Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   timing belt adjustment (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/timing-belt-adjustment-2342104/)

danteisme 07-12-2008 12:54 PM

timing belt adjustment

so my timing belt is pretty loose after replacing it, the water pump, and tensioner. there is almost and inch and an eight of deflection on the exhaust side. obviously that side will have the most slack cuz its the longest part without being on another pulley or whatever. i was reading the manual on how to adjust it, i just wanna make sure im understanding what they're saying. heres what it says

obviously take the vc off

1. set no.1 to TDC
2. roate the crankshaft 5-6 revolutions to set belt
3. then set no. 1 to tdc again
4. loosen adjustment bolt(tensioner) 1/2 turn
5. this is whre im slightly confused..it says rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise 3 teeth on the camshaft pulley. so im assuming i just rotate the crank til i count 3 teeth go by on one of the cams?
6. tighten bolt and done

stumpyf4 07-13-2008 04:36 AM

Re: timing belt adjustment (danteisme)

You're correct, as you turn the crank slightly the cams add tension to the belt since they're trying to pushing open some valves.

Since your belt has been running for a while I would just do steps 3-6. It's pretty obvious if you do it right, belt will be nice and tight.

Suggestion, don't drive the car until you retension the belt.

ACTION JACTION 07-13-2008 06:34 AM

Sometimes this method doesnt work as it didnt work for me so I had to do the coat hanger technique.

Take a metal coat hanger and make one end into a fish hook. Loosen the tensioner and then hook it with the coat hanger and pull up on it till you get enough tension, then tighten it.

letsdrive 07-13-2008 07:34 AM

youre supposed to leave the tensioner bolt loose when you do the 5-6 rotations . Bring it back to tdc then tighten it then rotate it three teeth ccw, then you loosen it and youll see the slack tighten from the tensioner. then you tighten the tensioner bolt to 45 ft/lbs.

stumpyf4 07-13-2008 04:08 PM

Re: (letsdrive)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by letsdrive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">youre supposed to leave the tensioner bolt loose when you do the 5-6 rotations . Bring it back to tdc then tighten it then rotate it three teeth ccw, then you loosen it and youll see the slack tighten from the tensioner. then you tighten the tensioner bolt to 45 ft/lbs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Negative. Re-read your manual. Try rotating the crank with the tensioner bolt loose, guaranteed to skip a tooth or more.

Quote from the manual for tensioning the belt (1998 Integra page 6-9)
1) Remove the cylinder head cover.
2) Set the No. 1 piston at TDC
3) Rotate the crankshaft five to six revolutions to set the belt.
4) Set the No. 1 piston at TDC
5) Loosen the adjusting bolt 1/2 turn (180deg) only.
6) Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise 3-teeth on the camshaft pulley.
7) Tighten the adjusting bolt to the specified torque.
8) After adjusting, retorque the crankshaft pulley bolt to 177Nm.

danteisme 07-13-2008 05:35 PM

Re: (stumpyf4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stumpyf4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Negative. Re-read your manual. Try rotating the crank with the tensioner bolt loose, guaranteed to skip a tooth or more.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah thats what i was thinking, i figured i'd wait to see what other people said first

letsdrive 07-14-2008 04:45 PM

i meant have it tight. hands didnt write what brain meant.

enriquediaz 07-02-2009 04:43 PM

Re: timing belt adjustment

what way am i supposed to rotate the tensioner bolt to loosen it up? ive been trying for a long time to loosen up the belt to get in back onto the pulleys... but the more i do it the more the bolt gets rounded.

hmoobhero 07-03-2009 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by enriquediaz (Post 39116457)
what way am i supposed to rotate the tensioner bolt to loosen it up? ive been trying for a long time to loosen up the belt to get in back onto the pulleys... but the more i do it the more the bolt gets rounded.

common rule. "lefty loosely" "righty tighty".

skhell 07-17-2009 02:41 AM

Hi!

When we turn the crank pulley 3 teeth on the cam pulley, the belt gets more tensioned or less tensioned?

To understand better my question, imagine we would only loosen the adjuster bolt, and tightened it, the belt would be with more or with less tension that when rotating the cam 3 teeth?

RicardoPTmax 08-25-2009 02:56 PM

Hi...
I have found the timming belt a quite loose.

retightening as adivised in workshop manual created a grind sound in some of the pulleys... or water pump
then i did the same rotating only one teeth and the wierd sound decreased to bare nothing.

i mean... Retightening a belt that has 50k (km) on it... didnt work as expected
so i had to draw back and now even though the belt when cold vibrated a little it works straight when normal temperature...
i supose that this is water pump bearings going away... 160 k needing a new one
can you give any advise about this?

Thanks

PS: boas skhell tudo bem? lol tuga do catano. :)

RicardoPTmax 08-25-2009 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by skhell (Post 39279311)
Hi!

When we turn the crank pulley 3 teeth on the cam pulley, the belt gets more tensioned or less tensioned?

To understand better my question, imagine we would only loosen the adjuster bolt, and tightened it, the belt would be with more or with less tension that when rotating the cam 3 teeth?

olá
quando rodas a cambota... a correia estica de um lado.. e do outro o tensor acança para a posição normal e é fixo ai ao aparafusar a porca.
mas isso é valido para correias novas apenas... n podes fazer os 3 dentes com uma correia usada. suponho.. pelo menos foi o que fiz
é normal que haja algum barulho durante primeira semana. ate que ela estique um pouco para o tamanho e tensao normal.

(english)

hi... when you turn the crankshaft the belt stretches in one side while in the other the tensioner pulley advances reduces it slack and when you tighten the bolt, it stays in the proper position.

thing is ------- that it is valid to new belts only.. old betls... cant do the 3 teeth must be less i guess... that what i did.
it is natural that some noise pulley might be heardable in the first week or so a until it streaches a bit to normal state.

skhell 08-31-2009 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by RicardoPTmax (Post 39748406)
Hi...
I have found the timming belt a quite loose.

retightening as adivised in workshop manual created a grind sound in some of the pulleys... or water pump
then i did the same rotating only one teeth and the wierd sound decreased to bare nothing.

i mean... Retightening a belt that has 50k (km) on it... didnt work as expected
so i had to draw back and now even though the belt when cold vibrated a little it works straight when normal temperature...
i supose that this is water pump bearings going away... 160 k needing a new one
can you give any advise about this?

Thanks

PS: boas skhell tudo bem? lol tuga do catano. :)

Maravilha, não sou o unico tuga por aqui :) eheheh

Well, I always thought that the procedure of setting the right amount of tension would apply to a old belt, after all, timing belts are not supposed to stretch over the time... Any way, your experience with this is very helpfull, thank you so much, that thing of rotating it only one tooth is a good idea, the problem is if it got with less tension than it should...

8OOSTED 09-21-2009 12:10 AM

How do I get to the tensioner bolt? Do I have to remove the entire timing belt cover? My friends told me I could do it without removing all that but I can't figure out how.

PS: I have a 94' LS

danteisme 09-21-2009 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by 8OOSTED (Post 40029533)
How do I get to the tensioner bolt? Do I have to remove the entire timing belt cover? My friends told me I could do it without removing all that but I can't figure out how.

PS: I have a 94' LS

its been a while since i did this, but i believe there is a plug in the timing cover you can pop out and gain access to the bolt. just dont over loosen it or you might be screwed.