Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Very fine red/rustish looking dust inside distributor cap??? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/very-fine-red-rustish-looking-dust-inside-distributor-cap-1222996/)

IloveNewt 04-23-2005 01:35 PM

Very fine red/rustish looking dust inside distributor cap???

As the subject states, there is this very fine redish/rustish looking dust covering the inside of my cap. Is this OK? Normal? Anyone else have this? My ignition setup is stock except for a msd blaster coil.

non-VTEC 04-23-2005 03:37 PM

Re: Very fine red/rustish looking dust inside distributor cap??? (MordecaiPSI)

i do belive that redish dust/rust is coming from your distributor bearing. its on it's way out......you should be replacing it soon. $$$

BlueSi2k 04-23-2005 04:03 PM

Re: Very fine red/rustish looking dust inside distributor cap??? (non-VTEC)

you may be gettin some moisture inside the cap. How did you run the wires from the external coil? Have you washed under your hood lately?

IloveNewt 04-23-2005 08:14 PM

Re: Very fine red/rustish looking dust inside distributor cap??? (BlueSi2k)

I am not sure what you mean by running the wires from my external coil. You know the H23 came with an external coil stock correct?

Are you sure this is a sign of the distributor going out? Dont dizzies make weird knocking sounds when they start going bad?

EE_Chris 04-23-2005 08:48 PM

They nicknamed it "Red Death" for a reason - your distributor bushing is about to go. You have to replace the sub-assembly.

FredoSP 04-23-2005 08:58 PM

Re: Very fine red/rustish looking dust inside distributor cap??? (EE_Chris)

what exactly is the distributor bushing?

havok hybrid 04-24-2005 01:38 AM

Re: Very fine red/rustish looking dust inside distributor cap??? (FredoSP)

IF you happen you be running a MSD cap .. the red dust is from the glue/filling its breaking down.....

Or its the bushing it you have stock cap.. or both

EE_Chris 04-24-2005 05:01 AM

Re: Very fine red/rustish looking dust inside distributor cap??? (FredoSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FredoSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what exactly is the distributor bushing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its what the distributor shaft spins on.

mrDFWmechanic 04-24-2005 07:50 AM

so when u see this " red death " you have to replace the whole dizzy then

IloveNewt 04-24-2005 08:25 AM

Re: (iROCKtheSOHC)

Damnit.......this distruibutor is less than 5,000 miles old. Anyone know where to get a new OEM dizzy thats not an arm and a leg?

BlueSi2k 04-24-2005 04:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MordecaiPSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not sure what you mean by running the wires from my external coil. You know the H23 came with an external coil stock correct?

Are you sure this is a sign of the distributor going out? Dont dizzies make weird knocking sounds when they start going bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, my bad. On b series you have to run the wires out from the internal coil.