Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Hybrid/Engine swaps
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2002, 02:47 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
mojoGSR92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Columbus, OH, USA
Posts: 1,022
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to mojoGSR92
Default Need assistance with vacuum hose routing (PICTURE DIAGRAM INSIDE)

My car has a lot of quirky problems right now which I think are mostly related to misrouted vacuum lines. I just got done doing the physical swapping of engines in my car and now I am down to trouble shooting. Here are the specs:

Car: 1992 Acura Integra GSR
Stock engine: 160HP OBDI USDM DOHC VTEC B17A
New engine : 170HP OBDI JDM DOHC VTEC B16A

Here is the vacuum diagram for my car. I'm sure other people have done similar swaps, and I can't find vacuum diagrams for this particular engine at all. I have included a diagram of how my engine is set up right now, and it isn't running well. If I turn on the headlights, or turn on the heater full the engine wants to stall. It runs well when warm or cold besides this. The brake pedal also feels very hard and has no play in it. It takes a tremendous amount of pedal pressure to bring the car to a stop.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks in advance guys, and any help is appreciated. Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
1998 Moss Green Pearl Jeep Cherokee 4D Sport 4WD
2007 Fiji Blue Pearl Civic Si Sedan - Returned to Honda
mojoGSR92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 12:26 AM   #2
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
brinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 870
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to brinks
Default Re: Need assistance with vacuum hose routing (mojoGSR92)

Where is the fpr cut solenoid? It is supposed to be hooked up the the regulator and is located right next to the purge cut sol. on the stock car. Each solenoid has individual electical connections, so they are controlled separatley by the ecu. If you only have one sol. available, make sure you use it for the regulator. I think it should be between the vacum source on the manifold and the regulator. I am assuming you are using the stock 92-93 sensors, solenoids and other hardware except for the manifold. The way you have the t going to the purge cut solenoid like that might cause problems with the regulator getting proper vacum.
__________________
Brinks
DA Sedan
brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 04:30 AM   #3
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Fayetteville, NC, US
Posts: 165
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Need assistance with vacuum hose routing (mojoGSR92)

the inline valve between the brake booster and the manifold looks to be turned the wrong way, it only blows in one direction so flip it around and see if that fixes your brake pressure problem, now what else is wrong with the vacuum system,, bog, lopey idle, what up......hard shitty idle could be from the MAP, other than that it should run ok. Brink made a good point about the vacuum source for the FPR, but there should be enough air going there....try, if you can, runing a T-fitting on a slightly less crucial vacuum source.
__________________
Love to Hybrid.honda-perf.org [img]http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/h-emblem1.gif[/img]
Hyper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 04:37 AM   #4
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Fayetteville, NC, US
Posts: 165
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Need assistance with vacuum hose routing (mojoGSR92)

also if it wants to stall, are you using a compensator....on the older model B16's and ZCs and LS motors there was a compensator valve mounted on the T/B, when its cold it nudges the throttle open a couple more degrees. when you run accessories like lights, heat and AC you ever notice that in norml conditions the idle would jump up slightly when you use those items....if yours isnt doing that then you may not have it connected, or you may not have one. but it receives a vacuum also. I removed mine, so so it idles pretty low if i have anything running....around 500-600 rpm instead of 900. it shouldnt stall, you might also want to adjust your idle screw open a little more this should alllow the motor to run a little smoother at idle. HTH
__________________
Love to Hybrid.honda-perf.org [img]http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/h-emblem1.gif[/img]
Hyper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 04:00 PM   #5
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
mojoGSR92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Columbus, OH, USA
Posts: 1,022
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to mojoGSR92
Default Re: Need assistance with vacuum hose routing (brinks)

Quote:
Brinks
Where is the fpr cut solenoid? It is supposed to be hooked up the the regulator and is located right next to the purge cut sol. on the stock car. Each solenoid has individual electical connections, so they are controlled separatley by the ecu. If you only have one sol. available, make sure you use it for the regulator. I think it should be between the vacum source on the manifold and the regulator. I am assuming you are using the stock 92-93 sensors, solenoids and other hardware except for the manifold. The way you have the t going to the purge cut solenoid like that might cause problems with the regulator getting proper vacum.
Brinks, I looked in the Helm's manual in section 11-96 and it looks to be a B18B1 only sensor. Also, I went outside and checked and this has never been on my car and I haven't removed any sensors from the engine bay. Do you have a suggestion of where I should hook up the T-fitting then because I have one more line coming out than I have places to put it in, so a T-fitting is necessary somewhere. (Please keep in mind I labeled the vacuum lines just for this reason, so you can specifically help me) I also wanted to mention that this is a 2nd generation B16A and this is the same manifold that came with the engine, and is on the car right now.

