Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   transmission whine (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/transmission-whine-2484245/)

freakasis 01-26-2009 04:15 PM

transmission whine

im about to buy a 95 accord ex auto for $2k. 175,000 miles. the transmission makes a whining noise, fluid is clean, and it shifts perfectly. the car is in excellant shape besides the noise. i dont know anything about automatic trannys, how serious could it be?

The-Kid 01-26-2009 04:31 PM

Re: transmission whine

I suggest don't buy it. I had this noise when the car was cold. Then go away after it was hot. A few months later, i had to replace the transmission. I think the torque convertor is going out.

Mine shifted perfectly also. Clean fluid. It was perfect. I don't know how to go about to fix this. Maybe someone else can reply?

That's just my experience.

davey5300 01-26-2009 04:48 PM

My 2nd Transmission did the same thing on my 94 EX. It blew. shifted perfectly.

P_Adams 01-26-2009 04:54 PM

[quote=freakasis;37166814]im about to buy a 95 accord ex auto for $2k. 175,000 miles. the transmission makes a whining noise, fluid is clean, and it shifts perfectly. the car is in excellant shape besides the noise. i dont know anything about automatic trannys, how serious could it be?
[quote]

You've either one of two conditions

Transmission Front Pump cavitation or
Turbine Support Bearing failure within the Torque Converter.

Both will require the Transmission be repaired / rebuilt.

P

freakasis 01-26-2009 05:49 PM

fuk...maybe i can talk him down to $1000. will a non-vtec trans work if i have to replace it?

P_Adams 01-26-2009 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by freakasis (Post 37168142)
fuk...maybe i can talk him down to $1000. will a non-vtec trans work if i have to replace it?

Yes, not a problem

P

freakasis 01-27-2009 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=P_Adams;37167363][quote=freakasis;37166814]im about to buy a 95 accord ex auto for $2k. 175,000 miles. the transmission makes a whining noise, fluid is clean, and it shifts perfectly. the car is in excellant shape besides the noise. i dont know anything about automatic trannys, how serious could it be?

You've either one of two conditions

Transmission Front Pump cavitation or
Turbine Support Bearing failure within the Torque Converter.

Both will require the Transmission be repaired / rebuilt.

P

i have built several engines and what not....if the front pump something i could replace without any special tools? if there any way to tell which it is without pulling the trans off?

thanx

P_Adams 01-27-2009 11:15 AM

[quote=freakasis;37177261][quote=P_Adams;37167363]

Originally Posted by freakasis (Post 37166814)
im about to buy a 95 accord ex auto for $2k. 175,000 miles. the transmission makes a whining noise, fluid is clean, and it shifts perfectly. the car is in excellant shape besides the noise. i dont know anything about automatic trannys, how serious could it be?

i have built several engines and what not....if the front pump something i could replace without any special tools? if there any way to tell which it is without pulling the trans off?

thanx

Sorry, I wish I had better news but; NO.
The pump I speak of is a component of the Transmission Assembly. In both cases, removal of the transmission is the first thing required. The Torque Converter (if that's all that's wrong with it) is accessable at that time. The pump requires disassembling the Transmission.

P

freakasis 01-27-2009 02:54 PM

heres what the guy said when i asked him about it...not sure what he means my torque converter fan or the "unit":

I've taken it to both the Palm Harbor Honda dealer as well as Mike at Intense Import Concepts, and both of them checked it out as ok. They both actually said that it shifts very strong for it's mileage and that the problem was the torque converter fan rubbing against the unit (the reason it gets faster with rev).

P_Adams 01-27-2009 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by freakasis (Post 37181446)
heres what the guy said when i asked him about it...not sure what he means my torque converter fan or the "unit":

I've taken it to both the Palm Harbor Honda dealer as well as Mike at Intense Import Concepts, and both of them checked it out as ok. They both actually said that it shifts very strong for it's mileage and that the problem was the torque converter fan rubbing against the unit (the reason it gets faster with rev).

Their 'fan' is my 'turbine' (same thing). It looks like a pie pan shaped fan blade assembly which is mounted to a one way clutch bearing. It acts as a torque multiplier and is what allows the engine to idle down independent of the trans.

Hey, we just tell you what it is. What you ultimately do about it is up to you. Hopefully they offered 'free towing' when that "checked out ok" comes back to bite them :)

freakasis 01-27-2009 04:01 PM

so if this is the only problem and i change the torque converter it should be fine? or does this kind of problem cause other problems?

thanx for all the help by the way.

freakasis 02-06-2009 02:52 PM

??

P_Adams 02-06-2009 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by freakasis (Post 37182296)
so if this is the only problem and i change the torque converter it should be fine? or does this kind of problem cause other problems?

thanx for all the help by the way.

If allowed to continue, it could start shedding metal filings which could circulate into the rest of the transmission.
I've yet to see one fix itself; and "Mechanic in'a Can" is worthless on this. :)

P

freakasis 02-06-2009 05:06 PM

alright, well i guess ill change just the torque converter and if the whine goes away, if it does ill just drive it and see how long it lasts.