Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   Parking Brake Light staying on after releasing hand brake (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/parking-brake-light-staying-after-releasing-hand-brake-1379468/)

RedGSR 09-22-2005 06:03 AM

Parking Brake Light staying on after releasing hand brake

I have a 00 Accord EX w/ rear disk.

The parking brake light on the dash board is staying on even after I released the hand brake. I notice that it sometimes turns off when I step on the brake (not always). But moments after I release the brake, the light comes back on.

Does anyone know what is the problem?

Chritter 09-22-2005 06:50 AM

Re: Parking Brake Light staying on after releasing hand brake (RedGSR)

haha well i can't tell you what your problem is yet, but i am working on that. my car does the same thing. some times it stays on, sometimes it goes off and sometimes it randomly changes. weird.

RedGSR 09-22-2005 07:00 AM

Re: Parking Brake Light staying on after releasing hand brake (Chritter)

mine seems to be pretty random too. But it is on most of the time. It started happened last night and got worse this morning.

Matt00 09-22-2005 08:11 AM

I have the SAME PROBLEM. Ever since i bought my 2000 ex coupe last october it happens. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the master cylinder cap. They replaced it and 10 months later same problem. Went back and got a new cap under warrantee from the old one, problem solved again, until....lol

JimBlake 09-22-2005 09:32 AM

Re: Parking Brake Light staying on after releasing hand brake (Matt00)

That warning light is triggered by 2 different things, along with what to check or fix for each...

Handbrake lever. There's a little pushbutton switch under the lever (take the console apart). Check to make sure the lever actually pushes the button down. Sometimes the bracket gets bent so when the lever is down it's not pushing the button.

Brake fluid reservoir. There's a float switch in the reservoir cap. If the reservoir is actually full, then unplug the wires going to the cap. If that fixes it, you can try cleaning off the float so it doesn't stick. Or get a new cap. (Don't just leave it unplugged.)

Elvis1977 09-22-2005 09:53 AM

Check brake fluid reservior and add fluid to full mark. The float will reset itself with more fluid added.

RedGSR 09-22-2005 03:44 PM

It was indeed brake fluid. Now the question is, why does it go low so fast? I changed the brake fluid 2 months ago and it is low so quick

deserthonda 09-22-2005 03:47 PM

Re: (RedGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It was indeed brake fluid. Now the question is, why does it go low so fast? I changed the brake fluid 2 months ago and it is low so quick</TD></TR></TABLE>

mmmmmmm did u chk for any leaks??? pads wearing down ???

RedGSR 09-22-2005 03:59 PM

Re: (deserthonda)

I had the disk and pads replaced soon after I changed the fluid.

It is raining outside, can't really check for leak now. I'll check when it is dry outside. Hope it isn't anything major

rival12 09-22-2005 08:50 PM

Re: (RedGSR)

My Friend has a 2001 Integra GS-R, Yeah could be a leak.

but in my friends case, we took of the cap, played with the float, it was sticking a little bit, after we lifted it up and down rapidly, it fixed the problem.