not remans) duralast pass and driver side axles
ES hyperflex full bushings in the front, LCA, Shockfork, radius bar's, sway bars, endlinks, etc..
New reman cardone brake calipers in the front

Got all that back together, and the only problem from what I can tell is vibration under certain acceleration periods. Mostly between 2500-4000 RPMs then it seems to slack off.

So basically what im asking is, who here has bought brand new duralast axles before from autozone and they came straight out the box being piles of crap. I know they're cheap and i shouldnt expect much, but i'd atleast expect me to be able to use them haha. Im taking them back out as soon as i get more ball joint boots because I know im gonna trash the old ones trying to get the balljoint back out of the LCA.

TIA.

deathplaza 05-07-2009 09:04 AM

Re: Brand new duralast axles, pieces of crap? Vibration when accelerating

totally not unheard of for parts stores to sell u axles that only last a day or something. happened to my friend just a week or so ago, they will give you another set if u complain but u have to make sure your car is straight first cuz what your explaining to me doesn't really ring axles. axles ussually make a clicking sound that increases with speed and is always present, or they break off the cv joint.

sierrahiker8 05-07-2009 09:37 AM

Take them back, they have a lifetime warranty. Plus they are made by Cardone, who makes almost all aftermarket part store axles.

foxfai 05-07-2009 10:00 AM

Check this thread, you might need to get a different one to replace it.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...axle+vibration

Colin 05-07-2009 06:08 PM

I've been using raxles for almost 10yrs now, and I did get one bad axle from them as a replacement. It was supposed to be new and good but it vibrated. There's just going to be a certain chance you get a bad part - if it happend w/ Raxles (who I still recommend at every chance I get) then it could easily happen to the cheaper less reliable autoparts store ones.

itslogz 05-07-2009 09:09 PM

Hmm

Well im going to take them both back and replace them with the ones they give me and hope they dont do the same shit, if they do ill try to get a refund and try some more bullshit axles i guess. and if that dont work, then ill get some raxles. Im trying to save $ if possible because im fixing to have my car painted so thats why i went cheap on this one.

itslogz 05-22-2009 11:47 PM

Alright updating this thread for people who search for the same problem to see the outcome.

Took my driver side autozone axle out, replaced it with a reman. Napa axle, and the vibration issues are gone. Im gonna replace the pass. side tomorrow with the other napa I got, just got the driver side done tonight, then ima take the duralast's back for my $120 refund that I damn well deserve after switching out axles twice because of it lol Napa's were $47 a piece for reman's with no issues and I payed $59 a piece for the autozone axles with mad issues.

Go to napa for axles, not autozone. Or better yet, go to raxles or driveshaft shop, but if you need cheap replacements for a simple DD or something, dont use autozone, plenty of others to agree with me on this one as well im sure.

Update: Installed passenger side napa axle tonight, so both napa reman's are in and 100% of the vibration is gone. Napa > Autozone for this specific part and the napa's were $30 cheaper than what i payed for the new autozone ones.

jlude90 05-24-2009 07:51 AM

my NAPA axles were pieces of shit, wouldn't seat, had to replace them and after only a few months of wear i had to replace them again

now i'm beating the living shit out of Raxles and like Colin said, they're fantastic and i as well recommend them every chance i get, definately worth it if you get fed up with the parts store stuff

A.C. Slater 08-05-2009 09:07 AM

I'm gonna bump this thread backup...
when I first put my swap in it had stock axles, after a burnout or 2 they started clicking...(NO VIBRATIONS though)...
Sooo since my friend had warranty on a set of AUTOZONE axles, we figured wed get nice new ones yay.

We did...and they came out vibrating...over time it got worse and a couple of days ago we went and got another set and also got nice new syncromesh...
well what do you know
STILL VIBRATINGG FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUu
These now seem to vibrate at lower end of the powerband while my old ones vibrated more on top...
It ****ing sucks, EVERYTHING VIBRATES, I can feel my mirrors vibrating change in the coin pocket, shit in the glove box.

Autozone axles ****ing suck **** you autozone.
Atleast i didnt spend a dime on these axles...just time and effort switching them out hoping for a non vibrating set.

Is there any way a CV axle shop can fix them/balance them? There's a CV axle shop only about 5 miles from my house...

Now I have an EK with a B series, but the axles were from a 95 GSR with ABS...would this matter at all? I don't think the axle length is different but could it have something to do?

