Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 73
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

I just got my replacement tranny for my 99 vtec and wanted to know if you have to pre fill the torque converter or not before putting it in, could find anything through searches:/
nghtshd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,083
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Yes, pre-fill....
__________________
My child arrived just the other day; he came to the world in the usual way

I can explian it to you, I CANNOT understand it for you
Lost Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Honda-Tech Member
 
P_Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 6,456
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtshd88 View Post
I just got my replacement tranny for my 99 vtec and wanted to know if you have to pre fill the torque converter or not before putting it in, could find anything through searches:/
By all means Pre-fill. The Converter holds the majority of the Transmission Fluid and you can do damage if you don't.

P
__________________
#1 '97 CD7 SE Accord Coupe San Marino Red / #2 '96 CD7 LX Accord Coupe Arctic White / #3 '96 EJ8 EX Civic Coupe Black / #4 '88 LXi Coupe (spare)
One more "What's the Top Speed..." thread and I think I'll flame someone
P_Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 73
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

How much does it take? and doesnt the fluid put in the trans seep into the torque converter?
nghtshd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Honda-Tech Member
 
MAD_MIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 94577
Posts: 3,748
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Put a quart into the TC, lube the seals and snout of the TC with ATF as well. Install it you should feel/hear three audible clicks/clunks during install. Rotate the TC as you install it to make sure you have engaged the steps. Faster install would be to note where the notches are in the pump and line up the TC to it.
After install, rotate the TC several times to make sure the interior is coated with some lube. After transmission install, fill the transmission up the the full mark, start the car, and keep adding transmission fluid until the fluid level stabilizes. Then shift through each gear holding it in gear for ~10seconds, place back into park and check fluid level. Keep doing this until the fluid level finally stabilizes and you have the correct amount of fluid in the transmission.
MAD_MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 73
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Thanks, put it in and once I go into gear after park it sounds dry.. Like the torque converter is dry? Unless its suppose to sound this was for a a short while..
nghtshd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
B*a*n*n*e*d
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,029
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

I did this but somehow ended up spilling some of it. Before that, I filled it up mostly with "Lucas ATF fluid conditioner", and some of it was Honda fluid. I only have a little less than 3 quarts of Honda fluid now. I do however have some Lucas Transmission Fix but it is quite thick. Should I fill it up with that or should I only use the Honda fluid? (which I don't have much of). I was thinking of just getting some Valvoline Maxlife to put in it; that stuff works good.


Check out my thread about my JDM AT. I just received it today.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...87#post3046587
Mishako129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Honda-Tech Member
 
slowcivic2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,398
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Use Honda ATF or Dex ATF of the appropriate type, I believe IV is correct for that transaxle. Make a video of the noise, is it like a cavitation noise?

Most converters come with a little bit of oil in them, because of balance/vibration testing. You should not pre-fill a converter or a filter on anything. You can introduce particulates in the system. You will not cause converter damage by not filling it, there is nothing to damage, none of the parts touch each other.
__________________
Retired ASE Master Technician/Advanced Level Specialist
slowcivic2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
Honda-Tech Member
 
MAD_MIKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 94577
Posts: 3,748
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishako129 View Post
I did this but somehow ended up spilling some of it.
Being a used trans/converter it will have fluid in it already. I wouldn't be too worried about the TC having fluid in it. Due to the donut shape of the TC, it's pretty hard to drain out all the fluid from the snout.
Now if it was a new TC, I would stick a quart in there to be sure for two reasons. One the TC has moving parts. Two this helps prime the system faster.
Click the image to open in full size.
*This image may be a bit confusing as the 'Pump' is normally called the 'Impeller'. Pump is usually retained for the vane pump that is inside the transmission which is driven directly by the engine via the TC housing, the multi-toothed snout of the H4A TC.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishako129 View Post
Before that, I filled it up mostly with "Lucas ATF fluid conditioner", and some of it was Honda fluid. I only have a little less than 3 quarts of Honda fluid now. I do however have some Lucas Transmission Fix but it is quite thick. Should I fill it up with that or should I only use the Honda fluid?
(which I don't have much of). I was thinking of just getting some Valvoline Maxlife to put in it; that stuff works good.
I would only use Honda ATF.
Dexron II is only to be used in case of emergency. Lucas or any other 'one type fits all' fluid I would avoid. There is a reason why there are so many different types of ATFs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcivic2k
You will not cause converter damage by not filling it, there is nothing to damage, none of the parts touch each other.
Wut? The turbine and stator don't just float in space.
MAD_MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
B*a*n*n*e*d
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,029
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE View Post
Being a used trans/converter it will have fluid in it already. I wouldn't be too worried about the TC having fluid in it. Due to the donut shape of the TC, it's pretty hard to drain out all the fluid from the snout.
Now if it was a new TC, I would stick a quart in there to be sure for two reasons. One the TC has moving parts. Two this helps prime the system faster.
When I got the trans it didn't have but hardly any fluid in it. The guy at JDMDepot said they are forced to drain it out during import.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE View Post

Click the image to open in full size.
*This image may be a bit confusing as the 'Pump' is normally called the 'Impeller'. Pump is usually retained for the vane pump that is inside the transmission which is driven directly by the engine via the TC housing, the multi-toothed snout of the H4A TC.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE View Post

I would only use Honda ATF.
Dexron II is only to be used in case of emergency. Lucas or any other 'one type fits all' fluid I would avoid. There is a reason why there are so many different types of ATFs.


