Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   99 Accord Shaking Steering Wheel Problem (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/99-accord-shaking-steering-wheel-problem-1666670/)

Jedimiah 06-21-2006 09:14 AM

99 Accord Shaking Steering Wheel Problem

I have a 99 Honda Accord and it seems that the steering wheel shakes at exactly 60mph or more. Not only that when I drive at lower speeds and let go of the wheel the steering wheel goes from left to right in short intervals. I just wanted to know what to look for and what might be the problem. I know the alignment is off a bit but that wouldn't cause shaking, would it? I'm not going to take this car on vacation next week becasue of this problem but if it is a quick fix I would like to know. Thanks.

Ross 2.0 06-21-2006 09:23 AM

You need to check for broken belts in the tires and definately have that alignment done, but I bet you have a broken belt in one of your tires (look for bulges in the tread)

dadado 06-21-2006 09:44 AM

Re: 99 Accord Shaking Steering Wheel Problem (Jedimiah)

yea I would look into the tires too.

Jebbadiah 06-21-2006 10:12 AM

It sounds like you need a frontend aline ment

Ross 2.0 06-21-2006 10:14 AM

Re: 99 Accord Shaking Steering Wheel Problem (Jebbadiah)

Hey we have jebbadiah and Jedimiah in the same thread. lol

desi01 06-21-2006 11:01 AM

Re: 99 Accord Shaking Steering Wheel Problem (MooGoCow3)

I have a similar problem with my 97 lx. The wheel starts shaking a lot at 55mph+, but doesnt shake around at lower speeds at all. I checked the wheels and there doesn't seem to be any bulges in any of them so I don't know what could be wrong.

q45mm 06-21-2006 11:46 AM

Re: 99 Accord Shaking Steering Wheel Problem (desi01)

like COW said could be a wheel issue.
I would check the fallowing:
Bent rim
Bad ball joint (not likely)
Bad tie rod (?)
Broken band in the tire
Balancing issue could also be part of it

Could also be a combination of 1 or more items stated.

Check that stuff out the get back

Honda-Master 06-21-2006 11:47 AM

http://www.hondaaccordforum.co...m.htm

HERE is some infos..

Jedimiah 06-21-2006 12:08 PM

Thanks, I didnt see any bulges and tires are the correct PSI. I know how to check the rim but what about the tie rods and ball joints what am I looking for. I have a manual and can easily locate these parts. If it is either of those 2 how much do those run to get fixed?

nah22accord 06-21-2006 12:21 PM

Re: (Jedimiah)

Front end alignment.
Wheel balanced.
Warped brake rotors.

Ross 2.0 06-21-2006 12:25 PM

I would think tie rods now. Jack the front of the car up securely and place your hands on 3 and 9 on the tire and rock it back and forth,if you feel free play then the tie rod snds are bad. If you jack it up by the lower control arms and place your hands at 12 and 6 and feel movement you have a worn ball joint or two.

JimBlake 06-21-2006 12:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jedimiah &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks, I didnt see any bulges and tires are the correct PSI...</TD></TR></TABLE>I have had a belt separate without bulging. Maybe it bulged inside the tire instead of outside, but it drove me nuts. After it got really bad it finally squirmed a little when you spin the tire, but by that time some wires were poking thru the tread.
Just 'cause you can't see any bulges, that doesn't absolutely rule out a defective tire.

q45mm 06-21-2006 01:15 PM

Re: (JimBlake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just 'cause you can't see any bulges, that doesn't absolutely rule out a defective tire.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rotate the front to rear and see if the shaking goes away at least then you can definitely eliminate the tires

JimBlake 06-21-2006 04:36 PM

Re: (q45mm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by q45mm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rotate the front to rear and see if the shaking goes away at least then you can definitely eliminate the tires</TD></TR></TABLE>When I swapped mine front/rear, the shaking changed character, but didn't go away. The change was pretty subtle, easily missed. If you have alternate tires (track, snow, or borrowed from a friend) swap them entirely. I only convinced myself when I switched to my other tires.

92ehatch 06-21-2006 05:32 PM

Re: (JimBlake)

go get them balanced at a place that also checks roadforce

if the roadforce is above say, .020" on the front wheels/tires then its just as bad as being out of balance.

they can then turn the tires and get rim run outs to try to lessen the roadforce.

if you have 3 bent rims like i do, then your skrewed tho https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif