Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/)
-   -   help asap, trying to separate lower ball joint from control arm (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/help-asap-trying-separate-lower-ball-joint-control-arm-2499258/)

InTheZoneAC 02-12-2009 06:11 PM

help asap, trying to separate lower ball joint from control arm

00 civic ex

so I'm trying to replace the front lower control arm bushings and I'm good to go with everything....but the lower ball joint.

I cannot get the arm to separate from the lower ball joint. I'm trying to use one of those ball joint separators and I tore the boot(i have energy suspension ball joint boots for backup).

Should I just keep messing with the ball joint separator or what? Please help

MAV3RiCK478 02-12-2009 07:55 PM

Re: help asap, trying to separate lower ball joint from control arm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ

works with a 1/2" or 3/8" craftsman ratchet.

ScottBell 02-13-2009 05:46 PM

See above, which I could never get to work for me.

Or, put as much pressure as you can with the press, get out the hammer and whack the side of the control arm at the ball joint.

Put some anti seize on the ball joint shaft when you put it back together and it will come off easy next time.

98coupe 02-13-2009 08:35 PM

The above method works everytime for me.

xd69 02-13-2009 10:16 PM

The method using a 1/2" drive ratchet works all the time if you know what you are doing. Me and my buddies use it all the time on numerous applications and it always works

We call it "the honda-tech special", LOL

PatrickGSR94 02-14-2009 05:29 AM

Always works for me with a 1/2" ratchet handle, and the spring/shock still installed. It pops out by itself, no jumping or smacking the knuckle required.

It will not work with a 3/8" ratchet handle, as it's too small.

Civichatch2k 02-14-2009 10:53 AM

The wetoddid method works everytime. I googled it and found a video a while back. Search on here for "wetoddid" and it should come up. Works like the bomb diggity!

Good luck!

MAV3RiCK478 02-14-2009 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 (Post 37407815)
Always works for me with a 1/2" ratchet handle, and the spring/shock still installed. It pops out by itself, no jumping or smacking the knuckle required.

It will not work with a 3/8" ratchet handle, as it's too small.

must be for DA's then because i couldn't get my 1/2" ratchet in there but the 3/8" fit just snug.

pantherninja 02-22-2009 07:10 AM

Hmm...looks like a sure thing. I will try this on mine.

specificcivic 01-08-2012 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by MAV3RiCK478 (Post 37393384)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ

works with a 1/2" or 3/8" craftsman ratchet.

I know that this is a 2.5yr old thread but many thanks mate for this!

kyral 01-17-2014 01:58 AM

i dont fully understand what they are doing in the video but ill try it

(just tried this, worked like a charm)\
this should be a stocky or in dyi guides somewhere cause "hit it with pb blaster 30 minutes before you work on it" does not always work

Sccacivic1997 01-17-2014 03:40 AM

One time I had a balljoint so bad it simply would not separate no matter what I tired. So I had to take a cutting wheel and cut in between the lca and ball joint. I of course was intending to replace both anyways so it wasent an issue but I saw when it was all off that they literally fused together...... Hmm lol

1998GsRIntegra 01-17-2014 07:53 PM

The we-todd method is the way to go on these cars at least. Other than that, the 2BFH method works great. Pickle forks are just a waste of time and usually end up ripping the ball joint boot.

m4xwellmurd3r 01-18-2014 01:08 AM

Ive got one of those ball joint seperators that have the bolt and two arms to pop them apart. It works but I just hate that feeling just before it pops. Always think im gonna get wacked by it

speedjunkie_g35 01-18-2014 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r (Post 49450108)
Ive got one of those ball joint seperators that have the bolt and two arms to pop them apart. It works but I just hate that feeling just before it pops. Always think im gonna get wacked by it

Glad I'm not just being paranoid. I use the same tool and I alway feel like I am going to get nailed.

m4xwellmurd3r 01-19-2014 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35 (Post 49451499)

Glad I'm not just being paranoid. I use the same tool and I alway feel like I am going to get nailed.

I started using a breaker bar just so I can stand as far away from it as possible. I swear one day im gonna go pop the tie rod and its gonna hit me in the face.

Id rather jump on a cobbled together extended breaker bar to remove pulley bolts and axle nuts then have my face anywhere near that damn ball joint seperator. But it works so I use it

datpiggyhatch 01-21-2014 09:55 PM

I'm replacing my clutch and can't get my ball joints out... The whole bolt moves so I can't get the nut off... Tried pb and heat... Any other ideas before I cut them up?

m4xwellmurd3r 01-21-2014 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by datpiggyhatch (Post 49458159)
I'm replacing my clutch and can't get my ball joints out... The whole bolt moves so I can't get the nut off... Tried pb and heat... Any other ideas before I cut them up?

Impact gun them off. I had one do that on my old knuckles. Impact gun knocked it loose.

Tyson 01-21-2014 11:56 PM

Yes, impact gun.

Replace the nut or retap the threads on the nut before putting it back on.

m4xwellmurd3r 01-22-2014 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tyson (Post 49458252)
Yes, impact gun.

Replace the nut or retap the threads on the nut before putting it back on.

I would replace the nut and chase the threads on the balljoint. They shouldnt really spin unless you have gnarly threads catching