Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Timing belt keeps slipping WTF??? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/timing-belt-keeps-slipping-wtf-2371940/)

hondachris1994 08-22-2008 06:05 PM

Timing belt keeps slipping WTF???

I just put a new head on and im to the timing part. I line up the crank and then I line the cams up and then I put the belt on and for some reason it keeps slipping off the intake cam the belt is kept tight threw the whole process. ive done this before and never had this much trouble. any help is appreciated

Modified by hondachris1994 at 10:10 PM 8/22/2008

hondachris1994 08-22-2008 06:07 PM

btw it is a b16 with buddyclubcam gears and crower cams (402's)

Hanmin 08-22-2008 06:11 PM

put the belt a couple of teeths off. Iunno how many or which way, but you should get lucky at least once.

hondachris1994 08-22-2008 06:19 PM

Re: (Hanmin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hanmin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">put the belt a couple of teeths off. Iunno how many or which way, but you should get lucky at least once.</TD></TR></TABLE>u mean a cpl teethon the crank? I would have to put it off a cpl clockwise, cause the motor rotates counterclockwise... Anyone else? It kinda seems like the cams are are a lil harder to spin around but they go all the way around with no issues, I also have the valve adjusment scew and nut loose on all the valves

nub 08-22-2008 06:30 PM

Re: (hondachris1994)

If you have the adjustment screws loose and you put the belt on and it skips on the gear there's a problem. With the belt off and your adjusters loose you should be able to rotate the cam pretty easy. Sounds like you may have clearance issues at the cam caps. I'd remove the cam and inspect for scoring of the caps and cam.

gsrhatch2356 08-22-2008 06:57 PM

Re: Timing belt keeps slipping WTF??? (hondachris1994)

Let me ask, is the belt just getting out of time after spinning around a couple times or is it literly coming off the intake cam gear. if it is really coming off then you could be missing the little round disc that sits behind the crank pulley or better yet you do have your crank pulley on right? if not then it would slip off.

nub 08-22-2008 07:07 PM

Re: Timing belt keeps slipping WTF??? (gsrhatch2356)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrhatch2356 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me ask, is the belt just getting out of time after spinning around a couple times or is it literly coming off the intake cam gear. if it is really coming off then you could be missing the little round disc that sits behind the crank pulley or better yet you do have your crank pulley on right? if not then it would slip off. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Good point. Never done that myself but I would think it would slip off the water pump if the pullies weren't aligned. Worth checking.

hondachris1994 08-22-2008 07:32 PM

Re: Timing belt keeps slipping WTF??? (gsrhatch2356)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrhatch2356 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me ask, is the belt just getting out of time after spinning around a couple times or is it literly coming off the intake cam gear. if it is really coming off then you could be missing the little round disc that sits behind the crank pulley or better yet you do have your crank pulley on right? if not then it would slip off. </TD></TR></TABLE>its grabbing the exhaust cam and then its slipping off the exhaust cam. I have the crank pulley bolt on there until I get it timed, so the crank pulley isnt on there. I think I over toqued the cam cap bolts a lil to tight, ima pull the cam caps back off then retorque. I used a half inch drive torque wrench with a Xtension and I set it at 20 ft/lbs, but it seems to b over torqueing them and I dont have a 3/8 drive torque wrench. So ima trighten them with a 3/8 ratchet, i should get it close enough to where it needs 2 b

hondachris1994 08-22-2008 07:57 PM

well I took the cama back off and there is no scaring whatsoever. I reinstalled and it still seems like the cams are a lil difficult to turn without the belt off

hondachris1994 08-22-2008 10:11 PM

I alsooiled the cams and the cam holders before installing camc. Any other ideas?

hondachris1994 08-23-2008 07:21 AM

bump for some help

hondachris1994 08-23-2008 09:38 AM

even with dual valve springs it shouldnt b 2 much harder to spin the cams with the belt off correct??

nub 08-23-2008 12:17 PM

Re: (hondachris1994)

If you still have the lash adjusters loose it should spin fairly easy. A possibility is that once you have the belt on and rotate the engine your'e getting valve to piston contact. This would stop the cam in its tracks and you may be forcing the belt off the cam gear when your'e rotating the crank. Try describing your scenario a little better. Does it rotate free and the belt is simply walking off the gear or are you getting any resistance as you rotate? Elaborate.