Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://honda-tech.com/forums/detailing-130/)
-   -   how to polish/strip valve cover (https://honda-tech.com/forums/detailing-130/how-polish-strip-valve-cover-2548109/)

Rtboy10 04-14-2009 07:37 AM

how to polish/strip valve cover

I have found a few threads on how to polish your VC but I was wondering what people use to take the paint off their valve cover, just sand paper or paint stripped Thanks in advance.

redboost10 04-14-2009 08:05 AM

Re: how to polish/strip valve cover

aircraft paint stripper. spray it one, wait about five minutes, then just hit it with compressed air and watch the paint just fly off. wear gloves.

then if you are going to polish it instead of paint it, go over it with 1500, then 2000, then hit it with the polishing wheel and for the small area get the little polishing kit from hf for like 10 bucks. keep it maintained with mothers mag/alum polish

Rtboy10 04-15-2009 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by redboost10 (Post 38164091)
aircraft paint stripper. spray it one, wait about five minutes, then just hit it with compressed air and watch the paint just fly off. wear gloves.

then if you are going to polish it instead of paint it, go over it with 1500, then 2000, then hit it with the polishing wheel and for the small area get the little polishing kit from hf for like 10 bucks. keep it maintained with mothers mag/alum polish

Ok does hf sell aircraft paint stripper and if not where should I get it, or what else should I use.

khmers0uljah 04-15-2009 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by redboost10 (Post 38164091)

Pics/name of polishing kit? Thanks

redboost10 04-15-2009 06:58 PM

hf i dont think sells the air craft paint stripper but any auto parts store has it as well as i believe walmart has it.

dont know the name of the polishing kit. i used a 12" polishing wheel for the larger flat surfaces, then used my little dremel for the smaller area. the kit has a crap load of very small polishing wheels, cones, etc along with polishing blocks

Rtboy10 04-18-2009 07:29 AM

I have my valve cover stripped I just do not have a polishing wheel I have a mothers polishing ball would that work. I want this thing to be like mirror finish, so anything that could help me out would be great. I saw that you said u used a 12 in polishing wheel like as in one you would use to polish paint on a car. Thanks

redboost10 04-18-2009 07:51 AM

if you want it to be mirror finish, after you strip it you will have to do some sanding. and even get a small 1/2" diamter barrel sander and get in the tight spot

backyard_concepts 04-21-2009 09:03 AM

carb cleaner and a wire brush worked for me

Rtboy10 04-21-2009 03:51 PM

so what should I sand it with the valve cover is stripped I am just now wondering what I should sand it with before I polish it for a mirror finish. I dont care how long it takes I want this thing to be shining. if I from like 1000 to 2000 then polish it massive with a mothers polish ball will it work nice or do I need a polishing wheel and compound ect.

redboost10 04-21-2009 04:58 PM

for the large flat surfaces, id start out with 400, 600, 800, then 1000. it all depends on how it is, they vary a lot.

as for the small spaces, which if you dont do it all, it will never look right. get a dremel and small sanding discs, barrel sanders, etc.

the mothers ball is a waste of money i think. get a polishing kit for your dremel or air grinder along with a green polishing bar. harbor freight has a nice little kit with all the air grinder bits and polishing bars.

if you have access to a polishing wheel, that will make the job ten times easier on you.

lastly, hit it with mothers mag/alum polish to add some protection and some more gloss to it.