Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   Battery/cable replacement (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/battery-cable-replacement-1428488/)

Comitizer 11-08-2005 07:37 PM

Battery/cable replacement

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of battery should put in my '93 Accord? I was looking on a website and it lists stats like this:

GP34/78 / 875 CCA

I don't really know what that means, can anyone help me out?

Also, my connector on my battery cable is badly coroded. When I went to losen it so I could clean the terminals (they were foaming) it cracked. I need to replace this cable (or the connector I suppose). What is the best way to do this? Is it easy or should I just get a professional to do it?

Thanks for the help!

Comitizer

.Ry 11-08-2005 07:54 PM

Re: Battery/cable replacement (Comitizer)

34/78 is the group size. 34 and 78 and roughly the same so they put them together but you can buy a 34 or a 78. go to sears and buy a diehard gold 3 year free replacement, and then pro rate. sears will also have new terminals which are easy to replace. pm me with questions.

JimBlake 11-09-2005 04:25 AM

If the battery cables are badly corroded at the battery, you might want to check the OTHER end of each cable. If they're bad too, consider replacing the cables, not just the terminals.

Comitizer 11-09-2005 12:28 PM

Re: Battery/cable replacement (turner7205)

Hey, couple of questions regarding the battery install.

What do you mean by this "and then pro rate." Also, there are a few cables that join together to form my positive terminal. Do I just strip them all and then put the new terminal on and then seal it with electrical tape? What is the easiest way to do this?

I IM'ed this to you too but I wasn't sure if it would go through.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

ClimaxCRX 11-09-2005 12:53 PM

I would recommend replacing the whole cable. You could go to any of your local auto parts store and tell them you need a battery cable, and they will give you the one with the proper length and it should have any other connectors you would need already attached, you would just replace the old with the new. I think I spent about $5 for a new cable a couple of weeks ago. If you are having a lot of corrosion problems it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a battery for about $40-$80 depending on how long the warranty is and what type of battery you get. Plus you will probably get a discount if you bring in your old battery core.

Comitizer 11-09-2005 01:17 PM

Re: Battery/cable replacement (ClimaxCRX)

Ok, that might be the way I go. I am 100% getting a new battery I just wasn't sure about the battery cable situation. Has anyone replaced on in a '93 Accord? Is this easy? Where does the other end of the cable wind up?

Thanks!

Comitizer

213374U 11-09-2005 01:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Comitizer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Where does the other end of the cable wind up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Positive or Negative side???

Comitizer 11-09-2005 04:09 PM

Re: Battery/cable replacement (Vt4cPwn35)

Positive side. That is the one I would have to replace.

JimBlake 11-10-2005 03:36 AM

That would probably go to the starter. Disconnect the (-) cable first; it's pretty easy to short a wrench to ground when you're disconnecting the (+) cable from the starter.

Check for corrosion at the other end of the (-) cable. It's probably screwed to the fender or some sheetmetal near (under?) the battery.

ricebike 11-10-2005 10:03 AM

to add,

size 34 =top posts
size 78 =side posts

coupled w/ that many CCA power, that's a universal size to fit most cars (a good thing since it can be relatively cheap)

Walmart's Yellow battery has a competitive price/ warranty. But, this particular 34/78 batter has the top posts on the center & not on the edge of the battery... so it can be made to be flipped to the corresponding battery cables.

As for the cable/terminal... i haveta see the condition of the wire to make a decision on just buying the terminal... safe bet: get the whole wire.

Modified by ricebike at 2:14 PM 11/10/2005

Modified by ricebike at 2:15 PM 11/10/2005