Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Prelude (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/)
-   -   Brakes - Ceramic or Semi-Metallic? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/brakes-ceramic-semi-metallic-1448614/)

smprelude 11-29-2005 10:40 AM

Brakes - Ceramic or Semi-Metallic?

I am new to the forum, and don't know much about cars but I try to be a conscious prelude owner, and take care of my vehicle. I'd love to fix it up but for now, I'm just trying to keep it in tip top condition until I can pour some cash into the thing. My question is this: What kind of brake pad should I put on my 97 prelude, for normal driving conditions? I've got Honda Dealerships telling me only semi-metallic. I've got brake companies and websites telling me Ceramic, and that it even came with ceramic on it originally! I'm so confused. I'm afraid to put ceramic for fear that it'll be as noisy as Honda Dealers are telling me. Yet, I see online that ceramic's are quieter and has a lack of visible dust. Please someone just give me a hint as to what I should do for a GOOD all around Prelude brake pad!

ilikehonda 11-29-2005 10:57 AM

Re: Brakes - Ceramic or Semi-Metallic? (smprelude)

here is the deal with brake pads....
organic pads have no metal flake and there for do not disperse the heat through the pad like a semi or metalic pad. organic pads will stop u just as well as a metallic. the theory behind the metallic is that the metal shavings in the pad would disperse the heat through the pad preventing the rotar from warping or heat cracking. however its been shown that metallic pads actually hold heat instead of disperse it. so there for the organic pads disperse the heat better than the metalic. organic pads wont last as long but they are cheaper. however if you want the longer time frame go with metallic. In you situation being a daily driver it is all up to you. either will work.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif
the ceramic pad you are reffering to is a performance and does not need to be put on a daily driver unless you are doing some autox or something that requires hard brakeing often. save your money and hit up the semi-mettalic or even an organic...ill bet that they dont make the organic brake pads for your car.

if im wrong please someone correct me.

Modified by ilikehonda at 4:02 PM 11/29/2005

ludesrv 11-29-2005 11:02 AM

Re: Brakes - Ceramic or Semi-Metallic? (ilikehonda)

Bravo. It's hard to explain to people the difference, but you got it bang on.

Ceramics don't make any noise either, an added bonus.

The_Sober 11-29-2005 02:35 PM

Re: Brakes - Ceramic or Semi-Metallic? (ludesrv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ilikehonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here is the deal with brake pads....
ceramic pads have no metal flake and there for do not disperse the heat through the pad like a semi or metalic pad. ceramic pads will stop u just as well as a metallic. the theory behind the metallic is that the metal shavings in the pad would disperse the heat through the pad preventing the rotar from warping or heat crackin. however its been shown that metallic pads actually hold heat instead of disperse it. so there for the ceramic pads disperse the heat better than the metalic. Ceramic pads wont last as long but they are cheaper. so if you have the knowlede of changing the pads i say go for the ceramic. however if you want the longer time frame go with metallic. In you situation being a daily driver it is all up to you. either will work.

so save money and have to change the pads sooner with the ceramic or spend a little more and enjoy the longevity of the semi metalic

if im wrong please someone correct me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're close. Brake pads with metal flakes in them (they're called sintered pads) will stop you better thn non-metallic pads. Not so much braking distance, but rather the amount of force required to create the necessary amount of friction to slow you down. The problem with sintered pads is that they tend to wear the rotors faster. Ceramic is nice, and they'll give you great braking, but in my experience, they won't give you the same amount of feedback as a semi-metallic pad. They also won't give you that initial "bite" that you get when using Semis. And they'll wear faster. And they're more expensive.

Unless you're racing (and I don't mean drag https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif ), don't bother with ceramic.

ilikehonda 11-29-2005 02:59 PM

Re: Brakes - Ceramic or Semi-Metallic? (The_Sober)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludesrv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bravo. It's hard to explain to people the difference, but you got it bang on.

Ceramics don't make any noise either, an added bonus.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the pads that you are referring to are not the same that I am. sintered pads are a metal pad. semi metallic pads are basicily a organic pad with metal flake. ceramic pads are the newest thing. I am going to correct my self as well as my post. Organic pads are cheaper and dont last as long. while semi metallic pads are more expensive and last longer. ceramic pads are a performance pad. so for daily driving i would use just semi- metallic. i actuall use organic pads on mine and are happy with them. i was switching the two earlier.

InvaderTrax 11-29-2005 09:07 PM

Semi metallic all the way. Also, another downside to ceramic pads is although they don't ware as fast, they'll eat up your rotors

redlude503 11-29-2005 11:40 PM

Is it true that ceramic pads need to be warmed up before they reach their optimal effectiveness? So for a daily driver wouldnt be a good choice because you hardly ever heat up your pads much?

ludesrv 11-30-2005 06:00 AM

Re: (redlude503)

^^^ Speak for yourself.

My civic has Ceramic Pads (Hawks) on KVR cross drilled rotors. I beat the shit out of that car and the brakes are awesome. With that combo I put 50000kms before I had to replace my rotors, and I brake hard, everywhere all the time (yes, even in the winter). The pads are now at 65000kms on them and they are still at a good 40% left. Maybe I'm not super hard on them...but they do last a long time. Stock rotors should use stock pads tho, leave at that.

imadigitalgod 06-03-2006 08:25 PM

Re: (ludesrv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludesrv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock rotors should use stock pads tho, leave at that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

should u really just stick with honda pads with factory rotors? I am changing the brakes on my 100% stock civic. i was deciding on what to get, either the semi-metalic brakes or the ceramic ones. im also goin to getmy factory rotors turned as well. also, what type of pad are the OEM pads?

93civic_sedan 06-04-2006 06:03 AM

I have ceramic pads on my hatch with Brembo blanks. It is technically my daily driver but I have been driving my girlfriends car recently. The ceramis pads are nice, I think my setup is pretty nice https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

AZprelude 06-05-2006 04:05 AM

ceramic rock

maks 06-05-2006 12:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludesrv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^ Speak for yourself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's because the civic is the fastest car in the world yO!

Haha, actually, a Civic was beating on a Viper at Shannonville this weekend (only in the rain + qualifiers though... for the actual race on dry pavement, Viper kicked butt)

I find that semi metallic pads do a great job for general purpose use. Not all pads are created equal... If you ask at a store... you'll also find out that there are ones which dust less than others.

imadigitalgod 06-06-2006 09:54 AM

Re: (maks)

when i was having my rotors turned at Oreilly Auto Parts(only $7 a piece to have them turned, way cheaper than just buying new ones https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif ) i rode my bike down to NAPA(didnt watto drive my car, lol) and saw what pads they have. I got their top of the line premium Ceramix pads for my car. i have to put the other side on later on today. ill see how it goes

hu 06-06-2006 10:03 AM

Ceramic all the way.

imadigitalgod 06-07-2006 07:17 AM

Re: (hu)

has anyone used the Ceramix fron NAPA?

Alicia Willfang 05-11-2013 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by imadigitalgod (Post 22078034)
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludesrv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock rotors should use stock pads tho, leave at that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

should u really just stick with honda pads with factory rotors? I am changing the brakes on my 100% stock civic. i was deciding on what to get, either the semi-metalic brakes or the ceramic ones. im also goin to getmy factory rotors turned as well. also, what type of pad are the OEM pads?

OEM Honda pads are semi metallic ^^