Wut? The turbine and stator don't just float in space.
Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is recommended for the following vehicles. Its not really a "one type fits all" fluid.


Specs
Recommended for use where the following fluids are specified:
Ford MERCONŽ, MERCONŽ V, MERCONŽ SP and LV
GM DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI
Toyota and Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS
Allison TES 295 and 389
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K
Honda and Acura ATF Z-1 (except CVT)
Mercedes NAG-1
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III
Kia SP-II and SP-III
Mishako129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Honda-Tech Member
 
DCFIVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: failing a car near you.....
Posts: 3,480
iTrader Rating: (0)
DCFIVER
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishako129 View Post
When I got the trans it didn't have but hardly any fluid in it. The guy at JDMDepot said they are forced to drain it out during import.





Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is recommended for the following vehicles. Its not really a "one type fits all" fluid.


Specs
Recommended for use where the following fluids are specified:
Ford MERCONŽ, MERCONŽ V, MERCONŽ SP and LV
GM DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI
Toyota and Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS
Allison TES 295 and 389
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K
Honda and Acura ATF Z-1 (except CVT)
Mercedes NAG-1
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III
Kia SP-II and SP-III
Hehe, so do you think all of the above listed trans fluids have the same properties, or do you simply believe the Maxlife fluid some how covers the entire spectrum of the fluids listed???
__________________
ASE Master/L1 Technician
DCFIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
B*a*n*n*e*d
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,029
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFIVER View Post
Hehe, so do you think all of the above listed trans fluids have the same properties, or do you simply believe the Maxlife fluid some how covers the entire spectrum of the fluids listed???


Quote:
"There are countless Honda Odyssey owners using Valvoline Maxlife ATF in thier Z-1 spec'd Odys. Maxlife is a "suitable for Z-1 use" ATF per it's specs. Obviously none are going to be approved by Honda. Keep in mind the Odyssey has probably the worst track record in regards to transmission longevity and Maxlife does excellent in them. There's not a single failure report of one running Maxlife that I've seen."

Joel

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1631140&page=1
Mishako129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Honda-Tech Member
 
DCFIVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: failing a car near you.....
Posts: 3,480
iTrader Rating: (0)
DCFIVER
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishako129 View Post
You, nor that thread, answered my question. Additionally, anecdotal evidence is dubious at best. Hell even in that very thread the use of Maxlife is debated. ATF fluids are proprietary blends and one size does not now, nor will it ever, cover all...
__________________
ASE Master/L1 Technician

Last edited by DCFIVER; 09-01-2012 at 05:34 PM.
DCFIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
Honda-Tech Member
 
DCFIVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: failing a car near you.....
Posts: 3,480
iTrader Rating: (0)
DCFIVER
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE View Post
Wut? The turbine and stator don't just float in space.
The turbine sits on splines . The stator sits on the center shaft. Both in their respective haves. The fluid is not used mainly for lubrication, it is used for cooling and hydraulic/centrifugal force. There is no need to prefill a converter. No damage will occur.
__________________
ASE Master/L1 Technician

Last edited by DCFIVER; 09-01-2012 at 09:39 PM.
DCFIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #15
Honda-Tech Member
 
slowcivic2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,398
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Use the fluid the manufacturer states in the service manual or owners manual. If you read it, they make it abundantly clear that longevity, performance and noise vibration and harshness may result from not using OEM fluid. I could care less if Maxlife was 100 times better than OEM, use what they tell you to use and if you have problems, its on the manufacturer.
__________________
Retired ASE Master Technician/Advanced Level Specialist
slowcivic2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #16
Honda-Tech Member
 
djkurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Vergne, Tn, USA
Posts: 856
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcivic2k View Post
Use the fluid the manufacturer states in the service manual or owners manual. If you read it, they make it abundantly clear that longevity, performance and noise vibration and harshness may result from not using OEM fluid. I could care less if Maxlife was 100 times better than OEM, use what they tell you to use and if you have problems, its on the manufacturer.
^ this
__________________
95 Accord EX MT
djkurious is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Tags
88, accored, acura, civic, converter, convertrt, damage, fill, filled, filling, honda, integra, pre, torq, torque

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So I got a new job ILcrxsi1 General Discussion and Debate 17 03-14-2014 11:24 AM
are automatic and standard from torque mounts the same? SQ is the SQUAD Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) 6 07-11-2011 06:21 PM
Replacing torque converter, What to go with? SiR Inspired ED7 Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) 11 03-30-2009 05:01 PM
Good older (pre 1980) 2 seater convertible? EH3Kid85 General Discussion and Debate 29 03-04-2005 11:14 AM
88 Accord LXi specs Evan55 Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) 6 11-14-2002 08:11 AM



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:43 PM.



2014 Copyright, InternetBrands Inc.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-Tech.com content, comments, or advertising. Honda-Tech.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-Tech.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.
Emails & Contact Details