Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Clicking on the main relay (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/clicking-main-relay-2261417/)

Quad-Damage 03-27-2008 12:29 PM

Clicking on the main relay

My sister has a stock 1996 honda civic ex

NEW BATTERY (Fully charged) I even tested my battery from my working car
New starter.

Car turns on, Headlights work strong, inside ligting. When you hit the key it click on the main relay. and goes dead right away, like there is no battery. I replaced the main relay with a new one, same thing. I put the main relay from my 2000 and it didn't work but it worked for my car. Whats the deal?

The second you turn the car it clicks like crazy, kinda of like the out of battery click but it's coming from the main relay and it won't even turn over.

Former User 03-27-2008 01:21 PM

Re: Clicking on the main relay (Quad-Damage)

2 Attachment(s)
Is the clicking noise possibly coming from the starter cut relay rather than the main relay?

Attachment 483711

Attachment 483712

Modified by RonJ@HT at 6:53 PM 3/27/2008

Quad-Damage 03-27-2008 01:31 PM

Re: Clicking on the main relay (RonJ@HT)

%100 sure it's coming from the main relay

Former User 03-27-2008 01:40 PM

Despite the main relay clicking, you should first focus on the failure of the engine to crank. Specifically, troubleshoot the starter circuit and possibly the ignition switch. Is fuse 41 or 42 blown? Were the starter wires connected properly? Is the battery ground wire loose or corroded? Is the clutch switch bad?

Quad-Damage 03-27-2008 01:53 PM

The battery was badly corroded but i cleaned it and she bought a new battery i need to check fuses 41 and 42? they might be blown no idea i'm at work.

http://spoon.org/civic/pics/Interior-Fuse-Panel.jpg
she lost her guide of whats what.

I need to check her fuses

Quad-Damage 03-27-2008 01:57 PM

http://members.cox.net/shaundrake/al...ockDiagram.gif

1996 honda civic fuse box? any one have a better pic with what is what?

Former User 03-27-2008 02:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 483709

Attachment 483710

philosofy1 03-27-2008 02:11 PM

maybe a short somewhere? this is what i'm thinking.

hey RonJ@HT, i saw the picks of where the relays are that you posted. do you have any for 92-95 civics? reason i ask is i saw on one of the diagrams it shows a starter cut relay and was wondering if my 93 civic has one. i too have starting problems once in awhile.

sorry to bogart the thread by the way. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif

Former User 03-27-2008 02:19 PM

Re: Clicking on the main relay (philosofy1)

1 Attachment(s)
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe a short somewhere? this is what i'm thinking.

hey RonJ@HT, i saw the picks of where the relays are that you posted. do you have any for 92-95 civics? reason i ask is i saw on one of the diagrams it shows a starter cut relay and was wondering if my 93 civic has one. i too have starting problems once in awhile.( </TD></TR></TABLE>

Here you go:

Attachment 483708

philosofy1 03-27-2008 02:22 PM

sweet, thanks man! mine 93 civic starts fine, but sometimes if i turn it on/off alot it won't start. i have to push start it and then it'll be good for awhile. i have a new battery, alternator, starter, and ground wires. the starter cut relay isn't for a oem alarm is it?

Former User 03-27-2008 02:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sweet, thanks man! mine 93 civic starts fine, but sometimes if i turn it on/off alot it won't start. i have to push start it and then it'll be good for awhile. i have a new battery, alternator, starter, and ground wires. the starter cut relay isn't for a oem alarm is it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it works in conjunction with the clutch interlock switch.

By the way, it's possible that your starter is on the way out. Next time the starter won't crank, try tapping on the starter solenoid with the back end of a large screwdriver or a rubber mallet. If it then starts, then you should probably replace the starter.

Modified by RonJ@HT at 5:34 PM 3/27/2008

Modified by RonJ@HT at 8:26 PM 3/27/2008

philosofy1 03-27-2008 02:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RonJ@HT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, it works in conjunction with the clutch interlock switch.

By the way, it's possible that your starter is on the way out. Next time the starter won't crank, try tapping it with the back end of a large screwdriver or small hammer. If it then starts, then you should probably replace the starter.

