Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Car feels wobbly/unstable/bouncy even driving on flat road. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/car-feels-wobbly-unstable-bouncy-even-driving-flat-road-1180462/)

rasinhell 03-15-2005 03:23 PM

Car feels wobbly/unstable/bouncy even driving on flat road.

Hey guys. My car wobbles almost or feels bouncy and unstable. LOL I know, confusing huh. I can't really explain it but it just doesn't feel safe. I'm on flat roads when i drive it, just up and down the block and it still feels bouncy.

Is this what bad bearings feels like?

eK9aT10pSi 03-15-2005 04:51 PM

Re: Car feels wobbly/unstable/bouncy even driving on flat road. (The-Beast)

a bad wheel bearing makes an annoying noise and shakes the car. the bouncing sounds like a blown strut issue.

r6samson 03-15-2005 04:55 PM

Ball joints is a possibility.

JP

rasinhell 03-16-2005 06:29 PM

Re: (r6samson)

will it really bounce though, even on flat road?

lumpbuzcut 03-16-2005 06:33 PM

Re: (The-Beast)

the slightest bump will make it ride like poop if you have a blown shock. feels super un-safe while doing 65 on a crappy highway.

EVIL Hx Coupe 03-16-2005 06:36 PM

Re: (lumpbuzcut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lumpbuzcut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the slightest bump will make it ride like poop if you have a blown shock. feels super un-safe while doing 65 on a crappy highway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats your suspension setup?? I'm almost positive you're riding on bumpstops.

' 03-16-2005 06:38 PM

possibly a messed up tie rod as well.

dohcdelsol 03-16-2005 06:59 PM

Re: (l337hxr)

wheels not in balance?

I know it would feel like a wobble but at a higher speed if that was the case.

Whats your suspension set up?

rasinhell 03-16-2005 08:11 PM

Re: (dohcdelsol)

Well the shocks are Billstien i dont know much more then that and the coilovers are ground control set like at 3.5in drop almost.

Here is the thing guys. A while back I was working on my car. I had swapped the motor in and then I went out the test drive it up and down the block. The car starts making a clicking noise and then the front left of the car drops. I was scared as fuck, even though I was just in the neighborhood and there was no immediate danger like getting hit from behind, it was a crazy experience. I look under the car and the nut for the lower ball joint is off, and the ball joint came out of the LCA and the entire tire was butterflied like / and it fucked up the fender. It was real crazy. And then I fix everything, replace the ball joint because it was messed up. And I test drive it and it feels wobblish and shit like I described.

So I guess it could be a host of factors, the shocks fucked up, maybe the tie rod got stretched out or something when the tire popped out. I just dont know.

Luckily it's not a daily driver, just a project so it isn't something that needs to be fixed immediately. But for now I just want to isolate the problem so i dont go out spending money on things I didn't need.

Yea i know what u guys are thinking, I shoulda told u the first time i posted how this happened lol.

rasinhell 03-16-2005 11:21 PM

bump

EVIL Hx Coupe 03-17-2005 04:33 AM

Do you have bumpstops in there??? When you lower your car you need to cut them in half, if not the car rests on them, or bounces off of them with minimal road imperfections... This causes crazy unestability and bouncing.

rasinhell 03-17-2005 01:55 PM

Re: (EVIL Hx Coupe)

hmm... well the thing is, the instability started after the incident where the balljoint nut came off and the wheel butterflied. It wasn't like that before it happened.

Sijray21 03-17-2005 02:45 PM

Re: (dohcdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wheels not in balance? </TD></TR></TABLE>

That was my thought, when was the last time you had your wheels balanced?

Could also be blown shocks or a bad alignment, check those. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

Wheel bearings will make a noise related to the speed at which you are traveling (ie: increasing noise, repeating more as you increase in speed)