Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/)
-   -   Help! 2005 Honda Civic EX- Blown head gasket (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/help-2005-honda-civic-ex-blown-head-gasket-2407009/)

Teddymiester 10-12-2008 06:03 AM

Help! 2005 Honda Civic EX- Blown head gasket

Can anyone give me aroundabout idea what it will take to fix a blown head gasket? Labor parts? I am looking at returning back to dealer that sold me the car 3 years ago. any help would be much appreciated. Also I bought an extended warranty; well now reading the small print it says soemthing to the effect: All maitenance checks recommended by the car manufacturer need to be prooveable. Is anyone aware is it stillpossible to get some claim damage with a deduction in paymentof claim? I guess what I am saying.. is it possible they will fix it and Dock me on the warranty? God Bless you for any help.

MazdaSpeedster 10-12-2008 07:44 PM

Re: Help! 2005 Honda Civic EX- Blown head gasket (Teddymiester)

i work for a honda dealership in denver. i just recently did an complete cylinder head job on an 04, the timing belt snapped with only 75k https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif. the head gasket job should not cost that much. the headgasket job done right should only charge approx 6-8 hours of customer pay, and if you do it you might as well do a complete timing belt kit too which is another 1.5 hours. how many miles are on the car? also, if you bought an extended warranty, it should be covered. did you buy the extended warranty through honda officially or did you buy an aftermarket warranty. aftermarket warranty's have screwed our customers many times

rollinlowinthecivic 10-15-2008 06:23 PM

Re: Help! 2005 Honda Civic EX- Blown head gasket (MazdaSpeedster)

its like 24 dollars or so for the gasket. it shouldnt take you all that long. i would start by draing your fluids, disconnect everything that is connected to the valve cover and head, then remove the valve cover, u will then see the head bolts all the way around the edges of the head, you remove those, and pull the head up. then if i were u i would take the head to napa and have them do a pressure test, and make sure your head did not get warped, thats like 35 to 45 dollars. but just like the other dude said, it would be wise to change the timing belt, actually you might as well change all your belts. timing belt is 25 dollars or so. your other two belts are like 10 bucks a piece. good luck..

Boilermaker1 10-16-2008 04:46 PM

blowing a headgasket and routine maintenance dont really tie together.
You can change your oil every 3K, flush the coolant every 36, etc... and still blow it.
The headgaskets honda used in these cars just flat out suck. It should last far longer than these gaskets do, bottom line. They shouldnt give you any maintenance issues on this. No routine maintenance honda specifies includes a compresson or leakdown test, which would pick a headgasket issue up before it happens.

Hybrid96EK 10-22-2008 07:00 PM

Re: Help! 2005 Honda Civic EX- Blown head gasket (rollinlowinthecivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rollinlowinthecivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its like 24 dollars or so for the gasket. it shouldnt take you all that long. i would start by draing your fluids, disconnect everything that is connected to the valve cover and head, then remove the valve cover, u will then see the head bolts all the way around the edges of the head, you remove those, and pull the head up. then if i were u i would take the head to napa and have them do a pressure test, and make sure your head did not get warped, thats like 35 to 45 dollars. but just like the other dude said, it would be wise to change the timing belt, actually you might as well change all your belts. timing belt is 25 dollars or so. your other two belts are like 10 bucks a piece. good luck..</TD></TR></TABLE>

You completely skipped removing the intake manifold, the injector block, the coolant block on the side of the head, the exhaust manifold, the timing belt, etc. Not to mention the routine for properly removing the timing belt. If you haven't done the job before then don't post here trying to "help" someone. Your post made the job seem like a 30 minute process that would run less then $100. This just simply isn't the case.