Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   how do i know i need a new clutch?? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/how-do-i-know-i-need-new-clutch-2296275/)

hassan21 05-09-2008 04:12 PM

how do i know i need a new clutch??

is there any signs i should be looking for or anything?

im not sure about these kind of things
https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emhammer.gif

B18c1vicrx 05-09-2008 05:31 PM

Re: how do i know i need a new clutch?? (hassan21)

clutch slipping, buttery feeling clutch pedal, wont go in gear

hassan21 05-15-2008 10:33 AM

yeah sometimes its hard to get into certain gears....sometimes itll go in like its nothing...

th3pwn3r 05-15-2008 11:34 AM

Re: (hassan21)

It's quite possible your synchros are a bit messed up as well and that could be a reason for your gear issue. I need synchros myself but I'm getting either my trans completely rebuilt or a whole new tranny when I go turbo'ed next month https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

jakscivic 05-15-2008 11:40 AM

Lol, we went from him wanting to know how to know his clutch its messed up to him needing new synchros.

Mostly your clutch will slip. That means when you put it into gear and let go of the clutch the RPMs dont drop right away, instead they either stay steady or rise, then drop.

What you could do it go about 5-10 mph, put your clutch in 5th gear, rev your motor to about 4 grand and dump the clutch. What this will prove is if you need a new clutch or not. If the rpms dont drop as soon as you let the clutch go then your clutch is slipping. Say for instance the rpms stay at 4k and slowly drop off (wind down) you clutch is slipping. But if your cars rpms drop and your car dies, or tries to die then your clutch will be ok. Note: only do this test once, MAYBE twice. It is stressful on your clutch, but it is a sure way to tell if your clutch is slipping.

th3pwn3r 05-15-2008 11:43 AM

Re: (jakscivic)

You can usually hear when a clutch is slipping as well. They usually make a squealing sound. If that doesn't tell you the movement of your car versus the RPM of the engine should give you an idea of whether or not you're slipping. I only mentioned synchros being an issue because it was mentioned that his gears wouldn't go in too well and bad synchros is a reason why that could be. I was only trying to help.

jakscivic 05-15-2008 11:46 AM

Another few things to check, or possibilities for you not being able to get into gear.

Yes synchros might be the cause. But first I would need to know more info about your problem. Such as, is it always hard to get in one certain gear? Or are their two gears that are hard to get into?

Another reason could be your clutch cable could be binding. This is a common thing to happen with cable clutches. They start to bind up and stretch so you can disengage the clutch very well.

Another thing is your clutch cable setting. It may feel normal to you, but your clutch cable might be set too loose. How far down do you need to push your clutch before it disengages? If you need to go all the way to the floor before it releases the clutch and for you to be able to shift then its set too loose.

th3pwn3r 05-15-2008 11:48 AM

Re: (jakscivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jakscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another few things to check, or possibilities for you not being able to get into gear.

Yes synchros might be the cause. But first I would need to know more info about your problem. Such as, is it always hard to get in one certain gear? Or are their two gears that are hard to get into?

Another reason could be your clutch cable could be binding. This is a common thing to happen with cable clutches. They start to bind up and stretch so you can disengage the clutch very well.

Another thing is your clutch cable setting. It may feel normal to you, but your clutch cable might be set too loose. How far down do you need to push your clutch before it disengages? If you need to go all the way to the floor before it releases the clutch and for you to be able to shift then its set too loose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I really need to adjust my cable now that you mention it. I'll try to get that done today. Thanks for the reminder lol. I've been meaning to do it.

jakscivic 05-15-2008 07:35 PM

hah, no prob. I hope this helps the OP a bit.

hassan21 05-17-2008 06:35 PM

its like when i slow down and downshift its hard to go from 5th all the way down...

also i need to push my peddle all the way down to the floor till the clutch is out

jakscivic 05-17-2008 11:43 PM

well that means that its way too loose. When you push the clutch down its not fully disengaging the clutch. That is probably why its so hard to get into gear. So try and tighten the cluch cable up a bit at the front right of your engine bay.