Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   cost of replacing brake lines (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/cost-replacing-brake-lines-2433577/)

indtegra 11-18-2008 06:16 PM

cost of replacing brake lines

Hi,
Got my tires changed today. after driving from parking lot, my brake pedal went to the floor. i thought it might be temporary.
stopped at a gas station and saw that the brake fluid container was empty. looked under the car and the line was broke in the middle.
dont know which one. its cold out here in milwaukee. dont know how much will it cost at the dealership or any other auto shop.

if anyone had this kinda experience please let me know how much it would cost ? dealer vs local mechanic. i could have done myself but its cold and no garage. please let me know .

i need to get it fixed this week only.

thanks again.

weavertime1 11-19-2008 06:10 AM

To do everything at the dealer will cost you literally hundreds of dollars. The quick fix is to bypass the broken line or lines, and run a completely new line or lines from the prop valve to the rear line. It won't look as clean as stock, but it will function fine. Good luck!

AWD Terror 11-19-2008 06:26 AM

Try to stay away from the dealer for as much as possible.

I broke a rear brake line and didn't have time to work on it, so I sent it to a local shop. They charged me $30 to put a new brake line in.

indtegra 11-19-2008 06:57 AM

by local mechanic, do you mean car-x/meineke/midas. i called up a honda dealership and he says somewhere between 500 - 1000 without looking it. i know they are trying to rip you off.

weavertime1 11-19-2008 07:14 AM

Those places you mentioned are shaky as well, but I know a good garage is hard to find these days. Good luck!

AWD Terror 11-19-2008 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by indtegra (Post 36446487)
by local mechanic, do you mean car-x/meineke/midas. i called up a honda dealership and he says somewhere between 500 - 1000 without looking it. i know they are trying to rip you off.

No. There is a local towing company that I use when I don't have a chance to fix it myself. The owner was actually my baseball coach and a very good friend of the family, so that may have something to do with the price.

indtegra 11-19-2008 01:10 PM

cost of replacing brake lines

The dealership also mentioned that they will replace all the brake lines including front/rear and the fuel lines too. 750 $ in labor (6-7 hrs) and 400-500$ in parts. I know i could do this myself but not have the resources rite now (garage+heat). Please suggest something guys....

lmike6453 11-19-2008 02:41 PM

My mechanic charged me roughly $100 for parts on labor on a Pontiac Bonneville before.

I recommend this:
1. Gloves at wal-mart~$6
2. Sweatpants under old jeans at walmart~$10
3. OEM brake line~$40-$70
4. Old hoodie + jacket
5. Tools

All in all, about $75 if you're not lazy and can stay warm.

weavertime1 11-19-2008 06:36 PM

Those lines come as one large unit from the front to the back from Honda. Thats why they ask so much (even though its still ridiculous). I kept one set around off of one of my parts cars, and it worked out perfect when I got a car with rusty brake/gas lines. I still say a good garage could do it up for $100 to $200 depending on how many lines are bad and such. Sometimes its a lost cause under there. Good luck!

zaccers 05-25-2009 09:53 AM

Re: cost of replacing brake lines

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but a shop is trying to tell me that it will be over 2 days work to do this all.

Can anyone please comment with something realistic, not that I should DIY..?

blac00si 05-25-2009 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by indtegra (Post 36446487)

Actually, there not trying to rip you off. Thats just what they charge. If you want OEM quality, thats when you go to the dealership. Your going to pay top dollar for the parts and top dollar for a Honda Cert mechanic to work on your car.

:)

blac00si 05-25-2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by zaccers (Post 38656602)
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but a shop is trying to tell me that it will be over 2 days work to do this all.

Can anyone please comment with something realistic, not that I should DIY..?

You should go to another shop and get a quote. Don't tell them what the other shop told you and see what they say.