Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/)
-   -   Replacing Rsx axles (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/replacing-rsx-axles-2408673/)

RSX_S 10-14-2008 09:15 AM

Replacing Rsx axles

Anyone know if you have to drop the subframe to change the axles? Or maybe know of a good thread or "how to" for changing the axles? Anything would be greatly appreciated

WhiteOnRice 10-14-2008 12:33 PM

Re: Replacing Rsx axles (RSX_S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RSX_S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone know if you have to drop the subframe to change the axles? </TD></TR></TABLE>
No you don't have to touch the subframe, lol.

The way I do it (I've changed 4 ep/rsx axles):
Crack axle nut (36mm), jack car up, remove wheel, remove axle nut, disconnect brake line bracket from knuckle, remove 2 large bolts through the bottom of the strut (I believe they are 19mm on the bolt side and 22mm on the nut side), "pop" the inner joint with a crowbar, hit the end of the axle inwards with a hammer (where the axle nut was), have a friend push the kunckle downwards and remove the axle from the spindle (be VERY CAREFUL, this part is heavy and you don't want to mess up your lower ball joint). Install in reverse order. I believe the torque spec on the axle nut is 134 lbs/ft. Retorque after 3 days (can develop play after a couple days).

Modified by WhiteOnRice at 1:39 PM 10/14/2008

Type-Spaz 10-14-2008 12:51 PM

yeah I changed one also and didn't drop the subframe.

But I hate how the subframe has everything to do with everything... stupid car. lol

WhiteOnRice 10-14-2008 01:00 PM

Re: (Type-'S'paz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type-’S’paz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But I hate how the subframe has everything to do with everything... stupid car. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>
MYTH! What do you have to mess with the subframe to replace?

RSX_S 10-14-2008 01:04 PM

Re: Replacing Rsx axles (WhiteOnRice)

Thanks a million man. I got one more question for ya. so im not 100% sure its the axels but when im in first gear, say on a hill accelerating from a stop, it has a really rough vibration. Runs perfect other than that. Im 100% sure its not the engine or anything to do with the engine. Do you think its an axel causing this or is there anything else possible it could be? Is it possible for the transaxel to be messed up or would i get other signs? The only reason i ask is because a few years ago i had a subaru mess up with a similar thing happening and it ended up being the transaxel. Maybe im just paranoid. Thanks

WhiteOnRice 10-14-2008 01:08 PM

Re: Replacing Rsx axles (RSX_S)

90% of the time the outer joint goes bad and you should hear a clicking/tumbling noise while turning. You could also check your motor mounts. What are your mods?

RSX_S 10-14-2008 01:20 PM

I havent heard any clicking noises. Just the rough vibration when accelerating hard in first. The front of the subframe is bent but still drives okay. Im replaceing the whole subframe and installing ESMM while im at it. At least putting the rear esmm in while im doing the subframe. Only mods are eibach springs, intake, Hondata IM gasket, Short shifter, and custom catback exhaust.