Quote:
Hyper9
the inline valve between the brake booster and the manifold looks to be turned the wrong way, it only blows in one direction so flip it around and see if that fixes your brake pressure problem, now what else is wrong with the vacuum system,, bog, lopey idle, what up......hard shitty idle could be from the MAP, other than that it should run ok. Brink made a good point about the vacuum source for the FPR, but there should be enough air going there....try, if you can, runing a T-fitting on a slightly less crucial vacuum source.
Thanks for the brake check-valve tip. I figured that out on my own last night. Click the image to open in full size. Also for you hyper9, do you have any suggestions of where I should put the T-fitting if I shouldn't put it there? (Please keep in mind I labeled the vacuum lines just for this reason, so you can specifically help me)

Quote:
also if it wants to stall, are you using a compensator....on the older model B16's and ZCs and LS motors there was a compensator valve mounted on the T/B, when its cold it nudges the throttle open a couple more degrees. when you run accessories like lights, heat and AC you ever notice that in norml conditions the idle would jump up slightly when you use those items....if yours isnt doing that then you may not have it connected, or you may not have one. but it receives a vacuum also. I removed mine, so so it idles pretty low if i have anything running....around 500-600 rpm instead of 900. it shouldnt stall, you might also want to adjust your idle screw open a little more this should alllow the motor to run a little smoother at idle. HTH
As for compensator, do you mean a dashpot?
__________________
1998 Moss Green Pearl Jeep Cherokee 4D Sport 4WD
2007 Fiji Blue Pearl Civic Si Sedan - Returned to Honda
mojoGSR92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 04:03 PM   #6
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
mojoGSR92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Columbus, OH, USA
Posts: 1,022
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to mojoGSR92
Default Re: Need assistance with vacuum hose routing (mojoGSR92)

Here are some more pictures for you:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.


[Modified by mojoGSR92, 8:03 PM 3/15/2002]
__________________
1998 Moss Green Pearl Jeep Cherokee 4D Sport 4WD
2007 Fiji Blue Pearl Civic Si Sedan - Returned to Honda
mojoGSR92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 08:22 PM   #7
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Fayetteville, NC, US
Posts: 165
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Need assistance with vacuum hose routing (mojoGSR92)

yea instead of running the T fitting so that the main flow is cut in half run the T inline from the manifold to the FPR. in other words run the vacuum line directly to the FPR with the longest portion of the T in direct line with the FPR this should allow a better flow to the regulator....also i do mean the dashpot but its pretty obvious that motor doesnt have it....so its got to be something else in there that compensated for accessory load at idle
__________________
Love to Hybrid.honda-perf.org [img]http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/h-emblem1.gif[/img]
Hyper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 08:52 PM   #8
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
555R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Toms River, NJ, United States
Posts: 1,448
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to 555R
Default Re: Need assistance with vacuum hose routing (Hyper9)

anyone have the routing diagram for a 98 GSR into the 93 Si
my canister has a few lines not hooked up and i found one hose not even plugged or connected--hissing vaccuum leak
explained my weird hunting idle
but cant figure out the proper hoses for the charcoal canister
__________________
AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every ************ in the room. Accept no substitutes.


