Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid / Engine Swaps (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/)
-   -   B16A ECU/Wiring issues (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/b16a-ecu-wiring-issues-1896836/)

JKov240 02-16-2007 01:14 PM

B16A ECU/Wiring issues

The question is...

Are the ECU pinouts (specifically VTEC/spool/oil switch) the same for a USDM and JDM B16?

The ECU that we have is for a '95 B16 SiR-II (P30-J00) and it's going in a USDM Civic.

We plugged the ECU into my GS-R Civic and it threw a Check Engine Light for a "VTEC solenoid-Electrical (code 21 I do believe)" and VTEC wouldn't engage.

JKov240 02-17-2007 06:27 AM

Re: B16A ECU/Wiring issues (JKov240)

We're beginning to think that the ECU isn't worth piss because a GS-R and B16 are wired the same (unless there's a difference in JDM and USDM)...anybody have any input?

Super Chicken 02-18-2007 06:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKov240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The question is...

Are the ECU pinouts (specifically VTEC/spool/oil switch) the same for a USDM and JDM B16?

The ECU that we have is for a '95 B16 SiR-II (P30-J00) and it's going in a USDM Civic.

We plugged the ECU into my GS-R Civic and it threw a Check Engine Light for a "VTEC solenoid-Electrical (code 21 I do believe)" and VTEC wouldn't engage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The biggest difference is that the JDM versions usually don't have the Vtec oil switch.

trace the wire from the ECU v-tec pin out all the way to the vtec solenoid and make sure that the wire is not connected to the oil switch ( I'm assuming that you have a USDM engine?)

Vtec pin out on the OBD-2 P73 and 72 is A8 whereas the OBD1 P61 and 72 is A4
so if your mixing OBD's or just JDM/USDM you need to be sure which wires go where.

JKov240 02-18-2007 07:17 AM

Re: B16A ECU/Wiring issues (Super Chicken)

It's a JDM B16A.

It's a Frankenstein...that's for damn sure.

It's an EF hatchback, and we got the new ECU and an EG wiring harness. So we pulled the EF engine harness but left the accessories harness (headlights, etc.) and we're just going to have 2 separate harnesses...one for the ECU, the other for everything else. Does that make sense?

Super Chicken 02-18-2007 07:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKov240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's a JDM B16A.

It's a Frankenstein...that's for damn sure.

It's an EF hatchback, and we got the new ECU and an EG wiring harness. So we pulled the EF engine harness but left the accessories harness (headlights, etc.) and we're just going to have 2 separate harnesses...one for the ECU, the other for everything else. Does that make sense?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it does. I did this to my EF as well, but I had similar issues with the vtec codes. when I was running my P28 ecu I would get a vtec oil pressure sending unit code every time when starting. the P28 looks for the oil pressure switch to be "closed/grounded" on startup. I have since rewired my car to use the P73 ecu (JDM OBD2a) and now it starts with no codes, but I have had to splice and dice the harness to make sure each wire goes where its supposed to. Alot of the wiring tips listed out there have conflicting information and switching between generations (in my case 3) made the wiring more difficult than it should be.

That EG harness is going to have a blue wire that goes from the ECU (should be D6) to the vtec oil pressure sending unit, if its in the wrong place then that could be your problem.

Check your interface between the ECU and the engine harness. I don't know how you did yours, but I just used a 94 Integra main harness and the harness that came with my engine (JDM B18C OBD2a) a few of the wires changed from the harness to the engine, but those were traced down and fixed fairly easily.

JKov240 02-18-2007 12:24 PM

Re: B16A ECU/Wiring issues (Super Chicken)

On a P30, are the VTEC solenoid and oil pressure switch (pinouts) the same as all of the other VTEC engines/ecus?

Super Chicken 02-18-2007 04:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKov240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On a P30, are the VTEC solenoid and oil pressure switch (pinouts) the same as all of the other VTEC engines/ecus?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who knows? They are different from OBD to OBD What Gen is the engine and what Gen is the ECU?

If its a JDM ECU as said then it should not have a vtec oil pressure pin......maybe?

You could always switch the vtec pin between A4 and A8 depending on where it is now