Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   95 Accord, BRAKE and ABS dash lights on, why? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/95-accord-brake-abs-dash-lights-why-1349648/)

ThumperAC 08-24-2005 05:45 AM

95 Accord, BRAKE and ABS dash lights on, why?

I have a 1995 accord EX and just yesterday the BRAKE dash light started comming on and off, then after about an hour of driving it came on and stayed on. After another short time driving, my ABS dash light came on. Currently, both lights are on, any advice on what could be wrong? (obviously could be brakes, but anything specific?)

Thanks!

JimBlake 08-24-2005 06:11 AM

Re: 95 Accord, BRAKE and ABS dash lights on, why? (ThumperAC)

The brake lamp is the one for the handbrake? If so, it's also connected to a float switch in the MC reservoir, so check whether your brake fluid is low. If not that, check the little switch down at the handbrake lever. Sometimes the bracket gets bent or loose & it doesn't press the switch even when the handbrake lever is down.

With that light on, your ABS system thinks you're driving around with the handbrake set, so it throws it's own error. Search for how to read ABS error codes, 'cause it just might be somthing completely unrelated.

ThumperAC 08-25-2005 01:02 PM

Re: 95 Accord, BRAKE and ABS dash lights on, why? (JimBlake)

thanks! the brake fluid is low, off to pepboys I go

sauceja 08-25-2005 06:48 PM

Re: 95 Accord, BRAKE and ABS dash lights on, why? (ThumperAC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThumperAC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks! the brake fluid is low, off to pepboys I go</TD></TR></TABLE>

I recommend using only Honda fluids for stuff like brakes PS Coolant and tranny. That off the shelf stuff may contaminate your original and also not last as long causing premature malfunctions.

But that is just me. Also if your fluid is low there is a BIG reason. Either you have a leak or you brakes are wearing down. You may want to check brakes & for leaks.

ThumperAC 08-31-2005 05:58 AM

Re: 95 Accord, BRAKE and ABS dash lights on, why? (sauceja)

sauceja,

Thanks, I filled the brake fluid just last week and its again down to the empty level. Looks like I will have to attempt to check my brakes for leaks.

Is there an online guide as to how I attempt this?

Thanks

ricebike 08-31-2005 09:31 AM

basically, you'll have to lift the car on jacks, remove the wheels & do a visual... can o brakeclean is optional.

rear drum setup may require a manual...since you'll have to remove the drums to inspect the wheel cylinders.

I heard that if u goto autozone.com, there's a
few online repair manuals for some model cars...

+ i saw a couple of links to FactoryServiceManual quality pdf documents online floating around...

deserthonda 08-31-2005 03:56 PM

Re: (ricebike)

just pull the tire out and the drums will come right out . once out pull back on the rubber dust cover at wheel cylinder if any fluid comes out it is time to replace them

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ricebike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">basically, you'll have to lift the car on jacks, remove the wheels & do a visual... can o brakeclean is optional.

rear drum setup may require a manual...since you'll have to remove the drums to inspect the wheel cylinders.

I heard that if u goto autozone.com, there's a
few online repair manuals for some model cars...

+ i saw a couple of links to FactoryServiceManual quality pdf documents online floating around...</TD></TR></TABLE>