After 19,000 threads about how to do this, I decided there was a need for one of these. I thought there was one.. but I dunno. Motion to sticky ... mods if you wanna change the thread title to "how to .... " that would be kew.. i forgot to add that.
1. If your check engine light is on, start by going to your passenger side kickpanel.
There should be a blue connector w/2 wires to it like the one pictured below.
Put a paper clip, wire, connector in it to connect the two prongs.
2. Put the key in the ignition, and turn the key 2 clicks to the acc on, where all the lights light up on the dash.
3. You will now watch how many times the CEL light blinks.
a long blink = 10
a short blink = 1
It will repeat after all the codes are done.
4. Compare to this list to see what the problem is:
1 O2A - Oxygen sensor #1
2 O2B - Oxygen sensor #2
3 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
4 CKP - crank position sensor
5 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
6 ECT - water temperature sensor
7 TPS - throttle position sensor
8 TDC - top dead centre sensor
9 CYP - cylinder sensor
10 IAT - intake air temperature sensor
12 EGR - exhaust gas recirculation lift valve
13 BARO - atmospheric pressure sensor
14 IAC (EACV) - idle air control valve
15 Ignition output signal
16 Fuel injectors
17 VSS - speed sensor
19 Automatic transmission lockup control valve
20 Electrical load detector
21 VTEC spool solenoid valve
22 VTEC pressure valve
23 Knock sensor
30 Automatic transmission A signal
31 Automatic transmission B signal
36 traction control found on JDM ecu's
41 Primary oxygen sensor heater
43 Fuel supply system
45 Fuel system too rich or lean
48 LAF - lean air fuel sensor
54 CKF - crank fluctuation sensor
58 TDC sensor #2
61 Primary oxygen sensor
63 Secondary oxygen sensor
65 Secondary oxygen sensor heater
71 random misfire cylinder 1
72 random misfire cylinder 2
73 random misfire cylinder 3
74 random misfire cylinder 4
80 Exhaust Gas Recirculation insufficient flow detected
86 ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature) circuit range / performance problem
90 Evaporative Emission Control System leak detected in the fuel tank area
91 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor low input
92 Evaporative Emission Control System insufficient purge flow
1-Lock-up solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted.
2-Lock-up solenoid 'B' circuit open or shorted.
3-Throttle Position Sensor circuit open or shorted.
4-Vehicle Speed Sensor open or shorted - No signal from speedometer.
5-Shift Lever Position Switch circuit shorted.
6-Shift Lever Position Switch circuit open.
7-Shift Solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted.
8-Shift Solenoid 'B' circuit open or shorted.
9-Counter shaft or transmission speed pulse generator open or shorted.
10-Coolant Temperature Sensor open or shorted.
11-Engine RPM (Ignition coil signal) open or shorted.
12-(No code 12 used)
13-Main shaft speed pulse generator open or shorted.
14-Linear (line pressure control) solenoid open or shorted.
15-Kick down switch circuit shorted.
1. Disconnect Negative battery terminal (never only take off the positive, cuz it can kill the battery when it grounds all the power out, if left for a while)
2. Look in the Underhood fuse box, find the "Hazard" Fuse. Pull it out.
3. Let the car sit for 10-15 minutes
4. Reattach neg battery terminal and put fuse back in
5. Restart car w/nothing on (radio, lights, a/c) and just let it run for a few minutes.
6. Turn off, and then it should be good to go.