Modified by RonJ@HT at 5:34 PM 3/27/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

what sucks is, it's the 4th starter, but the same problem. i'm thinking it's something else or it's just autozone starters. i can read the 12v from the starter all the way to the ignition switch. no signs of shorts or broken wires.

1992Si 03-27-2008 03:05 PM

Quad, long time...

try this. http://www.hondahookup.com/man...c.zip

Quad check out rota's thread in the drag racing forum. The yellow cars come a long way, where have you been ?

Quad-Damage 03-27-2008 03:12 PM

Re: (1992Si)

i don't post on hondahookup anymore, the site has really gone downhill

hit me up here or on d16

1992Si 03-27-2008 03:16 PM

Re: (Quad-Damage)

That HHU link has a bunch of service manuals on it.

rota's drag racing thread is on here.

I haven't been on HHU in a long time.

Former User 03-27-2008 03:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what sucks is, it's the 4th starter, but the same problem. i'm thinking it's something else or it's just autozone starters. i can read the 12v from the starter all the way to the ignition switch. no signs of shorts or broken wires.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe it also would be worth having a look at the clutch interlock switch at clutch pedal.

Quad-Damage 03-27-2008 04:50 PM

I checked them, they are both fine, i even changed them out. Same thing. I checked the starter it's good. It has 14.6 volts in the battery. I checked under the dash the 7.5 fuse's and the starter was not broken, i checked each one and they were fine? Any ideas? It won't even turn over. You put it to on and it goes CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK coming from the main relay, does even try to turn over, then after about 5 to 10 second the car goes dead like the battery is dead giving off no power. I checked the battery and lines for a short with the grounds and i saw nothing.

Former User 03-27-2008 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you saying that when you supply battery power directly to the starter, the starter then cranks?

Take a look at the starter circuit (picture). If the starter won't crank the engine, then the possibilities are problems with the (1) battery, (2) starter, (3) cut relay (MT), (3) gear position switch (AT), (4) wiring, (5) grounds, (6) ignition switch, or (7) a locked up engine.

Attachment 483697

Modified by RonJ@HT at 8:35 PM 3/27/2008

Quad-Damage 03-27-2008 11:17 PM

^^ I have to check, the starter is NEW OEM Honda and i know it's installed correctly

SirRevvs 03-27-2008 11:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Car turns on, Headlights work strong, inside ligting. When you hit the key it click on the main relay. and goes dead right away, like there is no battery. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like your battery terminals if the power completely dies out. Check that the ground is connectedto the trans too. Try making a ground that connects directly to the upper starter bolt and run it directly to the battery ground terminal. It def. sounds like you have a short at the battery. Can you take a 17 mm socket and manually turn the crank counter clockwise at the crank pulley?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The second you turn the car it clicks like crazy, kinda of like the out of battery click but it's coming from the main relay and it won't even turn over.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which one is it you describe two completely different scenarios? You say in the beggining of your paragraph that all the power shuts off, then you say the relay just clicks.

Quad-Damage 03-28-2008 08:29 AM

Re: Clicking on the main relay (SirRevvs)

It does, the main relay just clicks for like 10 to 15 seconds and then the car just shuts off.

suburbanite 09-09-2011 01:26 PM

Re: Clicking on the main relay

So what happened in the end here? I'm having the same symptoms with my '98 Civic.

Leinadoayama 01-19-2017 06:08 AM

Re: Clicking on the main relay

Originally Posted by Quad-Damage (Post 33151813)
My sister has a stock 1996 honda civic ex

NEW BATTERY (Fully charged) I even tested my battery from my working car
New starter.

Car turns on, Headlights work strong, inside ligting. When you hit the key it click on the main relay. and goes dead right away, like there is no battery. I replaced the main relay with a new one, same thing. I put the main relay from my 2000 and it didn't work but it worked for my car. Whats the deal?

The second you turn the car it clicks like crazy, kinda of like the out of battery click but it's coming from the main relay and it won't even turn over.

it only means your relay is working, check if you have power to the starter solenoid when you turn the the ignition to start. It's a one wire coming from the ignition through the neutral safety switch to your starter solenoid. I suspect it's a starter problem