Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   14mm AC Tensioner Pulley Bolt Stripped. Best Way To Get It Off? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/14mm-ac-tensioner-pulley-bolt-stripped-best-way-get-off-2357496/)

Panoply 08-02-2008 07:10 PM

14mm AC Tensioner Pulley Bolt Stripped. Best Way To Get It Off?

as the title says, trying to do a timing belt change on a 93 civic dx and the damn bolt is giving me hell. before the bolt was stripped i tried using a torch to heat the bolt up, but to no avail it stripped on me before i could get it off. at this point ive even tried vice grips/heat but not luck. can anyone suggest the best way to get this off? the worst part is the tight space to work in. so please keep suggestions with that in mind. thanks.

AtomicBlast 08-02-2008 07:28 PM

Re: 14mm AC Tensioner Pulley Bolt Stripped. Best Way To Get It Off? (Panoply)

take a smaller sized socket and bash it on there.

or

weld a socket to it and crank it off.

worst case scenario, you have to drill it and use an extractor.

yurevn 08-02-2008 07:40 PM

craftsman has a set of stripped bolt removers for like 15.00 i think thats what i paid for them. you can get them at sears. i had the same prob with my car. plus they come in handy.

Panoply 08-02-2008 10:12 PM

Re: 14mm AC Tensioner Pulley Bolt Stripped. Best Way To Get It Off? (AtomicBlast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AtomicBlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take a smaller sized socket and bash it on there.

or

weld a socket to it and crank it off.

worst case scenario, you have to drill it and use an extractor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if i got a socket on it, i wouldn't be able to get the rachet on it. the bolt is &lt;2in away from the side of the car

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yurevn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> craftsman has a set of stripped bolt removers for like 15.00 i think thats what i paid for them. you can get them at sears. i had the same prob with my car. plus they come in handy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

does it require that you use a rachet to turn the bit?

thanks for the help so far

AnotherSI 08-02-2008 10:18 PM

Re: 14mm AC Tensioner Pulley Bolt Stripped. Best Way To Get It Off? (Panoply)

did ya try supportin the engine with a jack and takin off the motor mount and letting the engine down or crankin it up alittle to get alittle more access?

Panoply 08-02-2008 10:20 PM

Re: 14mm AC Tensioner Pulley Bolt Stripped. Best Way To Get It Off? (AnotherSI)

yeah, didn't seem like i gained too much room. maybe if i disconnected the rear mount i could get a few more inches.

mistaashby12 08-03-2008 04:00 AM

strap a bomb to that b!tch. cause by this point I know you want to!
haha

ok seriously can u reach it with a deep well?

if not you can take 2 sockets, cut one in half weld back together to make a double length socket.

make sure u use a 12pt socket that is just a little bit to small.. and hammer or tac weld it on

Im not quite sure if I am imagining your cramped quaters your in, but if u have room this will work like a charm

ninja speed my friend

yurevn 08-03-2008 10:03 AM

Re: 14mm AC Tensioner Pulley Bolt Stripped. Best Way To Get It Off? (AnotherSI)

no you can use a wrench. thats what i did.

Panoply 08-03-2008 04:13 PM

Re: 14mm AC Tensioner Pulley Bolt Stripped. Best Way To Get It Off? (yurevn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yurevn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no you can use a wrench. thats what i did.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i went and picked a set up this morning and they worked fantastic. i liked how they were low profile so they were very easy to work with. thanks everyone for all the suggestions.