Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   Cleaning Headlights (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/cleaning-headlights-2467610/)

wegotmorrison 01-06-2009 06:42 PM

Cleaning Headlights

I know there has probably been hundreds of Threads on cleaning your headlights, but for some reason, Honda-tech changed their site and when I search, no matter what I search for or how I search for it, it returned ZERO results.

Anyways, I rear ended some lady a few weeks ago, and I needed to get a new headlight assembly. So the body shop fixed it all up, gave me a new front bumper and new headlight assembly and it looks great, but the issue is The other side headlights are original and are not brand new, and now you can see the difference. The passenger side looks old and faded, and glazed over a bit.. wasnt really noticable till the other side was replaced. Anyone know of any effective ways to clean it up? I know its not going to look brand new, but If I can get it looking a bit better I wont be so pissed off about it. Thanks guys.

1SicLS 01-06-2009 07:17 PM

Re: Cleaning Headlights

https://honda-tech.com/forums/lighting-107/plastic-headlight-restoration-pics-video-2263291/

steveharrmr23 01-06-2009 07:45 PM

meguires plastic x and a microfiber aplicator pad works great

wegotmorrison 01-06-2009 09:19 PM

Good write up, but since I have an Integra, Im NOT taking off the bumper... Something alittle less complicated, Im not looking for absolute perfection.. Mequires Plastic X work good? anyone vouch for that?

dapek 01-06-2009 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by wegotmorrison (Post 36923219)
Good write up, but since I have an Integra, Im NOT taking off the bumper... Something alittle less complicated, Im not looking for absolute perfection.. Mequires Plastic X work good? anyone vouch for that?

Yes it's Meguiars Plastix and it works very well as long as you know how to follow directions and take your time :) Is it the exterior of the headlight that is dull or has the seal broke on the original one causing the inside to collect condensation? It sounds like its the exterior and if so definately just hit it with Plastix

wegotmorrison 01-06-2009 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by dapek (Post 36923401)
Yes it's Meguiars Plastix and it works very well as long as you know how to follow directions and take your time :) Is it the exterior of the headlight that is dull or has the seal broke on the original one causing the inside to collect condensation? It sounds like its the exterior and if so definately just hit it with Plastix

Yeah Im almost 100% sure that its just the exterior. I've never had any condensation inside of it, Im pretty sure.

wunfstgsr 01-07-2009 02:15 AM

I love mothers mag and auluminum cleaner works great and its like $5 at wallmart..

mikeSONICGSR 01-08-2009 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by dapek (Post 36923401)

Sorry to ask a question in this thread, but I didnt want to start another one. I am having the same problem, the lights are like a light yellowish color and there is condensation on the inside, what should I do?

iM x Omar 01-08-2009 01:31 PM

go to Walmart

Buy 2 things

1. Blue Shop Towels
2. Rubbing Compound (USED TO BUFF CARS)

now take a little bit of the compound and clean headlights with hand pressure...

more pressure, newer the lights get...

mikeSONICGSR 01-08-2009 05:29 PM

Is it hard to clean the inside of the headlight if there is condensation?

TunerN00b 01-08-2009 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by mikeSONICGSR (Post 36945873)
Is it hard to clean the inside of the headlight if there is condensation?

My stock headlamps in my GSR have a vent at the back. Check the tube to make certain that it is clear (its rubber), and any condensation should dry up without having to open the lamp and do anything by hand.

You can also toss one of those "do not eat" desiccant packs inside of the housing at the back to dry up any moisture in there.

Last fix for such things. Remove bulb, remove lamp from car, add rubbing alcohol through bulb hole, swish around the inside, let air dry.

beutler09 01-08-2009 06:27 PM

Mequires Plastic X work good? anyone vouch for that?

i can vouch for that as well as all my buddies!

PatrickGSR94 01-08-2009 07:30 PM

Sorry to disappoint, but you pretty much HAVE to remove the bumper to get any sort of decent results on an Integra, especially on a 94-97 bumper as the lenses are recessed so far in. Also, you really need a machine like a Porter Cable random orbital buffer to get the best results. Look in the thread linked in the 2nd post up top, and you'll see a couple of headlight restorations I've done. I used the same process on my car (sans bumper) and it came out great. I applied a clear film over the lenses after completing the restoration, and 4+ years later they still look fairly clear. I could stand to replace that film, though.

jdm91ls 01-08-2009 09:43 PM

go to pep boys they have an actual headlight restore kit it includes various grits of sandpaper, a form of liquid to wetsand the headlight which removes all the film if done properly then you clean the lense and reseal it, dont just buff it and expect it not to happen again in the very near future, i used the kit made by a company called everwear on my jdm's and it cleaned them back up to almost new

Dirty Corey. 01-09-2009 04:56 PM

Meguire's Plastx WAS the shit in my opinion until just recently. Advance Auto is carrying a new head light buffing compound made by Blue Coral I believe...it is amazing. Way way easier to use than anything else and last quite a bit longer.

95DC2GS-R 01-09-2009 05:18 PM

The bumper isn't hard at all to take off.. It's easier with it off, so you can fully get all the headlight.

1SicLS 01-09-2009 05:24 PM

take pictures of your headlights we could help you more by seeing them

IgnitionZ055 01-12-2009 06:23 PM

Use plastx. If its really cloudy use 3M's headlight restoration kit. It works perfectly.