Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   94 Accord: 1 windshield wiper stopped working! Need fix asap! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/94-accord-1-windshield-wiper-stopped-working-need-fix-asap-2443903/)

Mxrider52 12-03-2008 10:13 AM

94 Accord: 1 windshield wiper stopped working! Need fix asap!

OK here the deal. The other day my girlfriend had the wipers on and then all the sudden the right one stopped working! I was like wtf! But I went out n started moving it around and such and it caught again but than only worked for 1 swipe than stopped! So what could be going on? I havent had time to take them apart but I plan on it tonight! So just thought I would ask and see if anyone had any insight on this!

Also not to long ago they stopped working all together! The linkage between them had broke once before! So my girlfriends dad had taken them off her car and fixed the problem but when he put them back on the right one now hits the hood and sometimes the left one will actually go off the side of the window and than sometimes they will not even go all the way down! I am not sure how they go but I have been looking at them and was wondering which wiper arm goes on which side? Does the flat one go on the driver side and the bent one go for the passenger side?

P_Adams 12-03-2008 10:23 AM

Straight(er) one of the two goes on the right.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...NDSHIELD+WIPER

the nut at the wiper arm pivot should not be loose. If it is, then the wiper arm could flop in the breeze (Like "Smiling Bob" on a bad day), intermittantly moving and then not. If that doesn't remedy the problem then surgury is called for

P

Mxrider52 12-03-2008 10:46 AM

ok thank you! I will look into it tonight! Also is there anyway I can line the wipers back up? when her dad took them off he didnt mark where they were at! So I think that is why they are hitting the hood and flying off the window!

P_Adams 12-03-2008 10:51 AM

It may involve a lot of flayling right off the bat, but do this.
Key on
Wipers on / then off - let them "park"
Loosen that nut we've been talking about.
The arm should now be able to pivot to any spot you want
Reposition arm
Tighten same nut* (it doesn't take much)

The stud that the wiper arm attaches to has a tapered cone, which corresponds to a simular tappered cone machined in the arm as well. Tightening the nut locks the two in place.

P

Mxrider52 12-03-2008 01:11 PM

Oh ok than I will give that a try! Most of the time when they do stop they are not all the way down! But what gets me is that sometimes when they are turned up to high they will go all the way down and up and when you turn them off sometimes they go all the way down depending how wet they are I recon but most of the time they stop like a foot from where they should be at.

Oh ok that is nice to know! On my car the stud is a spline so you have to mark them!

P_Adams 12-03-2008 05:02 PM

If thats the case , loosen the nut, raise the arm off the stud and reposition it.
It's tough to diagnose cuz' there several things which can go wrong; particularly when in winter 'climes were snow builds up. Sometimes that stud itself starts loosening on the wiper transmission and just spins. Sometimes the bushings on the transmission's links wear, causing slop. Even the wiper timer module (and the wiper switch itself) can screw up causing the wipers to stop mid-stride.

I'll be watching this thread

technine 12-03-2008 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by P_Adams (Post 36591163)
If thats the case , loosen the nut, raise the arm of the stud and reposition it.
It's tough to diagnose cuz' there several things which can go wrong; particularly when in winter 'climes were snow builds up. Sometimes that stud itself starts loosening on the wiper transmission and just spins. Sometimes the bushings on the transmission's links wear, causing slop. Even the wiper timer module (and the wiper switch itself) can screw up causing the wipers to stop mid-stride.

I'll be watching this thread

I'm not trying to Hi-Jack this thread, but what would you do in case of slop? Mine slop on occassion and bang on the bottom and top sometime.

Mxrider52 12-03-2008 08:32 PM

Alright guys well I figured out indeed the nut had came loose! Yay! lol But I went ahead n took it all apart since before a piece had broke and the wipers stopped working all together!

Now my question is is there anyway I can replace the bushings for the rod units? Last time the one that connected the motor to the rod broke! Is there anyway I can replace this? From what I can tell from the link you gave me P adams is that I need number 8? The dust seal? Or the whole unit aka link unit A? Will this give me the new bushing so I can prevent the sloppiness in the rod?

P_Adams 12-03-2008 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by technine (Post 36591336)
I'm not trying to Hi-Jack this thread, but what would you do in case of slop? Mine slop on occassion and bang on the bottom and top sometime.

