Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Paint and Body (https://honda-tech.com/forums/paint-body-84/)
-   -   brand name 'bondo' filler vs other plastic fillers (https://honda-tech.com/forums/paint-body-84/brand-name-bondo-filler-vs-other-plastic-fillers-2162547/)

dem0nk1d 11-28-2007 09:25 AM

brand name 'bondo' filler vs other plastic fillers

Have a few question if one to use the name brand ‘Bondo’ being (Bondo body filler) VS something like Rage body filler what’s the difference? Also what would cause bondo to bubble up after a automobile has been painted?

The reasons for the questions, is I'm doing all the body work on my car. I happen to use a fiberglass filler for some dents and dings. I'm trying to level out my roof with ‘bondo’ and the fiberglass filler. Someone said that ‘bondo’ tends to bubble up after awhile, and I should switch over to something like RAGE filler.…

swappedcx 11-28-2007 02:20 PM

Re: brand name 'bondo' filler vs other plastic fillers (dem0nk1d)

"bondo" is the cheapest crap (literally) you can get. I used it one time in a crutch on a sunday when I ran out of Rage gold and all I could get was "bondo" and the car had to go out. The "bondo" brand is harder to sand, i would always get more pin holes in it. I just didn't like it in general. At my work we stick with Rage gold and evercoat metal glaze.

No body filler should ever "bubble". Once its cured its plastic like. It can lift, but that can be cause from alot of things. Anything from leaving the lid off the can, improper sealing of the can, too much hardner, drying the filler under a heat lamp, improper surface preparation...etc etc

iam7head 11-28-2007 03:40 PM

Re: brand name 'bondo' filler vs other plastic fillers (swappedcx)

the bondo brand stuff is very cheap, and the quality reflects that.

i never use any of the bondo brand stuff anymore after i use evercoat's polyurethane filler/glaze/spot repair

the better stuff is ten time easier to sand, much smoother surface, and just as strong.

just the time of sanding alone will out worth the price of the cheap stuff, seriously even if the better stuff cost 3 times as much, use it

just make sure you are getting the right stuff for your job, there's abunch of people dont really read the label before use, try spot puddy on bare surface or body filler on unsanded clear coat https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emdgust.gif

blue2000em1 11-28-2007 03:56 PM

Re: brand name 'bondo' filler vs other plastic fillers (iam7head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iam7head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the bondo brand stuff is very cheap, and the quality reflects that.

i never use any of the bondo brand stuff anymore after i use evercoat's polyurethane filler/glaze/spot repair

the better stuff is ten time easier to sand, much smoother surface, and just as strong.

just the time of sanding alone will out worth the price of the cheap stuff, seriously even if the better stuff cost 3 times as much, use it

just make sure you are getting the right stuff for your job, there's abunch of people dont really read the label before use, try spot puddy on bare surface or body filler on unsanded clear coat https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emdgust.gif </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes very true also the evercoat rage prevents pinholes when doing your bodywork unlike cheaper bondos you would use polyester on top of your pinholes to cover your bodywork.

1988_96hb 11-29-2007 11:39 AM

swappedcx said "The "bondo" brand is harder to sand, i would always get more pin holes in it."

pin holes happen when the bodyfiller is starting to set up while your still spreading it.
ive been using bondo brand body filler for about 4 years and i never have problems with it. occasionally i get pin holes but thats when i add to much hardener and it starts setting up on me.

juscallmetoad 11-29-2007 11:19 PM

Re: (1988_96hb)

tip: just try to eliminate as much body filler use as possible. use a stud gun or old school hammer and dolly. body fillers usually flakes off cause of poor adhesion due to surfaces which weren't sanded down or cleaned properly.

Team Rukus 11-30-2007 06:25 PM

Re: brand name 'bondo' filler vs other plastic fillers (dem0nk1d)

bondo is a company that makes autobody filler just like evercoat and usc etc....

bondo has their higher end filler just like all other companys'.

depending on which one you use you will get different results.

i use rage gold but there is a better one then that called rage xtreme made by evercoat and yes its better then the gold but the price difference is alot too from a cost point of view its not worth the extra money to go xtreme from the gold but at the shop i own we use products that the customer prefers or wants us to use (cost pending)

i have also use evercoats cheaper like ie ultra1 etc and those are horrible imo.

bondo now makes a new filler called dynatron x-grip and believe me the thing costs 1/4 of what rage xtreme and gold cost but works just as good. same sanding time, no pinholes, self levelling, etc.....

all depends on your prefrance really.

filler doesnt bubble its the crap under it or over it that does.