Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Acura Integra (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/)
-   -   *WRITEUP* 90-93 Integra cruise control fix (https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/%2Awriteup%2A-90-93-integra-cruise-control-fix-1868099/)

t . b o z 01-18-2007 01:58 PM

*WRITEUP* 90-93 Integra cruise control fix

For those who have cruise on their 90-93 integras, Ive figured out a way to remedy a very common problem.

Since I bought my car, my cruise hasn't worked. It worked for the previous owner, but when I got it, it didnt.

The cruise button light came on, however the light on the cluster never appeared, nor did any of the steering wheel buttons work.

My horn button, and my brake lights worked when I hit the brake, so it wasn't a fuse problem. (they are all on the same fuse).

So I narrowed it down to a clutch switch problem. DOH! I should've known that these cars have a problem with that. There is a rubber insert that goes on the clutch pedal assembly that strikes the switch. Over time, it dries up, and it eventually just brakes off. Very typical of a 16 year old car.

All I did, was simply take a short 10mm bolt, wrapped it in teflon tape to make sure it fits SNUGGLY in the hole. Then you take the corresponding nut and thread it on the other side. If you dont have a bolt short enough to keep the clutch pedal from being stuck too far down, just pile on some washers on the side closest to the firewall.

With that said, the bolt now strikes the switch, and cruise works perfectly!

Make sure you wrap it with some sort of tape to make sure it fits firm, or if you're lucky, youll have a bolt that fits the hole perfect.

SYNSEI 01-20-2007 03:40 PM

Re: *WRITEUP* 90-93 Integra cruise control fix (t . b o z)

Cool. Mine doesnt work but I never cared enough about it to fix it. I'll look this thread up again when need something to fix. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif

BacardiBreezer 01-20-2007 05:02 PM

I think I have had this problem with both of my DAs. Is this like the brake pedal crayon-looking thing that tends to break off? I fixed mine with a penny...lol. I'll have to go do this. I don't ever use cruise, but it would be nice to know it actually works.

DraginTeg93 01-20-2007 05:33 PM

pictures ???

t . b o z 01-24-2007 04:40 PM

Re: *WRITEUP* 90-93 Integra cruise control fix (BacardiBreezer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BacardiBreezer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I have had this problem with both of my DAs. Is this like the brake pedal crayon-looking thing that tends to break off? I fixed mine with a penny...lol. I'll have to go do this. I don't ever use cruise, but it would be nice to know it actually works.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, its the same thing, but its on the clutch.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DraginTeg93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pictures ???</TD></TR></TABLE>

As for pictures..its not really hard to figure out.

Stick your head underneath the drive side dash, look where the bracket on the clutch pedal strikes the clutch switch. Notice how there is nothing there to hit the swtich.

As for the rest...you can fix it my way, or figure out something either more simple, or more retarded. Take your pic.

gotgohan 07-10-2009 10:57 AM

Re: *WRITEUP* 90-93 Integra cruise control fix

=( I thought this was what was wrong with my cruise control so I went outside JUST NOW and I think I know what your talking about but really I hope I am wrong because I want my cruise. ANYWAY

Theres this button that the clutch hits when its in. Is this what sets the cruise?
Otherwise I can see that the clutch almost hits this rusted piece on the other side but its not touching

VerbalVenom 07-11-2009 06:28 AM

^Yes that's what disables cruise control when you push in the clutch . If you get under the car and push on your clutch, you'll see where the plunger should be contacting the switch. In my case, that plunger was missing, as is the case with many G2 owners. I got rid of my cruise control some time ago but if it were working I wouldn't have ever removed it in the first place. Kinda sucks knowing all I needed was a bolt to actuate that switch.

gotgohan 07-11-2009 06:31 AM

Well that freaking sucks. I got those plungers on both break and clutch still in tact... not that its good news BECAUSE MY cruise still doesn't work. Does that tach have to be working for the cruise to work or something?

baller status 07-11-2009 07:54 AM

I had this same exact problem. But why not fix it the right way? Nearly all Hondas and Acuras have that little tab in there on both the brake and clutch pedals. Just go to the junkyard and rob the newest car you can find.

gotgohan 07-12-2009 01:16 AM

I have them though =(

gotgohan 07-12-2009 09:38 AM

which wire do I hook it up to at the strut tower?

tibbs420 08-16-2009 07:44 PM

ok so i fixed it with a bolt but the light on the cluster doesn't come on. do you have to be in 5th gear and over like 55 mph or something. when you fixed it did the buttons on the steering wheel work and when you push the cruse button dose the light come on the cluster? or tell me when it comes on. i didn't drive on a freeway cuz i have no license at the moment so im scared to test it

tibbs420 08-24-2009 08:33 PM

hello?

Brice.Hayden 08-24-2009 09:43 PM

no you dont have to be in 5th gear.

punsteg1990 11-01-2009 09:17 AM

I fixed mine with a ratchet and a socket, 3 bolts hold the unit under the hood, and a small clip at the back of the gas pedal. if you need cruise control, buy a toyota camry

ThoKMo 06-27-2012 07:59 AM

im so glad i found this just in time ! used a bolt and nut and worked perfectly from seattle to san diego thank you t . boz

nickdamartin 03-15-2013 09:16 AM

thank you for the write up. i have to see if it is the switch tonight. if it is i dont even want to think about how much you saved me in shop bills.

KILLAB17VTEC 03-15-2013 01:16 PM

post pic.. I'm tryin to figure mine out I got no cruise rite now.

civiceagle2 04-20-2013 03:58 AM

pics would help my dumbass, will post picture of mine, something seems sketchyy sketchyy.

hb420 06-17-2013 11:22 PM

Glad i came across this thread, fixed my cruise control also before a long road trip next week

Farmer2 12-27-2015 11:33 AM

Thanks t.boz!! Just bought a 93' GS and the cruise did not work. I looked down on the clutch pedal and sure enough there was a hole where the rubber goes in. I used a plastic barbed fastener used to hold bumper covers or plastic panels to metal. Fit perfect and took it for a ride. Worked great!

You Da Man!

Thanks again, Dave