Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Tech / Misc (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/)
-   -   how to check for bent/leaking valves..head is off car (https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/how-check-bent-leaking-valves-head-off-car-1244868/)

RHDintegXsi 05-13-2005 09:55 AM

how to check for bent/leaking valves..head is off car

i have a gsr head off the motor already...is there a way i myself can check for bent valves?

Pootie 05-13-2005 01:13 PM

Re: how to check for bent/leaking valves..head is off car (SINFULintegXsi)

pour gasoline into the combustion chamber and see if it leaks out intake/exhaust ports

mmuller 05-13-2005 01:24 PM

Re: how to check for bent/leaking valves..head is off car (Pootie)

or brake cleaner.
i usually put it in the ports and see if it leaks into the comb. chamber.

Chiovnidca 05-13-2005 05:16 PM

Re: how to check for bent/leaking valves..head is off car (mmuller)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mmuller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or brake cleaner.
i usually put it in the ports and see if it leaks into the comb. chamber.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's how I do it too.

WestCoRacer 05-13-2005 05:40 PM

Re: how to check for bent/leaking valves..head is off car (Chiovnidca)

I use paint thinner as it is safer than gasoline but works the same. Do it in a ventilated area.

Pootie 05-13-2005 08:29 PM

Re: how to check for bent/leaking valves..head is off car (WestCoRacer)

Out of curiousity how's putting gasoline in the combustion chamber, less safe?

RHDintegXsi 05-13-2005 10:31 PM

Re: how to check for bent/leaking valves..head is off car (Pootie)

ok i did that...now in 3 intake valves there is a slow slow leak...like it will drip maybe twice a minute..does it need new valves? or is there an alternative fix?

cruizinmax 05-13-2005 10:54 PM

There is a possibility it could be carbon buildup on the seat or where the valve contacts the seat. Maybe you should find out if the valves are bent or if they just aren't sealing.

Takumi Fujiwara 05-13-2005 11:05 PM

Re: (cruizinmax)

I'm curious, is this how machine shops check for bent valves? Or is the leaking method only checking for worn valve seals?

mmuller 05-13-2005 11:08 PM

Re: (Takumi Fujiwara)

shops vacuum test.
If you have a leak i would take the valve out and check for straightness, if its just carbon and such you could get away by just facing the valves/regrinding the seat; if there is no mushrooming

cruizinmax 05-14-2005 12:40 AM

Re: (Takumi Fujiwara)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Takumi Fujiwara &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm curious, is this how machine shops check for bent valves? Or is the leaking method only checking for worn valve seals?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Valve seals and valve seats aren't the same thing. Valve seals have nothing to do with compression leakage. They keep oil from coming past the valve stems.

Chiovnidca 05-14-2005 04:29 AM

Re: how to check for bent/leaking valves..head is off car (SINFULintegXsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SINFULintegXsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i did that...now in 3 intake valves there is a slow slow leak...like it will drip maybe twice a minute..does it need new valves? or is there an alternative fix?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'd just pull them out and relap em. Sounds like they should clean right up.