Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   1993 accord EX-BRAKE and ABS light is ON (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/1993-accord-ex-brake-abs-light-2464388/)

my93accord 01-02-2009 02:28 PM

1993 accord EX-BRAKE and ABS light is ON

Hi,
I just saw that the red color "Brake" and yellow color "ABS" light is ON in the dashboard. It just happened today. Any idea what might be the reason ? Shold I take it to any mechanic or the dealer ?

Thanks for your help.

1993 accord EX user

hostile1 01-02-2009 02:49 PM

Re: 1993 accord EX-BRAKE and ABS light is ON

The ABS light will come on if the BRAKE light stays on while driving. Check your brake fluid level and e-brake cables at the rear wheels to make sure neither are broken.

my93accord 01-02-2009 03:39 PM

Thanks. I will check that tomorrow morning. I don't know what is e-brake cables? Could you please explain or show any picture ?
I am not expert on cars and consider me novice.

waciii 01-02-2009 05:13 PM

Emergency Brake Cables

cfoland 01-02-2009 05:46 PM

might try the speed senor as well.

P_Adams 01-02-2009 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by my93accord (Post 36879794)
Hi,
I just saw that the red color "Brake" and yellow color "ABS" light is ON in the dashboard. It just happened today. Any idea what might be the reason ? Shold I take it to any mechanic or the dealer ?

Thanks for your help.

1993 accord EX user

The Master Cylinder reservoir cap incorporates a fluid level sensor. When the fluid drops to a predetermined position, the light(s) come on.
Check the Fluid level first, check the cap connections second. If that doesn't take care of it, get back to us.

P

my93accord 01-03-2009 06:47 AM

Ok, I just checked brake fluid level this morning and it is just a "low" level. So, I will get some fluid today and fill it up. I don't see anything different in the cap connections. Hopefully it will fix it for now.
But my question is: I haven't seen brake fluid level going near low mark before and it always stayed near the "full" mark over the last several years. Does it indicate that something wrong with the brake system (may be leak!!) ?

I also noticed the power steering system fluid level is near low mark. Are these related somehow? Should I use any power steering fluid in the honda or have to get honda power steering fluid from dealer? I saw somewhere people recommending using honda power steering fluid only.

P_Adams 01-03-2009 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by my93accord (Post 36885261)
Ok, I just checked brake fluid level this morning and it is just a "low" level. So, I will get some fluid today and fill it up. I don't see anything different in the cap connections. Hopefully it will fix it for now.
But my question is: I haven't seen brake fluid level going near low mark before and it always stayed near the "full" mark over the last several years. Does it indicate that something wrong with the brake system (may be leak!!) ?

I also noticed the power steering system fluid level is near low mark. Are these related somehow? Should I use any power steering fluid in the honda or have to get honda power steering fluid from dealer? I saw somewhere people recommending using honda power steering fluid only.

Both "Low" levels are coincidental but unrelated.

Brake Fluid dissapears because of two reasons.
1) The normal brake pad / shoe wear allows the caliper pistons to move furthur out, requiring the volume behind them to be made up by fluid from the reservoir.
2) A leak from the rear of the Master Cylinder. It can be spotted (some times) as a trail of moisture leaking down the face of the Brake Booster.

Refill both and see what happens

P

JZiggy 01-03-2009 12:38 PM

93accord,

Yes, make sure to get Honda power steering fluid. I know that Advance AutoParts sells power steering fluid that is not genuine Honda but is formulated for Honda cars if you want to go that route. Just ask the guy at the counter for the right stuff.

my93accord 01-05-2009 08:00 AM

Here is the update: I have filled the brake fluid and the the light is gone. Now I will have recheck it after few days to see if the level drops again and then I might know there is a leak or not.
P Adams, Thanks for your very nice to-the-point answers.
where is the master cylinder/break booster that I should look for moist area? Is it just below the reservoir where I filled fluid?

I got a honda power steering fluid from advance auto parts. Should I use that or go to dealer (8 miles from my home) to get genuine honda power steering fluid?