Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   Power Steering Pump 2000 Accord (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/power-steering-pump-2000-accord-1400834/)

Montie 10-12-2005 11:15 AM

Power Steering Pump 2000 Accord

I'm a newby to list. My wife's 2000 Accord's alternator went out and while replacing it, I disconnected the hose between the power steering pump and reservoir so I could move the reservoir and get my hand into the alternator. I finished the job and reconnected the hose. When I cranked the car up there was noise from pump. Car was turned off immediately. I noticed air mixed with power steering fluid and fluid was coming out of top of reservoir. Friends told me I had air in system and to raise car off ground, crank car for short periods to try to get air from system. Over a couple of days I ran car for 3-4 seconds, waited for bubblies to float out of fluid in the reservoir, then cranked car again (over and over). Although the steering is working without effort when we drive the car now, there is still a fairly loud noise coming from the pump. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

Elvis1977 10-12-2005 11:34 AM

Re: Power Steering Pump 2000 Accord (Montie)

tension correct? 4-cyl. or v-6 motor? If 4-cly. then there is no need to disconnect power sterring line to get the alternator out.

Modified by Elvis1977 at 3:46 PM 10/12/2005

Montie 10-12-2005 11:48 AM

Re: Power Steering Pump 2000 Accord (Elvis1977)

If you are referring to the belt on the power steering pump, I didn't change or move the belt. I don't think the alternator belt (which I did loosen) is the same belt as the power steering pump belt. I'll check when I get home. Thanks.

Elvis1977 10-12-2005 12:04 PM

No. There are two different belts for 4-cyl. motors. One for the altenator which you had to loosen to remove, and one for the power sterring which you did not touch. But, you can check the tension on it. Also, one way of removing air in the system is by turning your wheels all the way from left to right slowly while in park. Add only Honda fluid when needed. Also, make sure tension on alternator belt is good.

Montie 10-12-2005 12:18 PM

I used Honda fluid. (someone suggested replacing fluid to see if it would solve the problem, which I did, but it didn't help) I have turned the steering wheel both directions numerous times both while the car was running and when the engine was off. Thanks.

Montie 10-12-2005 12:19 PM

I will check the tension on the pump belt.

HondaTechPro 10-12-2005 05:51 PM

What you are hearing is a "rrrrrrrrrrrr" type of sound..... cause by air in the power steering system. Now, if you disconnected the hose, it is expected that there will be some air in the system. If this is the case, the only way to bleed it out is to drive it.... keep working the wheel back and forth, and it should diminish as time goes on. It shouldn't go on for more than a couple of days. Keep checking the fluid level, because as the air works itself out, the level will go down. Also something to keep in mind is air getting into the system. If there is a torn o-ring or maybe a hose clamp that is out of position and letting air into the system from the suction side of the pump it will never bleed out, unless of course you fix it. Good Luck.

HondaMike17 10-12-2005 07:39 PM

Re: Power Steering Pump 2000 Accord (HondaTechPro)

make sure you mounted it back on good, i take it when you removed the hose leading from the reservoir all the fluids drained out? hopefully you didnt attempt to keep the fluid in there, theres nothing wrong with the fluid, but it seems like if you would have emptied the reservoir after taking it off, and then waited till all the hoses were reconnected tightly and then filled it back up, it wouldnt have those problems. Air is the only thing that i could possibly imagine thats causing the sound, and id definitly listen to HondaTechPro about that.