Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   Bad water pump? 1998 Accord (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/bad-water-pump-1998-accord-2490727/)

Shane71701 02-03-2009 05:15 AM

Bad water pump? 1998 Accord

On a 1998 Honda Accord I'm going to be changing my water pump and I wanted to know how you would know if it is bad? Would there be a look inside the water pump?

Ive been having overheating problems lately
but it cant be anything else because ive tried almost everything except for the water pump.

journeyforce 02-03-2009 05:29 AM

Re: Bad water pump? 1998 Accord

Hello,

Well you can tell by a few things, two of the ways are below
  • If it leaking (i.e. you see coolant dripping out of the timing belt cover)
  • If it makes a noise(i.e. growling, bearing noise)

What is the car doing? Is it overheating while driving (i.e. accelerating)? If so how are the hoses? A weak hose might easily collapse and shut off the coolant flow due to the suction of the water pump. How is your head gasket?

One thing of advice, if you change the water pump, change the timing belt and other parts around it.

Good luck

L

Shane71701 02-03-2009 05:37 AM

Well.. the car only overheats while idling if its just in the driveway on for a while or if you are at a red light. Ill notice the car like shakes and then I check the temp gauge and its almost near the top of the H. I am forced to suffer in the heater so the car cools off.

Already changed both hoses and not sure about the head gasket, there is a leak but I'm not all that sure what it is near the water pump. Ill get a picture of it later today or tomorrow.

TheMuffinMan 02-03-2009 06:30 AM

Did you verify that the fans are coming on? That'd probably be the first place I'd look.

Both fans should kick in with AC on after a bit, just leave the car running and pop the hood to watch. If they don't come on it's very possible it's a bad fan motor, or a bad relay or something along those lines.

P_Adams 02-03-2009 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Shane71701 (Post 37264785)
Well.. the car only overheats while idling if its just in the driveway on for a while or if you are at a red light. Ill notice the car like shakes and then I check the temp gauge and its almost near the top of the H. I am forced to suffer in the heater so the car cools off.

Already changed both hoses and not sure about the head gasket, there is a leak but I'm not all that sure what it is near the water pump. Ill get a picture of it later today or tomorrow.

If you're finding coolant on the ground (drivers' side of engine) first thing in the morning, but not while it's running; it could well be the water pump.
When the shaft seal fails, it will leak when there is no pressure forcing it against the shaft.

You could also have an air pocket it the coolant system which is impeeding flow at low rpms.

P

Heat 02-03-2009 08:36 AM

The water pump is supposed to be inspected (or just replaced) during the timing belt and balancer belt swap which is scheduled at 105,000 miles / 84 months for your car.

I'm just saying that if you haven't changed the timing belt & balancer belt yet - as long as you are fiddling with the water pump, do it all.

Shane71701 09-22-2011 01:57 PM

Sorry for such a late response, but it turns out it was the water pump.

Steve Z 09-22-2011 02:17 PM

Good glad you found that out. I hope you followed Heat's advise and changed out the two timing belts while in there. It all usually comes in a kit for around $120 max. Both belts, the water pump and the tensioners/bearings plus seals and gaskets.

Shane71701 09-22-2011 02:35 PM

Someone else did, it was my sister's car and she got a new one.
we ended up needing to sell it so we brought it to a mechanic who found out it was the water pump (looks like I was on my way there lol) and he changed it.