Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Prelude (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/)
-   -   How to check for bent valves. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/how-check-bent-valves-2434308/)

JBirch_97Prelude 11-19-2008 04:38 PM

How to check for bent valves.

I have decided to take my car out of the shop where it's been for weeks without progress. I was originally told that I had bent valves so I am wondering how to check which valves are bent so I can have them replaced. The new head was put on and I was told that compression was to low and that they needed to do a leak down test. I thought the only way to check compression was with a leak down test. Anyway if there is low compression what good would a leak down test do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ethereal2pt2 11-19-2008 04:55 PM

well how low is low? if you have bent valves, that cylinder shouldnt' be able to hold very much pressure if at all. that and the engine would run like shit and you would KNOW. my guess is that you don't but w/o more info can't say for sure.

JBirch_97Prelude 11-19-2008 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ethereal2pt2 (Post 36452176)
well how low is low?

Low hundreds! How could compression be checked without a leak down test!

jay24k 11-19-2008 06:49 PM

Why not just do your own compression test? You can tell which ones are having issue that way.

ethereal2pt2 11-19-2008 08:55 PM

personally i've experienced bent valves and let me tell you even an, excuse me, retard would know that he had bent valves. your engine would run very very rough especially at idle. if you're pondering this, most likely you don't have bent valves. but a leak down test would help to indicate where your engine is at in terms of health. just got to autozone and borrow their kit. do it yourself.

95greenlude 11-19-2008 09:05 PM

^your car wont necessarily run bad if you have bent valves. If their slightly bent, there's a good chance you wont even notice.

A compression test will tell you if your motor is in good health and holds compression in the combustion chamber.

A leak down test will tell you WHAT is not healthy in your engine, and where compression isn't being held

dagle 11-20-2008 01:05 AM

well OP did specify that he got compression test results of low 100's.. which indicates that something is definately wrong.. if it isn't the head, it sounds to me like your block is the problem. however, as mentioned we cannot tell you over the interweb with the information given. get back to us with the info we're looking for and we can help you out.

JBirch_97Prelude 11-20-2008 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by dagle (Post 36456144)
well OP did specify that he got compression test results of low 100's.. which indicates that something is definately wrong.. if it isn't the head, it sounds to me like your block is the problem. however, as mentioned we cannot tell you over the interweb with the information given. get back to us with the info we're looking for and we can help you out.

That's the thing, I don't know what info i'm getting back is true or not so I am thinking about taking it out of the shop and working on it myself!

Acidcrakker 11-20-2008 04:36 AM

I remember your post from a while back. Its a shame that no one has even done anything to fix it yet, that was a while ago.

Im not that far away from where you are, and I do make local calls when someone needs a hand with stuff. I can come over there, take your head off and take it to a machine shop that can competently install new valves for you.

JBirch_97Prelude 11-20-2008 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Acidcrakker (Post 36456616)
I remember your post from a while back. Its a shame that no one has even done anything to fix it yet, that was a while ago.

Im not that far away from where you are, and I do make local calls when someone needs a hand with stuff. I can come over there, take your head off and take it to a machine shop that can competently install new valves for you.

The head is off! I am picking it up today but I don't think they are all bent! Unless you suggest I replace them all. When do you think you can come by, I will pay you for your time!

Acidcrakker 11-20-2008 08:09 AM

Well if the head is off. Than checking each cylinders valve is going to be a bit of a hassel, I can pick the head up have it inspected for damages other than bent valves, have it fixed, then reinstall the freshly revalved head for you. And you should be good to go.

I can come out Saturday some time.

Send me a PM so we can iron out the details.

logan - 03-09-2021 11:31 AM

Re: How to check for bent valves.

Originally Posted by dagle (Post 36456144)

I had my balance shaft pulley fly out of the timing cover on me the other day there, I was in there recently to put I a retainer clip and I had it back up running everything torques to spec but I guess this pulley needed locktite. I’m trying to figure out if I have bent valves or not, is there a way to figure this out without going out and buying a new belt and a new pulley ? Help would be much appreciated.

Aradin 03-09-2021 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by logan - (Post 52374553)
I had my balance shaft pulley fly out of the timing cover on me the other day there, I was in there recently to put I a retainer clip and I had it back up running everything torques to spec but I guess this pulley needed locktite. I’m trying to figure out if I have bent valves or not, is there a way to figure this out without going out and buying a new belt and a new pulley ? Help would be much appreciated.

If the engine timing belt and pulley stayed in place, the engine should be fine. The balance shafts/belt/timing have no effect on the valvetrain. These engines are commonly run without a balance shaft belt to improve performance and lower oil temperatures.

logan - 03-09-2021 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Aradin (Post 52374562)
If the engine timing belt and pulley stayed in place, the engine should be fine. The balance shafts/belt/timing have no effect on the valvetrain. These engines are commonly run without a balance shaft belt to improve performance and lower oil temperatures.

thank for the info helps a lot, forgot to add the timing belt actually snapped in half and to take the crank pulley off to take the timing cover off to get at the timing components I would near to turn the crank at least a little bit to hold it steady to break the crank bolt but the cams don’t move with it. Any suggestions?

Aradin 03-09-2021 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by logan - (Post 52374690)
thank for the info helps a lot, forgot to add the timing belt actually snapped in half and to take the crank pulley off to take the timing cover off to get at the timing components I would near to turn the crank at least a little bit to hold it steady to break the crank bolt but the cams don’t move with it. Any suggestions?

If that's the case I would just recommend removing the cams altogether so all the valves will be closed. You can then apply compressed air into each cylinder and check for leaks. If you have any big leaks or hear hissing into the intake/exhaust then it's likely you have bent valves.