Just one? Both?
Any wierd noisy protests from the wiper motor?

There are actually three (3) major assemblies:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...iperDetail.gif

Wiper Arms & Blade Assemblies
Wiper Transmission
Wiper Motor

If you have slop in the L/S arm only #11 is your culprit. It's the link rod from the right side wiper pivot to the left one.
If you have slop in Both the L/S AND R/S arm(s) (but no slop between the two (they both move together without slop)) it's either #12 or the crank arm (#8) has come loose from the wiper motor shaft.

Not knowing what year Accord you've got Technine, I've supplied the illustration for the Fifth (5th) Generation (94-97). If you're a different year, let me know

P

P_Adams 12-03-2008 08:35 PM

The reply I gave Technine has the illustration for your car as well.
Do you see what you need here?

P

Mxrider52 12-03-2008 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by P_Adams (Post 36593671)
The reply I gave Technine has the illustration for your car as well.
Do you see what you need here?

P

Yea I think I know what I need but am not sure! Is number 8 what I need for the bushings for the rods? The one that broke is on the motor! Number 7 in the diagram.

Also you stated that the straighter wiper arm goes on the right? Which right are we referring to here? I think they are backwards but just want to confirm! When I lift the hood the passenger side hits the hood.

P_Adams 12-03-2008 08:59 PM

Number 7 has a ball stub (you can just make it out just above #8) to which #12 snaps on to.
Number 7 is attached to the motor shaft by #'s 25/26. Number #8 acts like a ball joint boot keeping dirt out of the bushing (which I believe resides in the end of #12)
When you see something within a "box" (#7 for instance) it means everything within that box comes as a 'Kit', in this case the dust boot (8) comes with the crank arm (7)
If you have found the bushing inserts worn, I do not believe they are serviced seperately. In this case, i would assume that would mean you need #12.

P

Mxrider52 12-03-2008 11:19 PM

OK cool! I think I have it figured out what I need! I am gonna need a new rod! The driver side wiper keep hitting the top corner of the windshield on med and high speed and than sometimes the passenger side hits the hood when they are on high speed when the window is really wet. So that tells me since that bushing is broke it allowing to much play which is causing this. I have kind of rigged it up as of now but it still has some minor play in it! Which is alot compared to the other bushings that have none.

So my question is which rod do I need for the one going to the motor? Is it number 12?

P_Adams 12-04-2008 05:31 AM

Verify it with your local Honda Parts Guy, but I'm sure (if memory serves me correctly) it's #12.

#11 connects both wiper pivots, linking them together.
#12 connects to the r/s wiper pivot linking both pivots to the drive motor

P

technine 12-04-2008 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by P_Adams (Post 36593638)
Just one? Both?
Any wierd noisy protests from the wiper motor?

There are actually three (3) major assemblies:

Wiper Arms & Blade Assemblies
Wiper Transmission
Wiper Motor

If you have slop in the L/S arm only #11 is your culprit. It's the link rod from the right side wiper pivot to the left one.
If you have slop in Both the L/S AND R/S arm(s) (but no slop between the two (they both move together without slop)) it's either #12 or the crank arm (#8) has come loose from the wiper motor shaft.

Not knowing what year Accord you've got Technine, I've supplied the illustration for the Fifth (5th) Generation (94-97). If you're a different year, let me know

P

It is both that have slop. Both tend to slam back down for each wipe of the windshield equally. Get's annoying.

Sorry I forgot to mention that it's a fifth gen, just assumed everything in here was for some reason, lol.

Thanks, I'll inspect those parts.

P_Adams 12-04-2008 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by technine (Post 36599946)
It is both that have slop. Both tend to slam back down for each wipe of the windshield equally. Get's annoying.

Sorry I forgot to mention that it's a fifth gen, just assumed everything in here was for some reason, lol.

Thanks, I'll inspect those parts.

Let me know what you find (it goes in the memory archive :) )

P

EvenStar 12-04-2008 03:33 PM

Use your arms, thats what my friend does on his old ass car :P

tom48 12-17-2008 04:49 PM

I have a 97 Accord and my windshield wipers also stopped working. I can still hear the motor making it's usual sound, but nothing moves. When I move one of them, they both move. So I assume it is just screw that got loose. Which one do I have to check?