Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   car shuts off when turning steering wheel (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/car-shuts-off-when-turning-steering-wheel-1367464/)

Linh. 09-10-2005 06:37 PM

car shuts off when turning steering wheel

I have this problem when i slighty turn the steering wheel the car completely shuts off. The only thing i can do is go straight forward/backwards. I tried changing the power steering belt but that wasn't it.

hondapwr 09-10-2005 06:51 PM

Re: car shuts off when turning steering wheel (shooitslinh)

Try pushing the brake pedal and turning on the AC. Does the car shut off when you do that too? If so, you might have a bad ELD. Check your voltage at the battery too.

Linh. 09-10-2005 07:22 PM

Re: car shuts off when turning steering wheel (hondapwr)

no the ac works perfectly fine and the battery is brand new

boosted civic 2k6 09-10-2005 07:38 PM

has to do nothing w/ ur powersteeing cuz unless ur pulley and belt is froze up somehow that it causes the crank to freeze up along with it...the engine shouldnt cut off. really if you think about it has NOTHING TO DO WITH POWER STEERING lol. because powersteering drives the pump and a bad pump does not cause an engine to cut off. what im thinking is you have some loose wires inside your steering column or maybe when someone didnt install your ingition righ or its worn out watever.

can you be a little more descriptive? does the car JERK DIE. or does it just shut off like you just turned off the key. does your radio still work after that? im thinking it has something to do with your ignition and somehow when you turn the wheel its moving wires along with it? lol. someone help this guy out. good luck man

skunk2finatic 09-10-2005 07:42 PM

check your ignition switch....I bet your either pullin a wire when you turn it or your grounding out or something..

SL!M 09-10-2005 07:52 PM

It has nothing to do with your belts, its an electrical short in the steering column and is causing the car to cut-off. Other than that I have no idea. You might want to take that to a mechanic.

Linh. 09-11-2005 08:23 AM

Re: (SL!M)

Nope the radio doesnt not work. When your turn the car on it idles at around 500-800 and jumps up and down like the car is about to die out. But if you step on the gas it starts to idle at 1k rpm. When you turn the steering wheel the car shakes and dies out. Another thing is that it seems like the cat is clogged because when you step on the gas the whole exhaust system starts to shake

SiR:Mallard 09-11-2005 08:48 AM

Re: car shuts off when turning steering wheel (skunk2finatic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunk2finatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your ignition switch....I bet your either pullin a wire when you turn it or your grounding out or something..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree. You probably wrapped a wire harness around the steering shaft and have sucessfully worn through the wire insulation. The other likely cause could be your ignition harness plugs are loose at the base of the ignition. Pop the bottom cover off your column and check the 3 white harness plugs. Not sure what model care you have, but you may only have two. Once on each side of the steering shaft.

EJ8VTEC 09-11-2005 09:19 AM

Re: (shooitslinh)

Check your grounds n every thing else said prior

edit:oh that was said too

Linh. 09-11-2005 11:38 AM

Re: (EJ8VTEC)

ill try and check that

jdm y0 09-11-2005 12:02 PM

LOL sorry that sucks. best of luck 2 you fixing that https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

hondapwr 09-11-2005 01:17 PM

Why not disconnect the exhaust from the header back to rule out the clogged cat theory? Also wouldn't hurt to check your pulleys to make sure they're not siezed.

Linh. 09-14-2005 10:15 AM

Re: (hondapwr)

i dont think its an electrical shortage because if you step on the gas you can turn the steering wheel im thinking that its the idle speed control valve

dreamer2414 04-14-2011 06:22 AM

Re: car shuts off when turning steering wheel

Seriously it takes a female to figure this out, its none of the above listings except in rare circumstances that something else lead it to do that issue. If I were you I would look into you fuel injector as this has alot to do with a car shutting off when you turn the wheel, especially if you feel the car kinda making a bouncy feeling. I would look into all your fuel areas of your car to find out if its the injector or something else along the lines of the fuel process. Also check into your vacuum system as this sometimes can affect your car in this manner also. Hope this helps.

biggdogg 04-14-2011 07:52 AM

take the ps belt off. if it doesnt do it then you have a ps pump intermittently locking up and killing the engine. happened on a customers car replaced pump and went away.

thecruzs2007@yahoo.com 04-14-2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by skunk2finatic (Post 17483673)
check your ignition switch....I bet your either pullin a wire when you turn it or your grounding out or something..

x2

Linh. 04-14-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer2414 (Post 45073336)
Seriously it takes a female to figure this out, its none of the above listings except in rare circumstances that something else lead it to do that issue. If I were you I would look into you fuel injector as this has alot to do with a car shutting off when you turn the wheel, especially if you feel the car kinda making a bouncy feeling. I would look into all your fuel areas of your car to find out if its the injector or something else along the lines of the fuel process. Also check into your vacuum system as this sometimes can affect your car in this manner also. Hope this helps.

This thread is from 05

TwoFaced 04-14-2011 03:54 PM

Lol. fail.

mooze 04-15-2011 02:36 AM

super