Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/)
-   -   Clanking noise in second gear on acceleration? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2006-2015-79/clanking-noise-second-gear-acceleration-2207244/)

h0ndaSi 01-24-2008 04:58 AM

Clanking noise in second gear on acceleration?

Has anyone heard a clanking noise coming from under the hood when accelerating in second gear?

After engaging in second for the first time during any single drive, I hear a noise that can easily be described as the noise heard when changing gears on a bicycle. It only happens the first time I am in second (while accelerating). After that first time, I never hear it again until the next time the car is turned off and then driven again.

I have already brought the car into the dealership and I have to bring it back in because it is not gone. It sounds like it is definitely coming from the the front-center of the car near (or in for that matter) the engine.

hondamanforlife 01-24-2008 05:11 AM

Re: Clanking noise in second gear on acceleration? (h0ndaSi)

I have a pulley that is making alot of noise! honda needs to replace but they had to order the parts.

h0ndaSi 01-24-2008 05:22 AM

Re: Clanking noise in second gear on acceleration? (hondamanforlife)

Did this noise occur in the same scenario as mine?

siboii08 01-24-2008 05:26 AM

i am have the same problem going twenty miles an hour on second gear as i acceletate the faster the sound goes but doesnt get to loud i dont get it i checked the engine its intacked but when i rev in nuetral does not make the sound... even if im moving and drop it in doesnt make it... and yes it sounds like its coming from the hood.. maybe tires?

hondamanforlife 01-24-2008 05:32 AM

no its constint

h0ndaSi 01-24-2008 05:44 AM

Re: Clanking noise in second gear on acceleration? (hondamanforlife)

Mine only makes the sound for like one second when I am in second gear that first time and accelerating. It is not loud to the point where I would hear it over a loud radio, but it is clearly noticeable and definitely an indication that there is something wrong. But, the dealership can't seem to pin-point it.

siboii08 01-24-2008 05:53 AM

yeah mine is constant to not and yes not to much of a riculous noise... but it still bothers me its a brand new car with 900 miles on it

h0ndaSi 01-24-2008 05:56 AM

Re: Clanking noise in second gear on acceleration? (siboii08)

Bring it into the dealership. If can be demonstrated, which I gather yours can since it is contant, they will 100% take it in to be worked on.

siboii08 01-24-2008 06:15 AM

i guess i will ehh, thanks anyways

8YourV8 01-24-2008 06:37 AM

My '08 Si does the EXACT same thing you described, to a Tee. Sounds almost like a click-esque noise like you said, a bicycle shifting gears? Yeah... same here. Only happens once, the first time i shift to second on any given drive sequence. Could just be a fluke, it might be the way they designed the shift linkage or something.

CrankDatVtec 01-24-2008 07:48 AM

Re: Clanking noise in second gear on acceleration? (siboii08)

I drove siboii08's car, its not really a clicking sound more like a whinding sound (I can best describe it as when you use your eraser on a school desk, like a woo woo woo sound..lol) It happens at low rpm's expecially on 3rd gear about 15-25mph. but only if you keep the gas lightly pressed. If you release the clutch it stops && when engaged continues. The sounds disapates as you reach higher revolutions.

8YourV8 01-24-2008 11:07 AM

Re: Clanking noise in second gear on acceleration? (CrankDatVtec)

Nevermind. My noise is completely different, just an abnormally louder clicking noise when i shift into 2nd and hit the gas (as opposed to all my other gears).

That sucks though, I wish you the best of luck with it. Hopefully Honda will take care of ya https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

CrankDatVtec 01-24-2008 12:57 PM

Re: Clanking noise in second gear on acceleration? (8YourV8)

Personally I jus think its too high of a gear for those speeds, but I told him (SiBoii08, he's my neighbor BTW) to take it to Honda anyways.

yamahead 10-30-2012 04:56 PM

Re: Clanking noise in second gear on acceleration?

Hi! It's been almost 5 years. Has this issue been resolved? Having the exact problem myself (when i let the car sit for just a few mins with the engine off... like stopping for gas or an ATM). It ALSO happens though after engaging in reverse. Then i go to 1st gear then upon shifting into 2nd, there's that clanking noise (also sounds like the clanking noise when engaging in reverse). Of course out of fear i shift to 3rd to make the noise go away. Then i try 2ng gear again the. All seems normal. What could this be? Thanks!