Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   how to determine wether starter or alternator are bad (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/how-determine-wether-starter-alternator-bad-2423585/)

elmejor 11-04-2008 01:18 PM

how to determine wether starter or alternator are bad

i want to determine whether my starter or alternator are bad, by the way my car don't start i want to know if it could be the starter or alternator, if the starter or alternator are bad can my car get sparks, cause im not getting any sparks in my car.

neardon 11-04-2008 01:21 PM

If the car turns over the starter is okay. Test the voltage on the alternator to see if its good. Your coil or ignitor might be bad. You need a manual for your car to check out those ones. Google "hondahookup manuals" if you dont have one already.

sh4mr0ck 11-04-2008 01:21 PM

Re: how to determine wether starter or alternator are bad (elmejor)

Check your battery. If your battery is dead it is most likely the alternator. Jump it, start it, and disconnect the cables, if the car dies or the battery won't hold charge for long you definitely have an alternator problem.

If the car won't even start, you have a starter problem.

(There could also be a problem with your batter, depending on how old it is.)

elmejor 11-04-2008 01:25 PM

Re: how to determine wether starter or alternator are bad (sh4mr0ck)

sh4mr0ck if my alternator is bad i wont get any sparks from my dizzy?

neardon 11-04-2008 01:30 PM

If your alternator is bad, your battery wont be able to recharge, leaving you with a dead battery and a car that doesn't turn over.

sleepingciv 11-04-2008 01:30 PM

if you have no spark its from a bad disributor not a bad alentator.The altenator has nothing to do with spark it only charges your battery to run everything

elmejor 11-04-2008 01:34 PM

Re: how to determine wether starter or alternator are bad (sleepingciv)

ok so now i know my starter and alternator are good but i just replaced a used dizzy and i also tested the coil with a multimeter and its good, could it be a relay or something?

sleepingciv 11-04-2008 01:42 PM

there are pick ups in the dizzy, did ya replace the cap and rotor in the dizzy? also did ya plug the dizzy back in after you swapped them out? i did this once lol

elmejor 11-04-2008 01:47 PM

no i did not replace the cap and rotor and yes a plug the dizzy back, my friend is telling me it could be the ignition relay underneath the dash where the fuses are at.

sleepingciv 11-04-2008 01:49 PM

it is possiable for that. did the car just die one day or what? why mad ya change the dizzy out for another one?

elmejor 11-04-2008 01:55 PM

my car is giving me problems for the last month, sometimes it would start normal in the mornings and sometimes it would take like an 1 hour before i can get it on and there were time where the car would turn on for like 3 sec and then shut off, also if i idle high or redline the car would shut off, and 3 days ago i was driving the car fine, and i turn it off for like 2 hours and went i went to turn it back on it would not start, so i check if i was getting sparks and i wasn't so i changed the dizzy and still no sparks

mmuller 11-04-2008 03:15 PM

your not overcharging right? regulator could go bad both ways.
just an idea
check ignitor wires to be tight on their spade

sleepingciv 11-04-2008 03:19 PM

Re: how to determine wether starter or alternator are bad (mmuller)

Have you tried a different ecu?
Is the ecu putting any codes out?

elmejor 11-05-2008 05:21 AM

i have not tried a different ecu but i will, and its not throwing any codes

neardon 11-05-2008 05:34 AM

Your ECU has nothing to do with the spark. Neither does the relay under the dash. Have you checked the ignitor?

elmejor 11-05-2008 05:44 AM

Re: how to determine wether starter or alternator are bad (neardon)

i check the ignitor everything is plug in but have not tested it cause i dont know how to do it, by the way my coil test was the primary test was 0.3 ohms and secondary coil test was 12.22K is it good cause shown in this article http://www.team-integra.net/se...=1114 it suppose to be 0.6-0.8 for primary and 12.9k-19.2 for secondary

elmejor 11-05-2008 07:54 AM

so with this readings is my coil good or not

neardon 11-05-2008 08:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elmejor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so with this readings is my coil good or not</TD></TR></TABLE>

The numbers are obviously out of spec. Your coil is bad.

drussell4801 11-06-2008 04:15 AM

yeah, the numbers are out of spec, but i bet if you checked any old ass used dizzy from one of our cars, it'll be out of spec a bit. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

You should replace it if its out of spec, which it is, but don't expect that alone to get the car running.

elmejor 11-06-2008 07:12 AM

Re: (drussell4801)

i just hope its not a wire harness problem