Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   best honda engine to turbo (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/best-honda-engine-turbo-1378255/)

collegesux 09-20-2005 11:20 PM

best honda engine to turbo

whats the best honda engine to turbo im looking to turbo an engine for a hatch and i want to know what everyone thinks before i go buying the engine.

JDM_Ej 09-20-2005 11:22 PM

Re: best honda engine to turbo (collegesux)

B-Series. In stock form the B18 non-vtec, (Integra GS/RS/LS engine) is the most boost friendly due to its lower compression.

collegesux 09-20-2005 11:31 PM

Re: best honda engine to turbo (JDM_Ej)

how are b20 engines boosted

extrmeboost 09-20-2005 11:52 PM

in my experience if were talking about stock form, crap. A friend of mine had a b20 turbo in an ek hatch, i walked all over him with my turbo sohc coupe on the same boost levels. The b20s cant take as much as the ls(b18 non vtec) motors. Plus the ls swap would be easier to get ahold of.

shamoo 09-20-2005 11:55 PM

Re: best honda engine to turbo (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B-Series. In stock form the B18 non-vtec, (Integra GS/RS/LS engine) is the most boost friendly due to its lower compression.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In stock forum, I'd say the GSR is the better one to boost. With stock boost levels (8-10psi tuned), the additional Vtec would yield much greater results. I have installed turbo kits on LS's and GSR's and the GSR's made about 20-30 more horsepower to the wheels in the upper RPM ranges.

When you're going all out and building the motor, then it doesn't really matter too much what B-series you can go with. You can change the compression to whatever you want, and Vtec is basically insignificant when you have so many cam choices with the non-Vtec and Vtec engines.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by collegesux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how are b20 engines boosted</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not as good, technically, as the sleeves are thinner. However, at stock boost levels, you will get a little more power due to the increased displacement. However, based on what I said above, if you're building the motor and going crazy with it, then it doesn't matter what B-series you choose. You can sleeve a B18 to a 2.0L.

labatt50 09-21-2005 01:21 AM

A20A1 FROM THE OLD ACCORD.... iron deck!

EKCRX-Ihadastupidusername 09-21-2005 01:56 AM

Re: best honda engine to turbo (labatt50)

You mean A20A3?

A20A1 is carbureted, and wouldn't be comatible for turbo. Turbo carb has been done, but sucks, and therefore never took off.

Otherwise, with only 120 HP and 120 TQ, with 12 valves, The A20A3 motor sucks. But it might haul in put in a EH2 stripped CX and turbo'd.

JDMHatch95si 09-21-2005 07:45 AM

Re: best honda engine to turbo (diegoaccord)

B18B .......... cant be beat for the price

JDM-97CX 09-21-2005 07:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by collegesux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the best honda engine to turbo im looking to turbo an engine for a hatch and i want to know what everyone thinks before i go buying the engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How about start with one you can afford.

sockvtec 09-21-2005 08:00 AM

Re: best honda engine to turbo (JDM-97CX)

good idea JDM-97CX

EJ1 wilcox 09-21-2005 08:41 AM

Re: best honda engine to turbo (sockvtec)

B18b https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

They have low compression, strong rods, and a good amount of torque down low.

I wouldn't boost a b20 simply because the sleeves are too thin and are prone to cracking.

B18c would be another excellent option if you have the $$. Even on low boost you can get a lot of horsepower out of them.

Falqon 09-21-2005 08:50 AM

Re: best honda engine to turbo (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How about start with one you can afford.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure he can afford a D15, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

JDM-97CX 09-21-2005 11:32 AM

Re: best honda engine to turbo (Falqon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Falqon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm sure he can afford a D15, doesn't mean it's a good idea.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasn't trying to say what he can or cannot afford, but something tells me that this kid isn't going to get a K20 and turbo that. My point was to get the best that he can with his money, not the best in general.

juan3023 11-23-2011 11:26 AM

Re: best honda engine to turbo

sorry to bump such an old thread but I was Googleing around and it lead me to this thread so you guys would say the best bang for your buck would be ls ?

Former User 11-23-2011 12:02 PM

Re: best honda engine to turbo

Originally Posted by juan3023 (Post 46404338)
sorry to bump such an old thread but I was Googleing around and it lead me to this thread so you guys would say the best bang for your buck would be ls ?

Given the advanced age of this thread, it would be best for you to create your thread.