"People love machines in 2029 A.D.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?"
555R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 09:56 PM   #9
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
brinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 870
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to brinks
Default Re: Need assistance with vacuum hose routing (mojoGSR92)

Yeah, I just checked my manual, the sensor is only on the b18b. Regardles, I would run the vacum line directly from the nipple right behind it on the front of the manifold, and tee the vacum for the PSC somewhere else. When we swapped a b16 into my buddy's teg, I had to try several different vacum setups to get it to run right, so with some luch, you will eventaually be able to fix it.
__________________
Brinks
DA Sedan
brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 08:22 AM   #10
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
mojoGSR92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Columbus, OH, USA
Posts: 1,022
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to mojoGSR92
Default Re: Need assistance with vacuum hose routing (brinks)

Quote:
Yeah, I just checked my manual, the sensor is only on the b18b. Regardles, I would run the vacum line directly from the nipple right behind it on the front of the manifold, and tee the vacum for the PSC somewhere else. When we swapped a b16 into my buddy's teg, I had to try several different vacum setups to get it to run right, so with some luch, you will eventaually be able to fix it.
So take line #3 and #2 and make that one line without a T-fitting correct? Then I would have a direct and sole vacuum source running to the FPR from the intake manifold. Please correct me if I have misunderstood your suggestion. I also wanted to add that the car is running really rich and misfiring around around 1000-3000 rpm, but I haven't adjusted the timing yet. (I am sorting out an electrical short before I even start the car again, but plan on doing the timing first thing after the electrical problem.)

So now I'm in a quandry as to where to run the #4 line for the positive control solenoid valve (PCS). I probably don't want to hook that into the MAP sensor as I've heard that it is very particular about it's vacuum source. (I may be wrong) I'm not sure that simply capping it off one fitting on it would be a good idea.

Here are all my options now:
1) Splice it into 8 (Charcoal canister to throttle body)
2) Splice it into 7 (Basically routing the PCS vacuum back into itself, doesn't sound smart)
3) Splice it into 1 (MAP sensor's source of vacuum)
4) Splice it into 9 (Charcoal canister, Doesn't seem like a good idea, but I honestly don't know)

Thanks for the help so far guys. You have been a big help! Click the image to open in full size.
Now it's time to figure out why this happened (see below), and then I can get back to trouble shooting my vacuum problems.
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
1998 Moss Green Pearl Jeep Cherokee 4D Sport 4WD
2007 Fiji Blue Pearl Civic Si Sedan - Returned to Honda
mojoGSR92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 02:55 PM   #11
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
mojoGSR92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Columbus, OH, USA
Posts: 1,022
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to mojoGSR92
Default Re: Need assistance with vacuum hose routing (mojoGSR92)

Quote:
So take line #3 and #2 and make that one line without a T-fitting correct? Then I would have a direct and sole vacuum source running to the FPR from the intake manifold. Please correct me if I have misunderstood your suggestion.

So now I'm in a quandry as to where to run the #4 line for the positive control solenoid valve (PCS). I probably don't want to hook that into the MAP sensor as I've heard that it is very particular about it's vacuum source. (I may be wrong) I'm not sure that simply capping it off one fitting on it would be a good idea.

Here are all my options now:
1) Splice it into 8 (Charcoal canister to throttle body)
2) Splice it into 7 (Basically routing the PCS vacuum back into itself, doesn't sound smart)
3) Splice it into 1 (MAP sensor's source of vacuum)
4) Splice it into 9 (Charcoal canister, Doesn't seem like a good idea, but I honestly don't know)
Fixed the electrical problem. Only things left to do are figure out the vacuum routing, adjust the TPS sensor, and do a valve adjustment. Woo Hoo! Click the image to open in full size.

Still waiting on an answer for the above quote. Anybody have any insight on this?
__________________
1998 Moss Green Pearl Jeep Cherokee 4D Sport 4WD
2007 Fiji Blue Pearl Civic Si Sedan - Returned to Honda
mojoGSR92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 09:04 AM   #12
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
mojoGSR92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Columbus, OH, USA
Posts: 1,022
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to mojoGSR92
Default Re: Need assistance with vacuum hose routing (mojoGSR92)

Brinks and hyper9 disappear?

*Jonathan looks around the forum.* Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
1998 Moss Green Pearl Jeep Cherokee 4D Sport 4WD
2007 Fiji Blue Pearl Civic Si Sedan - Returned to Honda
mojoGSR92 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Tags
1993, 47, b18, detaild, diagram, gsr, honda, hose, inside, intake, integra, manifold, routing, vacuum, wwwak

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:00 PM.



2008 Copyright, InternetBrands Inc.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-Tech.com content, comments, or advertising. Honda-Tech.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-Tech.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.
Emails & Contact Details