Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Possible symptoms of bad cam timing...? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/possible-symptoms-bad-cam-timing-2026007/)

shit 06-26-2007 07:29 PM

Possible symptoms of bad cam timing...?

So I just got my engine swap completed, and theres a problem that I think may be the result of incorrect timing... Okay, for example, I'm driving at 40 mph in 5th gear and the car starts jerking back and forth, sort of like it's hesitating... It's really pissing me off so can someone please tell me if this is because of bad timing? Thanks in advance :]

laocivic 06-26-2007 08:28 PM

Re: Possible symptoms of bad cam timing...? (SleeeeepyDX)

well just see if the cam gears r lined up together. the up arrows should b in the saem direction...if that's not it check your IACV. mine jerked but i cleaned it n it stopped. also make sure you plugged the right plug in IAT. the IAT n knock sensore (if you have one) have the same plug.

jkdk88 06-17-2011 09:05 PM

Re: Possible symptoms of bad cam timing...?

my 93 Honda civic does almost the same thing,It would idle from 1500 to 2000 RPM after warming up it would drop 500 RPM almost stalling but never shuts off,when I push on the gas it seems to not have power as I start to go it picks up speed but I notice that it makes,a humming sound and Rpm jerks up and down slightly,increases speed and decreases as RPM goes up and down I replace spark plugs.spark plug wires heavy duty ones 10 mm size I changed TPS sensor,I took out and cleaned IAV changed distributor cap and rotor I am all out of ideas could it be that the timing is off are something. can someone please help me thanks

hyperblu 06-17-2011 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by jkdk88 (Post 45483915)
my 93 Honda civic does almost the same thing,It would idle from 1500 to 2000 RPM after warming up it would drop 500 RPM almost stalling but never shuts off,when I push on the gas it seems to not have power as I start to go it picks up speed but I notice that it makes,a humming sound and Rpm jerks up and down slightly,increases speed and decreases as RPM goes up and down I replace spark plugs.spark plug wires heavy duty ones 10 mm size I changed TPS sensor,I took out and cleaned IAV changed distributor cap and rotor I am all out of ideas could it be that the timing is off are something. can someone please help me thanks

what motor?

jkdk88 06-18-2011 07:59 AM

my 93 Honda has a 94 motor 1.6 non V-Tec engine the person before me change it I don't know if timing is off or the computer needs to be calibrated or so

grumblemarc 06-18-2011 08:17 AM

ECU calibrated?
Are you getting any CELs?
Have you checked the timing, both ignition and mechanical? Stop wondering if it is and check it. There are links in the FAQ if you don't know how to do it.
BTW this was an old thread that you brought back from the dead.

jkdk88 06-18-2011 04:09 PM

THANKS-I will try that.I just figure it would be timing or ignition.It does have cels but its week. I have clear distributor cap so I can see sparks.I have to check further and stop being lazy lo--l once again thanks

jrock1234 06-21-2011 04:15 AM

I'm jus couriusto know if you found anything out?