Merc 2005 03-24-2017 08:51 AM

I installed a brand new Duralast CV axle in my 2005 Merc Sable. Four days after I installed it, the outer CV joint came apart. Upon inspection, I found the retaining ring inside the boot was so far into the spline grove that it could not have supported the spline from spinning out. It is a crappy ring that does not go completely around the groove that is machined into the spline. Therefore, it cannot hold the outer joint from sliding out off the spline. Now, thinking it was a transmission problem and having a rebuilt put in just months ago, I bought it back to the tranny shop. What did THEY do? They put in yet another DURALAST axle! I think I'll have it changed out BEFORE this one breaks!

holmesnmanny 03-27-2017 12:21 AM

Something to keep in mind for any aftermarket axles. If your oem axle has a vibration dampener(or dynamic dampener as it's sometimes called) on it then the aftermarket axle needs one too. If not then it's going to vibrate any time you accelerate.

pogeeboy27 03-27-2017 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny (Post 51239953)
Something to keep in mind for any aftermarket axles. If your oem axle has a vibration dampener(or dynamic dampener as it's sometimes called) on it then the aftermarket axle needs one too. If not then it's going to vibrate any time you accelerate.

Not necessarily. There are some aftermarket brands that make good axles without the rubber damper. Driveshaft Shop is one of them and to date I've never experienced any vibration while accelerating.

holmesnmanny 03-27-2017 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by pogeeboy27 (Post 51240306)
Not necessarily. There are some aftermarket brands that make good axles without the rubber damper. Driveshaft Shop is one of them and to date I've never experienced any vibration while accelerating.

For what specific car ?

pogeeboy27 03-28-2017 09:08 AM

K-swapped 94 Civic. I've also used aftermarket axles from Napa and those things suck. It caused vibrations like what you described.

FlewByU352 03-28-2017 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by pogeeboy27 (Post 51241343)
I've also used aftermarket axles from Napa and those things suck.

While parts stores stuff isn't the quality of OEM Honda, I've been using NAPA axles for 5 years and haven't had one break, make noise, or vibrate. I sheared a HASPORT axle where the end was stuck in the differential on a 1-2 shift, and about a year later I broke the joint completely on the other HASPORT attempting to launch at the track with a new clutch and directly after a top fuel dragster. It was sticky, wheel hop killed it instantly.

holmesnmanny 03-28-2017 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by pogeeboy27 (Post 51241343)
K-swapped 94 Civic. I've also used aftermarket axles from Napa and those things suck. It caused vibrations like what you described.

Swaps don't count. We're talking about stock cars and those that had dynamic dampeners on the stock axle.

pogeeboy27 03-29-2017 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by FlewByU352 (Post 51241851)
While parts stores stuff isn't the quality of OEM Honda, I've been using NAPA axles for 5 years and haven't had one break, make noise, or vibrate. I sheared a HASPORT axle where the end was stuck in the differential on a 1-2 shift, and about a year later I broke the joint completely on the other HASPORT attempting to launch at the track with a new clutch and directly after a top fuel dragster. It was sticky, wheel hop killed it instantly.

Love HASport for their mounts but would not trust them for axles. Sucks you had to go through that. As for Napa, maybe it's a hit or miss. Since their axles didn't work for me I'd rather spend a little more for axles that I know will work and do the job once instead of rolling the dice on Napa axles.

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny (Post 51241953)
Swaps don't count. We're talking about stock cars and those that had dynamic dampeners on the stock axle.

Why not? Driveshaft shop makes stock replacement axles and if their swap axles work well there would be no doubt their stock replacement ones will work just as well.

Scott Washburn 10-08-2018 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by itslogz (Post 38443526)
Just did the following things to my car over the past week, all at once but had to work weird hours so it took me a week to complete it all, just got it back together and drove today.

New OEM front lower ball joints
New Duralast outer tie rods
New (Not remans) duralast pass and driver side axles
ES hyperflex full bushings in the front, LCA, Shockfork, radius bar's, sway bars, endlinks, etc..
New reman cardone brake calipers in the front

Got all that back together, and the only problem from what I can tell is vibration under certain acceleration periods. Mostly between 2500-4000 RPMs then it seems to slack off.

So basically what im asking is, who here has bought brand new duralast axles before from autozone and they came straight out the box being piles of crap. I know they're cheap and i shouldnt expect much, but i'd atleast expect me to be able to use them haha. Im taking them back out as soon as i get more ball joint boots because I know im gonna trash the old ones trying to get the balljoint back out of the LCA.

TIA.

Yes I just got both of them and it's a pain I the ads I can't get the rest of the suspension to line up rite on the passenger side

shipo 10-08-2018 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Scott Washburn (Post 51748901)
Yes I just got both of them and it's a pain I the ads I can't get the rest of the suspension to line up rite on the passenger side

I put brand new Duralast axles on my TL back in May, I'm not impressed; the amount of vibration I get when accelerating, while better than the OEM axles with 133,000 miles on them, are still pretty bad. I'll be putting OEM axles on it next.

PatrickGSR94 10-22-2018 08:41 AM

I had tons, TONS of problems with AutoZone remans back in the day. At one point I replaced both axles 4 times in a year before I got a decent set that didn't vibrate the whole damn car. Now I run brand new axles from O'Reilly auto parts, and haven't had any problems at all.