Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   why did my power steering belt literally come off when i was driving (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/why-did-my-power-steering-belt-literally-come-off-when-i-driving-2507476/)

khronicboy420 02-22-2009 03:41 PM

why did my power steering belt literally come off when i was driving

i have a 95 honda accord lx and me and my brother were out today taking some videos of our cars and when i was smashing down the road my power steering belt came off some how. i noticed my car all of a sudden was REALLY hard to turn so i pulled over and popped my hood my fluid was full then i noticed my belt was gone so we went down the same road and there it was in the middle of the street. my belt is good no cracks the only thing is there is a little tiny piece missing on the side of the belt so we were able to get my belt back on and i drove my car for another couple hours, racing and doing burn outs and the belt has not came off again. iam going to replace my belt cause the tiny piece that is ripped but why did my belt come off in the first. this has never happened before. any help would be great.

xhondaaccord92x 02-22-2009 06:49 PM

Re: why did my power steering belt literally come off when i was driving

it could have been that the belt wasnt tight enough or got streched..other than that the pullys might be miss aligned

gsp ej1-em1 02-23-2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by xhondaaccord92x (Post 37513827)
it could have been that the belt wasnt tight enough or got streched..other than that the pullys might be miss aligned

x2

Mickeeezy 02-23-2009 02:00 PM

i might have just been loose at the moment. but to be safe, get a new belt and make sure everything is aligned correctly. the screws may also be bent so check that as well. goodluck

khronicboy420 02-23-2009 04:34 PM

thanks alot

TheMuffinMan 02-23-2009 05:44 PM

Alignment was off

emfman 02-26-2012 03:22 PM

I also changed my power steering belt recently and it appears the belt adjusted itself 1 notch off the power steering pulley towards the drivers side of the pulley. The notch that went over the edge of the pulley got shredded and now I got a three notch belt instead of four.

Muffin Man mentioned alignment. How do you know if the pulleys are aligned correctly?

I changed my timing belt when I did the power steering belt so I'm wondering if the harmonic balancer might not be on correctly. Alternator and compressor belt are fine.

accordache 02-29-2012 10:47 AM

this incident has happened to me once already, was racing down the highway and when i took a turn my steering suddenly became stiffer. i looked under the hood and quickly noticed it was missing a belt. took it to the mechanic and he told me the damper pully was broken which caused mis alignment. had to replace the pulley and since then everything has been in its place. you should check for a loose belt before getting alarmed here.

emfman 03-03-2012 02:39 PM

Well I put a new one on. While I was installing I see that the compressor and alt belt is loose and making a squeal on start. Geez I had no idea installing some stupid new belts would be such a pain in the butt! It's been two days since the repair and so far so good. Fingers crossed!