Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988 - 1991) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/)
-   -   drivers side heater vent----crx (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/drivers-side-heater-vent-crx-1070001/)

limpy 11-29-2004 12:41 PM

drivers side heater vent----crx

I know that everyone with a crx has had the problem with the drivers side heater vent not closing like it should. every crx i've been in has had that problem. does anybody know how to fix it?

301am 11-29-2004 12:59 PM

mine works

jam4484 11-29-2004 01:08 PM

Re: (301am)

Mine just blows cold air even when the heat is on so I am curious as how to fix it too.

jon

NONVTECSI 11-29-2004 01:44 PM

Mine hardly blows even on full blast. I Think its just clogged with dirt.

itsallmotor 11-29-2004 01:59 PM

Re: (NONVTECSI)

mine works like a charm sorry

spyz34 11-29-2004 01:59 PM

Re: (jam4484)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jam4484 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine just blows cold air even when the heat is on so I am curious as how to fix it too.

jon</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto. I just noticed it a week ago. Always cold air. Any reasoning behind this phenomena(sp)??

ELAMINT5 11-29-2004 02:07 PM

Re: (spyz34)

https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif

erikiksaz1 11-29-2004 02:54 PM

Re: (spyz34)

I forgot how my old crx was set up, but i figure it's something similar to my hatch. Anyways, don't you guys have a slider right underneath the vent that allows either "recirculation" or "open circulation?"

My only gripe is that recirculation isn't as strong as it should be.

limpy 11-29-2004 02:56 PM

Re: (erikiksaz1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by erikiksaz1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I forgot how my old crx was set up, but i figure it's something similar to my hatch. Anyways, don't you guys have a slider right underneath the vent that allows either "recirculation" or "open circulation?"

My only gripe is that recirculation isn't as strong as it should be.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah... that is what i'm talking about. the fresh air is always stuck on so it blows the air from the outside of the car inside. i can't slide it over in order to get it into recirculation so that it will stop blowing the damn cold air.

T--Rex 11-29-2004 02:57 PM

Re: (erikiksaz1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by erikiksaz1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I forgot how my old crx was set up, but i figure it's something similar to my hatch. Anyways, don't you guys have a slider right underneath the vent that allows either "recirculation" or "open circulation?"

My only gripe is that recirculation isn't as strong as it should be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine has that switch below the vent, when it is on one side i get warm air through it... a tad weak, but still warm. When it is the other way i get cold air.

limpy 11-29-2004 04:23 PM

Re: (Matrix_Zero)

mine is stuck on the side that only gets cold air. how do i fix???????????????????

The Lobster 11-29-2004 04:31 PM

yea mine isnt stuck but on recircuit it sucks ass its getting cold in here now too:( and how small these cars are and how fast they fog up everythign helps!

erikiksaz1 11-29-2004 09:18 PM

Re: (limpy)

I remember a while back when my climate control slider was stuck as well. What happened was that i accidentally zip tied something to one of its sliding components in the back. Maybe the same thing happened with your air vent? Maybe you've got something jammed up there?

eda6 11-29-2004 09:45 PM

Re: (Matrix_Zero)

That vent fell out in my hatch. Is this a junkyard item or do i need a new dash?

mike_belben@yahoo.com 11-30-2004 12:59 AM

unscrew the left side change tray and look underneath. the vent slider has a cable that pulls an arm. it just opens or closes a door into the tunnel that is connected to the windshields high pressure base area. the faster you go, the higher the pressure and therefore more force on the vent. that vent is also connected to the heater/aC ducting like the others i believe, but the pressure overpowers the ventilation system until you close the door by sliding the lever.

atleast im pretty sure. i strip them all the time and dont pay much attention to anything but removing the cable. you have to to get the dash off.

limpy 11-30-2004 01:54 AM

Re: (mike_belben@yahoo.com)

all i want to know is how can i make it stick on recirculation instead of fresh air. i'm tired of that damn cold draft.

CRX Toad 11-30-2004 05:07 AM

You need to remove the coin tray as stated above, get your head under the dash and your feet on the headrest so you are completely under the dash. At this point the cable wil be in a black sheath or tube that connects the fresh air vent lever to the vent itself (it will be on you right at this point). You can remove the lever (the one on the dash) and cable but be careful and not break the white lever that is connected to the actual vent up by the firewall. At this point you can either replace the wire with a junkyard find, or the local hardware has this wire and you can repair it with a whole new piece. If you want a quick winter fix just move the white lever up by the firewall and you will hear the vent shut and you will receive warm air instead of the fresh outside air.

And no you don't need a new dash, and YOU DON'T NEED TO REMOVE THE DASH TO FIX THIS

Erik_Pb_Foot 11-30-2004 05:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by limpy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all i want to know is how can i make it stick on recirculation instead of fresh air. i'm tired of that damn cold draft.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike_belben@yahoo.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unscrew the left side change tray and look underneath. the vent slider has a cable that pulls an arm. it just opens or closes a door into the tunnel that is connected to the windshields high pressure base area.</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif

mike_belben@yahoo.com 11-30-2004 07:14 AM

thanks.. i didnt think it was very hard.

limpy 11-30-2004 12:21 PM

Re: (mike_belben@yahoo.com)

i took that whole thing appart and when i put it back in the dash it wouldn't turn of again. wtf?

CRX Toad 11-30-2004 12:28 PM

Also if you look in the drivers side vent you can see the "door" or "flap" that opens and closes, you can also take a long screw driver and SLOWLY close the vent don't force it. Take the vent out and you can really see the fresh air vent. That would be a last resort.

As far as why you took is part and put it back together and it still doesn't work might suggest that you put it in slighty wrong or something is binding in there that you can't see. Make sure that the lever that is attached to the dash is lubed and has some grease on it or it may have slight rust on it which would also bind it

If you lived in NC I would say bring it down but....OR is a ways away

limpy 11-30-2004 02:08 PM

Re: (CRX Toad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you lived in NC I would say bring it down but....OR is a ways away</TD></TR></TABLE>
just across the country... not to far, lol. i think ill take it apart later today and trace the wire back and find out what is going on. thanks guys.