Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   ball bearing turbo vs journal bearing (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/ball-bearing-turbo-vs-journal-bearing-2297802/)

love4dirt 05-12-2008 09:42 AM

ball bearing turbo vs journal bearing

i am consiering getting a b.b. turbonetics t3 t4 to replace my no name journal bearing t3 t4 i was just looking for some feed back from people that have done this switch.

platinum00 05-12-2008 09:54 AM

Re: ball bearing turbo vs journal bearing (love4dirt)

If size and trim level are the same you will notice a decent decrease in spool time.

-platinum

TheShodan 05-12-2008 09:56 AM

Re: ball bearing turbo vs journal bearing (platinum00)

Possibly, but only with a CHANGE in wheel design to work with the cartridge. But find out what "ball-bearings" turbonetics is using. For years, they've used ceramic bearings as their "ball-bearing" systems, only to have them disinitgrate over time. Look to your needs first, not just looking at a "ball-bearing" cartridge as an upgrade, like a t.v. It may not be necessary.

love4dirt 05-12-2008 10:16 AM

Re: ball bearing turbo vs journal bearing (TheShodan)

yeah the turbonettics one i was looking at had the ceramic bearings, any other companies you know of that make a reliable one that i would have to pawn a kidney to get the dough for?

TheShodan 05-12-2008 10:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by love4dirt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah the turbonettics one i was looking at had the ceramic bearings, any other companies you know of that make a reliable one that i would have to pawn a kidney to get the dough for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

First, you need to let us know your power needs, the application, the purpose of the car, if you want 4 bolt or 5 bolt (ford style) exhaust flange, your budget, etc. The more information you tell us, the more we can help. Please be as specific as possible.

love4dirt 05-12-2008 10:51 AM

okay well its a b16a1 in a 94 coupe. cracked 2 stock pistons so i pulled it and rebuilt it with 9.6 to 1 je pistons, eagle rods, did the whole bottom right bored out to 81.5 and what not, im putting crower turbo 2 cams in it and crower springs, i have a turbonetics piping kit with a off brand turbo. 5 bolt down pipe flange externally waisted. hondata s 300. its going to be a d.d. but i have 11 more months with no lisence so i have plenty of time on my hands. im looking for about 325 to 400 hp and im willing to spend upward of a grand on a turbo that i will be very happy with its results.

quicksilver1689 05-12-2008 12:08 PM

if your just looking to stay in the 325-400whp range you have alot of options, ever think about a gt2871r with a .83 housing, good spool, will carry up top, prolly good for 350-380whp range.

quicksilver1689 05-12-2008 12:11 PM

eh after looking at compressor maps for that turbo looks like after 350whp your getting out of the sweet efficient spot, a ball bearing 50 trim t3/t4 .63 a/r exhaust woul do you just fine aswell.