Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   Need Help...Locating Transmission Drain Plug!?!? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/need-help-locating-transmission-drain-plug-1711883/)

Tech-Nics 08-04-2006 01:24 PM

Need Help...Locating Transmission Drain Plug!?!?

can some one please post a picture of where the transmission drain plug is?
or atleast explain where its located...im going to do a drain and refill...

thank you...

businessmanph 08-04-2006 01:55 PM

Re: Need Help...Locating Transmission Drain Plug!?!? (Tech-Nics)

it's near the front passenger tire

get a 3/8th ratchet

and stick it into the square shaped bolt

sony224422 08-04-2006 04:54 PM

Re: Need Help...Locating Transmission Drain Plug!?!? (businessmanph)

its in there pretty tight too.. make sure you use a big rachet

JimBlake 08-04-2006 07:27 PM

Re: Need Help...Locating Transmission Drain Plug!?!? (Tech-Nics)

Auto or manual tranny? V-6 or 4-cyl? It matters.

Tech-Nics 08-04-2006 08:24 PM

auto/4-cyl

MestizoRacer310 08-04-2006 10:16 PM

Re: (Tech-Nics)

Passenger side like businessmanph said. Make sure to use a long handled ratchet...

iam7head 08-05-2006 01:24 AM

Re: (MestizoRacer310)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MestizoRacer310 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Passenger side like businessmanph said. Make sure to use a long handled ratchet...</TD></TR></TABLE>

bad idea actually, most people use a long rachet and turn it slowly, because the metal to metal contact it's easy to stripe the bolt that way.

use a regular size handle and give it a quick blow, one good yank will break it loose

MestizoRacer310 08-05-2006 07:05 PM

Re: (iam7head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iam7head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">metal to metal contact it's easy to stripe the bolt that way.

use a regular size handle and give it a quick blow, one good yank will break it loose</TD></TR></TABLE>
What metal to metal contact are you talking about? Not trying to sound dumb or nothing but I don't see what you're speaking of...

Tech-Nics 08-06-2006 06:38 AM

well...the drain and refill was a complete success...thanks to you guys for helping me out...the lug came out with one great big jolt...i used the regular size ratchet. came out like a champ. looks like the person who owned the car before me had atleast 6 1/2 quarts of tranny fluid in before....but now i drained all that crap out and filled it with 4 quarts of Honda ATF...car runs alot better and shifts silky smooth....

thanks again to all that helped me...

thatasiankidtony 08-06-2006 06:30 PM

I used another ATF brand, do you guys think that can be a reason it's shifting hard?

JimBlake 08-06-2006 06:33 PM

Re: (Tech-Nics)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tech-Nics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... looks like the person who owned the car before me had atleast 6 1/2 quarts of tranny fluid in before....but now i drained all that crap out and filled it with 4 quarts of Honda ATF...car runs alot better and shifts silky smooth....

thanks again to all that helped me...</TD></TR></TABLE>Fill whatever amount makes the correct level on the dipstick. (Car warmed up, shift into park, turn OFF the engine.) Don't simply go by quarts. The tranny & torque converter have something like 7 or 8 quarts in there, but only 1/3 or 1/2 of it can drain out.